User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is there a BEST tune to use ?

Supposedly it will be ok for old timers, but anyone who bought one since it went down will have to pay to do a training course in using ATR. Last I saw I think was $100-150 USD. If so, a massive and expensive pain in the ass! fingers crossed though

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    Yep. It's pretty shit. Paid training to use a product. VT and ecutek will get more business I guess @Nexus were you planning on an etune or diy? If the former then it shouldn't make much difference, if the later then you are SOL I'm afraid did you buy it new or second hand?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
    Bought new. I pressed them on Cost and got the $100 to $150 figure from them. I'm not aware of it being published elsewhere outside of the article comments yet.
    I didn't have a concrete plan for the tuning except that I had found what I believed was a safe uptune plan, running 98 octane and stepping up to a generic stage 2, probably "safe" variation at first, with 2XS MAF calibration/scaling applied. I knew I needed ATR and intended to liase with experienced people along the way but could start with what is basically an off the shelf tune with MAF calibration for intended inlet. Watch the metrics from logs in order to be confident all is well.

I'm not totally opposed to training, presuming it is more than marketing fluff and drumming in a $150 legal acknowledgement of "if you get this wrong, bad emissions / big boom"
    I am kinda opposed to buying product with an available feature set and receiving a product with a reduced feature set.

If they don't let it exceed the price it's set at that's not a terrible price to pay to get ATR; there is a reasonable case to be made that that's a responsible requirement for them to impose. It's just not great to purchase something and get less than you thought you were buying.

In terms of how I'll proceed with tuning, I guess I'm now limited to an e-tune until the training program is open and I do the training. Or take it to someone who tunes Cobb. That's not the end of the world, but it will be less "hands on" and more do-it-for-me, and even more $ unless I wait until I can do it myself.

Is there anyone in BNE / SEQ who does cobb tuning? Who might be recommended?
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

It was published on the subie forums in the states and on MSF

but yes, looking at $100-150 USD, but it's not certain if it's going to be car specific or just a general course... because tuning a PI subie, is different to a DI subie, which is different to a focus ST or MPS... all the platforms have their quirks and can't be covered in one course...

i'm not sure if there is any --> GOOD <-- cobb tuners in brisbane, but what you can do is organise with an e-tuner in the states, and rent a dyno locally and they'll do it from there.

it's effectively exactly the same process, do a WOT run, look at logs, make adjustments etc... self tuning can be rewarding, but knowing engine limits is also very important...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    ... i'm not sure if there is any --> GOOD <-- cobb tuners in brisbane, but what you can do is organise with an e-tuner in the states, and rent a dyno locally and they'll do it from there...
    Any specific suggestions? I see apparently HP-F support cobb COBB Tuning – Accessport V3 « Horsepower Factory
    Anyone tried?
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

Freek & Stratified have done remote tunes that I know of...

Tunehouse also do it... either way you're looking at a good trek to get it done locally... a remote tuner is able to do just as much as a dyno tuner, and having them do it all via email, makes it much easier than going interstate for a tiny adjustment

Does anyone know is the COBB Site has the RACETUNER Software back up online to download yet?

Quote Originally Posted by andymoocow View Post
    Does anyone know is the COBB Site has the RACETUNER Software back up online to download yet?
    End of July was the last I've seen...

But it's going to cost money now
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

8. Default

I finally got my versatune installed in my car and had it for a couple of days now and am quite pleased with it. Im just using the custom tunes that come with it, but notice the boost alot more and really like the smooth shift feature. It makes the clutch feel so much better and think this is how the car should come standard.

Glad you got it all up and running smoothly!

The tunes are pretty safe and reasonable from what I've seen! And yeah, big boost in driveability

Being a newbie Im a little lost here guys. I was about to pull the trigger on a used AP that was from a gen 2.
    If I buy it, will it work on a different ecu, or is it somehow locked to the original owners ecu?
    Is there something im missing here?
    The seller stated that he used a stage 1 tune on his bl and it was already programmed into the AP.
    Are these safe to run? Clearly a custom tune is better and safer for the particular car - given no 2 cars are the same.
    Just after advice to avoid a $795 tune by HPF TBH....
    If theres a reliable way, please explain?

Thanks in advance.

The AP is a long relied upon tuning tool for the mps platform.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It's cross platform on the mps range as far as I know but if you're buying secondhand just ensure that it's unmarried. Basically that means it's been uninstalled from previous vehicle before sale.

There are OTS off the shelf tunes preloaded by cobb that can be utilized depending on mods. As you've noted, customized tunes are better and available via different methods which ultimately are cheaper than getting custom tunes from hpf every time you make a big change.

Be aware the tuning path for the mps doesn't run to the standard chuck a big exhaust for big hp mod route. Check out this link for a bit of a guide to your research 🖒

http://stratifiedauto.com/blog/the-m...speed-vehicle/

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Being a newbie Im a little lost here guys. I was about to pull the trigger on a used AP that was from a gen 2.
    If I buy it, will it work on a different ecu, or is it somehow locked to the original owners ecu?
    Is there something im missing here?
    The seller stated that he used a stage 1 tune on his bl and it was already programmed into the AP.
    Are these safe to run? Clearly a custom tune is better and safer for the particular car - given no 2 cars are the same.
    Just after advice to avoid a $795 tune by HPF TBH....
    If theres a reliable way, please explain?

Thanks in advance.
    As long as it's unmarried from the original car, then you can put it on yours and it'll adapt to only show maps for your car

How can I know that the previous owner 'unmarried' it?
    Ive made my decision and put a deposit down today on a gen 1 with 66k on the dial. WOOHOO!

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    How can I know that the previous owner 'unmarried' it?
    Ive made my decision and put a deposit down today on a gen 1 with 66k on the dial. WOOHOO!
    When they plug it in (either a car or usb port) there should be an option to "install"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123