User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a BEST tune to use ?

1. Default Is there a BEST tune to use ?

Hey guys, im buying a mps this Friday and have been reading a bit about tunes and was wondering is there a best type of tune to use for a standard mps as i can see a fair few different companies doing them, but i have only really read about ECU TEK , would this be the best one for a standard mps if i were to go for one ?

I used to own an astra turbo and flashed the ecu in this and noticed quite a bit of difference without upgrading much else. I dont think i will mod my mps but was considering a flash tune because i read the mps doesnt really boost much in the lower revs of 1st and 2nd and thought the tune would fix this ?

90% of the time its more to do with the tuner than the software.

The COBB access port is the most common tuning software used for our cars, mainly due to it giving a monitoring device integrated with the tuning device.

Who are you looking at tuning you?

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    90% of the time its more to do with the tuner than the software.

The COBB access port is the most common tuning software used for our cars, mainly due to it giving a monitoring device integrated with the tuning device.

Who are you looking at tuning you?
    Im still not sure if im going to get one, but if i were i just wanted to get a flash done just to remove the lack of boost in the lower revs in 1st and 2nd. I still havent driven the mps yet, its just what i have read, but ive only read about ECU TEK so far.

Btw, i am in Brisbane.

You'll pay much less for an accessport and tuning than for ecutek.

You'll also find returning to a stock tune is also easier with AP than ecutek.

You can have multiple tunes loaded on an AP and can then select the appropriate tune for what you're trying to achieve ie. Drag, street, economy etc. The ecutek tune will require a third party to make the changes for you...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

5. Default

Well i will see how i go with the car once i get it if im happy with the performance without touching the ecu.

I know once you start modding things you start to get problems. But i thought if i only did a ecu foash, it would fix the problem with the boost in the low gears in the lower revs which i have read about in these cars, but they reakon 3rd is great.

I used to own a astra turbo and the boost feeling was great in that car. Even though it was a small turbo, you only really had to tap the accelerator less maybe 1/4 before the boost kicked in and it was exaggerated which felt great . Im hoping to get the same kind of felling out of this car without having to do much to it or maybe anything at all.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMPS View Post
    Well i will see how i go with the car once i get it if im happy with the performance without touching the ecu.

I know once you start modding things you start to get problems. But i thought if i only did a ecu foash, it would fix the problem with the boost in the low gears in the lower revs which i have read about in these cars, but they reakon 3rd is great.

I used to own a astra turbo and the boost feeling was great in that car. Even though it was a small turbo, you only really had to tap the accelerator less maybe 1/4 before the boost kicked in and it was exaggerated which felt great . Im hoping to get the same kind of felling out of this car without having to do much to it or maybe anything at all.
    With the AP, it is not only the performance, you can also use it as a tool to diagnose what is wrong or something about to go wrong (ZZB). With the 1st and 2nd gear issue, just switch off the DSC no need for an ECU flash.

7. Default

so buy switching it off, it can give me more boost and come on earlier in the lower gears ?

I have had my car tuned more times than anybody and on both platforms now so I have a good perspective.

Throughout the history of my car I have had it tuned using ECUTEK, I have done a custom E Tune using the Accessport, and most recently I have had a custom Dyno tune using the Accessport again.

If given my time all over again, I would get an ECUTEK tune dyno tuned properly the first time and just stick with it. If you want a gadget that can diagnose CEL's and do other things then a simple OBD Scanner will do that.

The main problem I have with the AP is that its steering wheel angle sensor (SWAS) disable option is bullshit. ECUTEK actually does it properly.
    Most people won't notice this but in a half assed attempt to stop motoring journalists from complaining about torque steer, Mazda mapped the ECU to apply a rich fuel mixture when the steering wheel is turned in order to dull the torque output exiting corners. This works fine on a standard tune but after you have had a custom tune done the default SWAS map is no longer suitable and causes completely retarded engine stutter when exiting 3rd gear corners. You won't notice it on the street, but at the racetrack this makes the tune not just bad, but completely undriveable.

The other problem is datalogging on the street for tuning purposes is just so time consuming, it takes weeks for you to do multiple iterations and reach a final tune. I live in the inner city so I needed to drive for an hour just to get a clear road, this costs you fuel and runs the risk of getting booked by the cops every single time. An E Tune costs about $300, while a dyno tune is about $1100.

Tunehouse are Cobb dealers now, and recently tuned my car on their dyno using my Accessport. The result I got is quite a lot stronger than the E Tune was, but still lacks the driveability that my ECUTEK tune did. Both in boost response, top end and throttle modulation. The fact you can have the car turned around in 24 hours, no risk of getting busted by the cops, and get a better overall result makes the extra money a complete no brainer to me.

The ability to switch between multiple maps is a great feature of the AP, but nobody actually needs that unless they are running E85.

So there's my own experience, at the moment I am pretty unhappy with the turbo response my car is giving me so in searching for that gremlin I will probably need to have the car tuned yet again. In that case once I have everything the way I want it, I will most likely be settling back for an ECUTEK tune and just getting rid of the AP. Then life should be simpler, and faster.
    Last edited by Reedy; 27-05-2016 at 10:59 AM.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    I have had my car tuned more times than anybody and on both platforms now so I have a good perspective.

Throughout the history of my car I have had it tuned using ECUTEK, I have done a custom E Tune using the Accessport, and most recently I have had a custom Dyno tune using the Accessport again.

If given my time all over again, I would get an ECUTEK tune dyno tuned properly the first time and just stick with it. If you want a gadget that can diagnose CEL's and do other things then a simple OBD Scanner will do that.

The main problem I have with the AP is that its steering wheel angle sensor (SWAS) disable option is bullshit. ECUTEK actually does it properly.
    Most people won't notice this but in a half assed attempt to stop motoring journalists from complaining about torque steer, Mazda mapped the ECU to apply a rich fuel mixture when the steering wheel is turned in order to dull the torque output exiting corners. This works fine on a standard tune but after you have had a custom tune done the default SWAS map is no longer suitable and causes completely retarded engine stutter when exiting 3rd gear corners. You won't notice it on the street, but at the racetrack this makes the tune not just bad, but completely undriveable.

The other problem is datalogging on the street for tuning purposes is just so time consuming, it takes weeks for you to do multiple iterations and reach a final tune. I live in the inner city so I needed to drive for an hour just to get a clear road, this costs you fuel and runs the risk of getting booked by the cops every single time. An E Tune costs about $300, while a dyno tune is about $1100.

Tunehouse are Cobb dealers now, and recently tuned my car on their dyno using my Accessport. The result I got is quite a lot stronger than the E Tune was, but still lacks the driveability that my ECUTEK tune did. Both in boost response, top end and throttle modulation. The fact you can have the car turned around in 24 hours, no risk of getting busted by the cops, and get a better overall result makes the extra money a complete no brainer to me.

The ability to switch between multiple maps is a great feature of the AP, but nobody actually needs that unless they are running E85.

So there's my own experience, at the moment I am pretty unhappy with the turbo response my car is giving me so in searching for that gremlin I will probably need to have the car tuned yet again. In that case once I have everything the way I want it, I will most likely be settling back for an ECUTEK tune and just getting rid of the AP. Then life should be simpler, and faster.
    Man that sucks that you had to learn the hard way by spending lots of money, but thanks for sharing so myself and others know. Yeah i read some really good things about Ecutek and because its only a flash tune is why i was considering it.

I did a flash tune on my astra turbo and noticed a nice difference for the price but dont know why with Ecu tek they just cant flash it, they want me to buy the cord and a licence, a bit of a rip off if you ask me.

you could criticize the AP for exactly the same reason. The only reason why Cobb locks it to your car is so they can sell more accessports. Ecutek just charges a license fee rather than selling you a cheap piece of electronics.

11. Default

Im seriously thinking about getting a tune now, for some reason my boost just isnt consistent enough for me with it being stock. I can feel it sometimes, but even though the boost gauge says its full boost, i just cant feel it sometimes. Its like i always have to drive with my foot flat to the floor to really feel it and i dont want to drive like that all the time.

So for those that have an Ecu Tek, does the boost come on stronger with this flash as i like a turbo with an aggressive boost or exaggerated boost where you really feel it.

And where would be the cheapest place to get it done in the Brisbane area and is it possible to get the licence off someone that has already had theirs done, like if they no longer needed theirs and wanted to sell it ?

Unfortunately ecutek is locked to ecu, there's no way to get it from someone else (at least for our cars).

The software used to tune doesn't matter so much as the person doing the tuning. (Unless you're doing lots of circuit racing, then ecutek > AP)

13. Default

i called a few places and one told me the licence costs $900, so if i could copy the tune itself from someone it would still work, because only the licence is locked. i would give someone say $100 for the tune as long as its the real one that ecutek gives people. Thats if it would even copy.

They want to charge $1500, $900 for the licence and $600 to copy a tune over to the ecu.

Nope. The whole point is to have the tune tailored to your car - by finding the safe limits of your exact car is how they make power over Mazda's 'work on every MPS' factory tune - hence 'custom'. If you just use someone else's custom tune to save $500 then good chance you will have mediocre performance and even better chance you will blow your engine.

Prices - cheapest to most expensive

-AP, Versatune or Hypertech with OTS (work with any MPS) or OTS+ (semi-custom) =cheapest $400-900
    -AP or Versatune with custom e-tune = add $250
    -AP or Versatune with custom dyno tune = add $600-1000?
    -ecutek = you know

If you can afford ecutek, great, but if you need to save money, better to pick something cheaper.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

15. Default

Thanks for the replies, I was just looking at Versatune and they use some preset tunes, but not sure if its any good as i checked their site and their forums are dead, seems like not many use them. Cobb, i dont want to have a visual difference, as i want it to be under the radar and not to be able to be tempted to touch anything myself as i would probably blow my engine up haha.

So maybe the safest and best is ECUTEK for me , I guess you get what you pay for and if i really want a decent tune that wont cause any problems then maybe this is my best bet hey ?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMPS View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I was just looking at Versatune and they use some preset tunes, but not sure if its any good as i checked their site and their forums are dead, seems like not many use them. Cobb, i dont want to have a visual difference, as i want it to be under the radar and not to be able to be tempted to touch anything myself as i would probably blow my engine up haha.

So maybe the safest and best is ECUTEK for me , I guess you get what you pay for and if i really want a decent tune that wont cause any problems then maybe this is my best bet hey ?
    The basic tunes aren't really anything great in terms of extracting performance, they'll give you a small bump, but nothing too crazy.

I wouldn't worry about VT causing issues, I've never heard a bad review of them, just most people go straight to custom tune rather than the flash.

As for the AP, the device is a monitoring and flashing device, you can disconnect it when doing neither and no one will ever know it's been tuned.
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

17. Default

Thanks man, im leaning towards the Versatune now and just talking to Steve about it.

18. Default

Nice choice.... I would consider the AP if I were you.

You also get fun stuff like launch control (kind of a gimmick) and flat foot shifting (awesome) with AP or VT. Not sure if ecutek has these or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    You also get fun stuff like launch control (kind of a gimmick) and flat foot shifting (awesome) with AP or VT. Not sure if ecutek has these or not.

Edit: misread! My bad!
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 17-06-2016 at 05:21 PM.
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast