User Tag List

Thread: Occasional hesitation/stutter

1. Default Occasional hesitation/stutter

Hello 'Strayans, from across the ditch in NZ.

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a 2007 MPS3. It's a wonderful, yet terrifying little car. I've done nothing to it so far, its only just rolled over to 58,000km and is completely stock-standard.

Two days ago, when sitting in the driveway waiting for the car to warm up, the engine stuttered, the revs dropped from about 1200 to about 700 and then settled at about 1000. A few seconds later, it happened again but this time much more violently and the engine cut out. I re-started it, and it wouldn't idle at all and cut out again. Restarting again, the engine would over for 5-6 seconds before starting, and after giving it a bootful of throttle, the idle settled down and the car ran as normal.

Coming home from work the same day, I was accelerating on the motorway onramp, WOT in 2nd and 3rd gear (Don't judge. I've never owned a turbocharged car before) and I felt that same stutter. Twice in a row this time, it felt like a mis-fire. A relatively sedate drive down the motorway followed, and when I turned off, the car cut out completely at a set of traffic lights. No issues re-starting and I continued on my way.

I know it's a pretty minor niggle, but I wouldn't expect this kind of thing to happen in such a new car with so few ks.

I'm going to change the spark plugs this weekend and see if that makes any difference. Was hoping someone out there might be able to shed some light on this little niggle.

Plugs could help, or maybe it's a bad batch of fuel.

The warm up issue and WOT issues might not necessarily be related either.

Terrifying is the right word Have you properly checked for vac/boost leaks? A serious post-turbo leak could cause that I suspect - lean at idle and rich on boost. Any cels? Do you have any kind of data reader? Dirty MAF? Anything else odd? Oh, and welcome

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

4. Default

Ready - I do run 98 octane from BP, but I certainly can't discount it as being a bad batch of fuel. I'm hoping that changing the plugs has an impact.

Lachlan - This is easily one of the scariest cars I've ever driven. The way it delivers it's power is absolutely brutal. I love it! I haven't had a look for vacuum or boost leaks. This is a fresh import, only came into the country a month ago so I couldn't expect any vacuum or boost leaks, the thing is barely run in. There's no CEL and I don't have a data reader. Getting one this weekend. Air filter is stock, and has been replaced recently by the looks of it. Not sure if it's a dirty MAF, could be.

There's nothing else odd to report. There does seem to be a bit of a hesitation between gear changes, a little delay between putting your foot down and the power actually coming on. I figured that would just be a foible of the car though.

Thanks for the welcome.

Edit: After a discussion with a friend and fellow MPS owner, he suggested perhaps an igniton coil. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Crashcourse; 12-05-2016 at 04:59 PM.

Is the delay at low rpm (like <2500)? A good tune down the track will help with power delivery.

It's had 58k km to develop a leak so certainly possible. Could be coils- usually them getting wet. Maybe the car was pressure washed before sale? You could pull them and check when you do the plugs. Apparently you can test them with a multimeter too.

You could also check the ground cables. The one at the hpfp is known to kill the engine if it disconnects. It might be loose and sporadically disconnecting.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

6. Default

Fantastic, thanks for the advice. I will give all of those a look this weekend. I'm reasonably handy with the tools, but as I said before, I've never owned a turbocharged car before, so all the extra piping and fiddly bits are a bit frightening. Might bite the bullet and take it to Mazda if it's not an easily apparent diagnosis.

7. Default

I feel like if it was a coil, it would be happening more often and you would probably have codes for a misfire and/or an engine light on