User Tag List

Thread: Tyre rubbing on stock wheels

1. Default Tyre rubbing on stock wheels

Hi All,

Looking for some advice on whether people have had their stock sized wheels rub on the inner wheel arch moulding/lining and what can be done about it.

Went to replace the front brakes and noticed the inside part of wheel really worn down, on both tyres. I'll be needing new tyres.

Im on stock sized Gen 2 wheels (18x7.5 52.5 offset) running 225/40R18.

I was planning on trying 235/40R18 on a 18x8 45 Offset rim but now realise would only make matters worse.

In terms of suspension I have Bilstein B8s and king springs.

On the inner wheel arch theres a flat section near the spring/strut. It seems to be covering a horizontal frame member.

Any guidance much appreciated.

Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3679.JPG 
Views:	170 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	17734Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3671.JPG 
Views:	185 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	17735Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3676.JPG 
Views:	167 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	17736Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3681.JPG 
Views:	182 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	17737

That shouldn't be happening at all, i had the same suspension set up with with stock rims and later 8 inch rims and 235's on it and it never touched the inside on either wheels. Could the camber be way off causing too much of a negative angle?

Are you sure it's rubbing on something? Definitely looks like wrong camber or toe settings. More common on the back though. Did these recently get rotated from the back to the front? I'm running similar suspension with 235/40 yokos (very wide tire) on 8.5" 44 offset wheels and have ample room.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

4. Default

Haven't had a rotation recently, but I'm thinking rubbing as I did see a wear spot on the lining/mounding. I'll check toe/camber settings. Might also compress the suspension to see if it is indeed fouling. If it is fouling it probably occurred at a track day where obviously braking hard and taking corners briskly compresses springs more than usual

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    Are you sure it's rubbing on something? Definitely looks like wrong camber or toe settings. More common on the back though. Did these recently get rotated from the back to the front? I'm running similar suspension with 235/40 yokos (very wide tire) on 8.5" 44 offset wheels and have ample room.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    You were right Lachlan, I got new tyres put on, and had an alignment completed, looks like the front toe was out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alignment a.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	423.2 KB 
ID:	17738