User Tag List

Thread: Stock/Factory Air intake vs Aftermarket Cold air/Ahort Ram

1. Default Stock/Factory Air intake vs Aftermarket Cold air/Ahort Ram

Please in advance, this may ruffle a few feathers and may be a bit of a controversial topic so I apoligise in advance to anyone

I've seen many Youtube video's of the MPS's on dynos with before and after results of a Stock vs Aftermarket intake.
    I'm stumped on how they make so many more KW's with no tunes?
    I would've thought the whole "cold air intake" would be nullified by the heat from the turbo and the attention should really be on improving the inter-cooler?
    Please shed some light on showing how "restrictive" these factory air-boxes are because as far as I can see, they look perfectly fine and free flowing?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160408_194215.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	17726

My 2c
    Stock isn't bad at all and yes, "cold air" intakes are ineffective for that very reason. Aftermarket intakes (especially "short ram") do reduce and smooth the airflow path and increase filter area which helps with flow at high rpm, but you won't see huge gains with a stock MAF diameter intake.

Where you get real gains is moving to a larger diameter MAF housing and TIP which allows significantly more airflow. To make use of the extra flow though, you need to be tuned for much more boost than stock.

So stock vs stock+intake =not much more power; tuned vs tuned+intake =decent power; tuned vs tuned+big intake=even more power.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

3. Default

What Lachlan said...

Intercooler is usually the better mod for turbo intake upgrades. Works with turbo falcons... intercooler upgrades with a tune to utilise it makes much more power.