User Tag List

Thread: Exhaust smoke

1. Default Exhaust smoke

Hey guys just did a dump pipe back exhaust on my 6mps and have noticed its been blowing a bit of smoke only since ive changed it

just wondering if there are any common issues with this or turbo drain/seal issues no loss in power and turbo sounds good smoke is mainly at idle sometimes nothing at all and sometimes it bushfires out the pipes

Any help is apreciated

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Smokey turbo, common problem

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by sephiroth View Post
    Hey guys just did a dump pipe back exhaust on my 6mps and have noticed its been blowing a bit of smoke only since ive changed it

just wondering if there are any common issues with this or turbo drain/seal issues no loss in power and turbo sounds good smoke is mainly at idle sometimes nothing at all and sometimes it bushfires out the pipes

Any help is apreciated

If it bushfires out of the pipe, I would consider replacing it.

4. Default

Thanks guys just thort it was easier to ask the question doing some reading found a few threads with the same issue

Guessing that i have no cats now is why its more noticeable guess ill be ordering a bnr stage 1 now

Thanks guys just thort it was easier to ask the question doing some reading found a few threads with the same issue

Guessing that i have no cats now is why its more noticeable guess ill be ordering a bnr stage 1 now

If you have removed both cats, be careful...

The extra noise can alert cops to heavily modified car, which can cause them to look more seriously at you...

And if you get sniffer tested with 0 cats, you're up for thousands of dollars...

There is almost no performance benefit to running 0 cats compared to 1 high flow cat, (talking 3-4kw before maxing out the fuel system)
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    If you have removed both cats, be careful...

The extra noise can alert cops to heavily modified car, which can cause them to look more seriously at you...

And if you get sniffer tested with 0 cats, you're up for thousands of dollars...

There is almost no performance benefit to running 0 cats compared to 1 high flow cat, (talking 3-4kw before maxing out the fuel system)
    My cat didn't arrive before the weekend so its just temporary and there isnt a cat in the dump because it has a corksport dump i was hopeing to have that and the v bands by this week and dyno this weekend but turbo obviously said no

Using Tapatalk

Very common problem, especially with a free flowing exhaust. New turbo is definitely the proper solution, but if you need a quick fix there are a few options. If you have an AP you can try raising the idle RPM as a temporary fix. There are also restrictor bolts for the oil supply line which apparently help. What oil are you running?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

8. Default

My cat didn't arrive before the weekend so its just temporary and there isnt a cat in the dump because it has a corksport dump i was hopeing to have that and the v bands by this week and dyno this weekend but turbo obviously said no

Since you have the CS down pipe, why not get the CS high flow cat and the new CS turbo. It works well, power is good and easy to install. That is how mine is set up. Cat back is stock though. After doing some research, found the cat backs don't give significant gains. Its good if you want the deep exhaust sound. Its very attractive to boys in blue.

9. Default

Is there any dealers for cs in sydney? And do you have any idea what your cs turbo is equivelant to in garret?

At the moment im dealing with dan from mps garage they built the motor in my mps a few years back just bought my cobb through him last week

Much to my suprise the exhaust i did even at the moment with no cats is very quiet great on cruise isnt loud on wide open throttle never been a fan of loud exhaust wich is what i like about the mps it doesnt draw alot of attention unlike my s15

Using Tapatalk

10. Default

Is there any dealers for cs in sydney? And do you have any idea what your cs turbo is equivelant to in garret?

At the moment im dealing with dan from mps garage they built the motor in my mps a few years back just bought my cobb through him last week

Much to my suprise the exhaust i did even at the moment with no cats is very quiet great on cruise isnt loud on wide open throttle never been a fan of loud exhaust wich is what i like about the mps it doesnt draw alot of attention unlike my s15

It's about a gt28-gt30 sort of size

And if mps garage built your engine, I'm amazed it's still together!

CS also has stated that mps garage is no longer an authorised dealer, and they won't honor any products sold by them
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

12. Default

Should i be worried?

I normally deal with alot of evos gtrs and silvias ive never played with an mps untill i bought this one

Nothing wrong with a built engine MPS.

That company, however, has a terrible reputation here for poor work, even poorer customer service, crappy warranty, and deception. They used to be a member here but are now banned. Do a search on here for them and you will find plenty of info.

14. Default

Nice exhaust...
    Not to sure if there are any CS dealers in Sydney. I personally dealt with CS straight. My contact at CS is Luke. I got all info and advise from Luke from CS and Brian from COBB. So far they were very helpful. All I've sent them are my data logs and Vdyno graphs and they suggest the next step.
    I also got help from DCR. Darrell Cox Racing. He was actually the first to help. My very first mod was the VVT actuator and chain. Apparently this is very important if you want to chase power and torque.

The equivalent of a CS turbo according to some turbo gurus is the BNR S3. A garret turbo is better though expensive. I guess you get what you pay for....
    Last edited by MARKMPS6; 29-03-2016 at 03:36 PM.

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    Nothing wrong with a built engine MPS.

That company, however, has a terrible reputation here for poor work, even poorer customer service, crappy warranty, and deception. They used to be a member here but are now banned. Do a search on here for them and you will find plenty of info.

Thanks for the heads up lachlan so far the only dealings with them is i bought my cobb from there but with the way the aussie dollar has been it worked out better through them than direct and i got it the next day but i will be mindful

Using Tapatalk

16. Default

Well i mite try and get in touch with cs maybe have a chat with them and see if they are looking for a workshop to deal with and maybe help alot of you guys out

My shop is fairly reputable with the evo scene and ive got a few cs bits on my car the dump front mount cooler piping and the cold air that replaces the top mount and it all seems to be fairly good stuff

Ive been tackling the same smoking issue with mixed results with what ive done.
    Im running a turbo back system with a 100 cell hfc. Ive fitted a JBR banjo bolt and ive opened up the baffle vents in the valve cover to decrease the pressure in the motor to help aid a higher flow of the return oil from the turbo. Ive also recently added a Liqui Moly seal rejuvenation additive (takes 600km for full effect)
    Each thing Ive done has helped reduce the amount of smoke and time it takes to happen. If it does start smoking when in heavy traffic or stuck in a drive thru etc i just increase RPM just over 1000 and it disappears...
    I run ECUTEK tune so im yet to find a way to increase RPM while still using ECUTEK...
    Ive owned it my 6 for 8 years and will soon sell for a larger family car so not too keen in replacing the turbo.
    Next oil change I'll be trying 5w40 (currently Liqui Moly 10w40) this has been recommended to increase the oil flow past the turbo at idle... we will see lol

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

The banjo bolt completely fixed my exhaust smoke, had it for over a year now. But I still have a stock exhaust system.

Dam that straight through exhaust looks phat............ and so clean too!