User Tag List

Thread: Hard to disengage/engage gears, RPM/Road speed dependent, Help?

Default Hard to disengage/engage gears, RPM/Road speed dependent, Help?

Hi All,

Once again I come seeking knowledge from the brains trust. My 6 MPS has suddenly become *very* difficult to disengage gears. Anything above 2500rpm and its like pulling excalibur from the stone. Engaging gears requires RPM matching, or you get the lovely grinding noise. this is all RPM/road speed dependent, when at low speed or sitting stationary, everything works fine. Clutch pedal does feel somewhat softer than usual, and I can't feel the 'balance point'.

Have already had master and slave cylinder replaced, as well as all hoses, system bleed and fluid replaced, clutch pedal feels a tiny bit better, but problem persists. any ideas? throw-out bearing? pressure plate? return spring? other? The clutch surface itself must be fine, because once in gear, you can give it some gas and there is zero slipping. You just can't get it out of gear at 5500rpm, pressing the clutch pedal does nothing. sounds like you've just stepped off the gas and are letting it roll.

any ideas lads?
    2XS 3" intake | 3 Bar MAP Sensor | GTX2867r | 2XS 3" twin dump pipe | 3 port Grimmspeed EBCS | Cobb AP V2 | Purple Drank Tuned

I've got a horrible feeling there's something wrong in the actual box itself...

Honestly, don't know enough gearboxes to give a proper answer

Unlikely to be the issue, but have you checked the simple stuff like engine mounts and the shifter cables?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Clutch drag? Great read this one.

Good luck.

Clutch Drag Kills Synchros! – Jacks Transmissions

Can’t shift at high RPM.
    Most clutches will drag at high RPM if there is a problem. If you miss a shift or have a hard time going into gear at high RPM, the clutch is dragging and needs to be fixed.
    Last edited by Geo; 17-03-2016 at 12:13 PM.

in case anyone comes here searching for answers, this ended up being the clutch plate itself. cracked in two places. Obviously the cracked clutch was wedged against the flywheel allowing it to still grip, but not able to release off the flywheel as the width had basically doubled or more. Nothing else broken, however the flywheel and Throw out bearing were replaced anyway.