User Tag List

Thread: Mps 3 bl1 auto transmission conversion

1. Default Mps 3 bl1 auto transmission conversion

Hello Everyone

I have just completed a manual to auto conversion on my BL series 1 MPS 3. I was wondering if anyone has the keyless entry with push button start wiring diagram for the vehicle listed above. Having some problems resolving the clutch pedal required to start as well as the interlock switch and manual switch. All of these switches go back to the keyless module.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

For the record, the car drives absolutely fantastic with the auto. In my opinion it just completes the car. I you think the cars are fast with the manual, the auto is actually quicker. A very worthwhile conversion once I get these minor problems sorted with the keyless entry module etc.

Cheers

Darren

There are shop manuals in the VIP section which might have wiring diagrams. What gearbox did you use and...um...why?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

3. Default

I used the Mazda FS 5A - EL from a 2010 SP25. I have always been one to drive an auto. I was disappointed when I was looking for an MPS that they were only produced in manual. Even worse that they were a six speed. I put up with the gear change for 12 months. I found a wreck in Melbourne that was purchased for just the air bags. The guy sold me everything I needed for $660. He even removed the whole lot from the car for me except the wiring harnesses. The biggest problem I have had is the inside harness as ALL series one BL cars came with key start except for the MPS. I need to change the Keyless Control Module to be one from a BL series 2 SP25 as they came with push button start.

Apart from that the car is an absolute pleasure to drive and is quicker. The turbo does not get a chance to stop spooling between gearchanges. Tomorrow I am going to my local Mazda dealership to see if there is a way of reprogramming the keyless module so that it knows the car is now auto. I need to get the manual switch wiring, clutch switch wring and interlock switch wiring disabled and the brake light switch to be the switch that needs to be activated to start rather than the clutch pedal. After this is done it should be sweet. I love the steering wheel paddles for changing up and down. Its just a different car altogether now. And such a neat conversion under bonnet too.

One thing I am please about is the CAN system all communicates

Cheers

Darren
    Last edited by MinorMagic; 21-02-2016 at 08:35 PM.

I'd like to know how much experience you have driving manual gearboxes considering you openly admit you're an auto guy and how you're making your measurements regarding how quick the car is.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for development but it has to be measurable and provable before I'd make claims like you've made before publishing.

This is the second one of these I've seen, white gen 2 in Sydney was the first, not sure what auto box he used though...

Curious how the box handles all the extra torque though, know I certainly wouldn't be putting much more power through it...

Also, based on your post in the other thread, the car has lost it's LSD, it'll make it significantly worse in putting down it's power (which I guess is solved by putting an auto on to remove power...)
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 22-02-2016 at 06:41 AM.

Dunno how the torque convertor is gonna like that?

7. Default

Hello everyone
    Well I haven't been on here much since I did the original posts but it seems we have a few doubters on here.

The car has travelled roughly 5500klms since the conversion was done. Problem free.

The claims I made in my first post were purely my own thoughts which is why I "published'' them. There was no cobb access port used to gauge the speed although the other white one in Sydney did use an access port and for him it was definitely quicker. Unfortunately that car is now written off

The LSD and the beafy driveshafts were fitted by Mazda to the MPS to try and curb the torque steer which it did a terrible job of. Not everyone drives their MPS to its limits of the mark so fortunately for me torque steer is not a problem and never was. The power delivery now is so much smoother through all the gears as it seamlessly moves through second , third fourth and fifth. The steering wheel paddles work a treat too.

I guess if all you all have done is drive a manual, you have nothing to compare it too.

BTW I have spoken to numerous Mazda dealers and they have never seen a 5 speed auto fail. Of course they would all be behind a 125 kw L5 engine so not a true gauge of reliability. The oil in the transmission is still as red as the day I fitted the transmission so obviously not much slippage happening.

As for measureable differences, who cares. As long as I'm happy with it and it does what I want it to that is all that matters. I posted up originally about the conversion for the general information of the forum. I did not seek your approval

If the moderators feel that the information I have posted is false or misleading I would ask that this thread be removed.

Kindest Regards

Darren

Oh, I don't doubt it's possible... Anything is possible
    It's just curious as to why, and how long it'll hold up...

It's obvious from your post that you don't drive the car hard (and it's likely the engine & tune are stock), which means the transmission is likely to hold up better than a car with power mods...

But even stock, you're pushing twice the torque through that transmission, am genuinely curious as to how well it holds up...

Also, unless it's a troll post or offensive, our moderation policy is pretty relaxed
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

You say you were disappointed to see the MPS only came in manual but Mazda have done this for a reason.

Why go to all that trouble converting it to an automatic.

The MPS is a nice car to drive but there are plenty of nice cars on the road. S3 or Golf's are just as fun and would have a much better transmission system than what youve just done without the added potential for catastrophic failure like an auto conversion may incur.

To each their own I guess.

10. Default

Yes I see your point. I guess if I wanted a race car I wouldn't have bought an MPS. To me its a car that is a good size, reliable and something that you can have a bit of fun with. For me I'm really happy with it

I'm thinking the modification I have done is a little too radical for you guys. It seems from me looking on here a tune, an exhaust or CAI is about the extent of the mods.

Changing the car completely like I have done I agree is a major change and one I can see has'nt scored well on OZMPS but hey if we were all the same, life would be boring

As to the longevity, I guess time will tell and I don't mind being the guinea pig. I will keep you in the loop if I have any problems down the track

Cheers

MM

Lol @ too radical. There are people on here with built engines, big power, big turbos, meth, E85 tunes, aux fuel, custom brakes and suspension, full on race cars etc etc.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

It's not "too radical" it's just a different path that not many are usually interested in taking...

Most people buy this car because it is manual, not so they can swap transmissions...

I was one of the first people to get e-tuned in Australia (literally started 3 days after ATR released), and relatively certain I'm one of the first to go e85 mix (at least in aus)

13. Default

I wonder if it would've been easier to fit a turbo to a SP23/25 and see the power difference there?

FMIC kit should fit, mod suspension and brakes, could be an awesome machine if done well.

It'll be great to see the longevity of an auto on a MPS. Without any long-term results it's all mystery. It's always great to see pioneering done on cars, since it takes one or two good mods to suddenly make it all work out.

Best of luck with the future driving!

Good to see it up and running though.

Auto box = too radical. haha
    Last edited by projectrracing; 20-03-2016 at 05:49 PM.