User Tag List

Thread: Creaking noise when turning steering wheel

Default Creaking noise when turning steering wheel

Hey guys.

Long story short. Do not get Fulcrum Stafford QLD to do anything on your car.

So I needed a new front right inner control arm bush and decided to get the front shocks replaced with Bilstein B6's at the same time as it would save on labour.

Anyway not to get into the nitty gritty of the problems I've had with Fulcrum but basically its been there three times now. I've cut it down to not bad mouth them too much just I wouldn't recommend them based on my experience.

First time they lost my quote and only installed the new shocks. Got the car home to find out that's all they done. Now the car drove fine there was no creaking or noise but the Bush was cracked. I knew it was and I was done out of money.

So I sent it back and they put the new bush in. My friend drove it home and at low speed or parked turning the steering right hard or left hard would result in an almighty creak. I dont have the car long but it never done it before. Even after the shocks were replaced.

So initially I assumed it was the bush not greased properly. However my mechanic friend held his hand on the coilovers while I turned the steering wheel with the car jacked up. The coilovers vibrated from the top.

So I brought it back to Fulcrum today and they claimed to not hear anything at all and everything was normal. They tightened up everything and it seemed fine according to them.

Got back, hopped in and it was there. Clear as day. So I went back inside and they said that they couldn't hear anything. Got one of their mechanics to drive it and they finally admitted to there being a creak and an awfully loud one at that. Took it back into the shop and on the hoist. Couldn't find anything to be a problem, so put silicon spray on it and said to see how it goes over the next day.

Drove it home and took it for a drive just now. The creak is now worse than it has been before. Its horrendous.

Fulcrum seem completely uninterested in finding where the creak is so before I force their hand on this I'd like to know if anyone has an idea what it could be?

I'm inclined to rule out the bush however it didn't make the creak before I got the bush replaced.

Could it be the coilover not installed properly if they've taken it out a second time? Strut mount or strut bearing? But wouldn't this have made the sound before?

I'm inclined to cut my losses with those guys. Make a complaint to head office but have my mechanic friend deal with it at his shop but I'd like any feedback on if anyone else has had a similar problem.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Geo; 19-02-2016 at 09:08 PM.

I have the same thing i think its normal in our cars and just have to deal with it lol, i put up a post about the same thing earlier

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 09mps01 View Post
    I have the same thing i think its normal in our cars and just have to deal with it lol, i put up a post about the same thing earlier

Hey mate I figured it out. It was the Bump stops after the Bilstein B6's were installed. The Bilsteins are considerably fatter than stock shocks so Fulcrum had to cut into it in order for the shock to fit (but they never told me that). They just didn't cut in far enough. So i pulled the shock out last Sunday and cut away with a scalpel. Almost all the creaking is gone, just at one point it creaks, I couldn't figure out where that was so I've left it. it's about 10% of the creaking it was beforehand.

Might be worth checking that out yourself.

Cheers mate ill look into it