User Tag List

Thread: Increasing RPM

Default Increasing RPM

Hi guys, long time member but havent popped my head in for years... anyway ive been chasing my tail a bit trying to stop/reduce the dreaded idle smoking. Ive got a CPE intake, DP/TBE with race cat on the stock K04 so its no suprise... ive owned my 6 for over 7 years so im probably not far off changing it over to a family 4wd soon so dont want to invest anymore coin in to it if I dont need too. Ive installdd a JB banjo bolt and modified the rocker cover to help with the flow of the gravity flow of oil back off the turbo but although at times it feels like its fixed its only a matter of a few more minutes and its back smoking. Holding the idle slightly higher in heavy traffic definitely works so im trying to work out whats the best cost affective way to increase idle rpm. I know the Hypertech will allow it to be adjusted but dont know how that will work or like running with the ECUTEK. I did contact ECUTEK to see if my tuner could use ECUTEK to tune the idle increase but they wouldn't say if it could or not but just say increasing the idle wont help... Any help would be great, thanks 😃

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

From my understanding, seeing as you have an ecutek tune and would want to keep that tune, the idle would have to be increased using their tuning software. Regardless of what the ecutek tuners say about it fixing the smoking, if it's possible for them to raise the idle to 1000rpm without charging you an arm and a leg, I'd give it a go.

Don't see why they couldn't... It's 2 (3?) tables, really doesn't take much...

Just depends if ecutek has that table exposed

This sums at where im at with ECUTEK... ☺...?

Im going to try a 5W30 oil as ive heard some people have had success with that.

I did open up the vents in the valve cover, its helped but still smokes sometimes within a few minutes other times takes 5-8 minutes...

Mazda USA's temporary fix for the smoking turbo until they came up with the 'ventilation kit' was to use a 5w40 oil.

Well ive modified the valve cover to replicate the higher flow, it has helped for sure but I would like it to permanently stop... I'll try 5W40 from the 10W40 im currently using.

Unfortunately if you're already running a 10w40 the result will probably be the same as the smoking occurs with the oil at normal operating temp. Having said that though, if it's been a while since an oil change, your oil may have sheared and also become diluted with fuel effectively making it thinner, so an oil change might still help. An oil that comes to mind to try is Penrite's racing 10w40 shear free oil.

Default Increasing RPM

Hey @MZSPD6 welcome back to the forum lol, what autobarn are you at now? Might have to come order some rotors through you!

Have you tried emailing mrt? I know they are interstate, but they may have tuned more mps's than s&j, especially in regard to rpm increase. They might know whether ecutek allows it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Fully6mps View Post
    Hey @MZSPD6 welcome back to the forum lol, what autobarn are you at now? Might have to come order some rotors through you!

Have you tried emailing mrt? I know they are interstate, but they may have tuned more mps's than s&j, especially in regard to rpm increase. They might know whether ecutek allows it or not.
    Im running the Gilles Plains store now as I live at Findon since having our daughter 2 years ago (another on the way too!) I was wondering if you still had your 6 ☺

Quote Originally Posted by DD3 View Post
    Unfortunately if you're already running a 10w40 the result will probably be the same as the smoking occurs with the oil at normal operating temp. Having said that though, if it's been a while since an oil change, your oil may have sheared and also become diluted with fuel effectively making it thinner, so an oil change might still help. An oil that comes to mind to try is Penrite's racing 10w40 shear free oil.
    Yeah ive just recently (few months ago) put in 10w40 Liqui Moly its a great oil but will soon change to Penrite 10 tenths to see how that goes, maybe 5W30 is worth a go as the running Winter is 30.... supposedly it will flow faster and not build up as fast. You would think thinner might mean it escapes past the seal faster...
    I must say the smoking issue is being less of an issue, only after heavy standstill traffic am I getting smoking.