User Tag List

Thread: VVT , Timing Chain Noise questions

Default VVT , Timing Chain Noise questions

MPS 3 2007 210,000ks , sadly have a bad clicking sound will post a Video tomorrow . What will happen if just keep driving as is ? Need some well priced options . Brsbane thanks in advance !

Hi MPS000,

It's always sad to hear, my Gen 1 MPS just had the VVT replaced, when purchased @ 140K it had some chain noise at idle and I wasn't too worried about it. I drove the car without issue (for a couple of years) when @ 165K the idle "tractor" noise couldn't be ignored any more. Went to a Mazda dealer, who did the requisite tests of checking chain slack while the engine was warmed up (see guides on Youtube for this). Ended up paying just under $1500 for the complete VVT overhaul, the side engine mount was also replaced at additional cost. Definately made a difference in drivability and refinement.

IIRC you can purchase a VVT kit for $500 - 700 but factor in labour which takes about one day. I wasn't convinced taking my car to a non-Mazda dealer to save on costs was a good move as it's a fairly difficult job. If you do go to a stealership sound out if they do the VVT replacement often - the first I visited said they had only done it on a couple of CX7s, the next dealer was much more comfortable doing the job.

JB

Havent had any luck with this and looks like the VVT needs to be fixed .... Any recommendations in the Brisbane area ? . Thanks in advance

Your best bet is to contact Mazda ask them if they've done it before on an MPS before sending it in.

All fixed . Thanks for the advice