User Tag List

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New TMIC option and SRI

yep I'd be keen on the tmic and sri !!

definately interested in TMIC if the price ends up around the magical $1000 mark.. anything more i'd have to question it..

TMIC is a definite upgrade for me in a distant future, so... Count me in!!
    Nothin' better than supporting local products!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    O/T but another member on here has done the same to me before.

Good work KMH, will be watching this topic with interest.
    How is that arm of yours now Jmac.

If you would like a loan of a stock top mount for the project I can lend you mine, as it only lives in the garage these days.

Sore

X2^^

Ok here are the results of today's R&D.

The SRI design is complete. It sounds good (the way an MPS should sound) and the car feels better than it did with my old SRI (probably because the ID is now correct and possibly also because the foam filter flows better). The are no CEL's and I don't expect any. I'll be doing some more testing miles tonight, if only because the car feels great and wants to be driven.

I don't have a price for the SRI yet but I expect it will be in the same ball park as their Subaru SRI.

My car is going back on Thursday for more detailed work on the intercooler. This should be closely followed by manufacture of a batch of cores then fabrication of the end tanks and testing of the first prototype.

Gone to Volvo

I'm not sure of the benefit of another MAF housing and filter kit for our market. Why not build the full system like the Corksport as that's only $100 more but it's a full intake which gets ride of the accordian pipe and stupidly shaped turbo inlet pipe.

There are a couple of reasons. First, when BB and I wanted to go and buy a basic SRI kit that had specific MPS fitment, there weren't any that appeared to be readily available. There are companies who make them, but the likelihood of going to a website or making a phone call and buying one today just seemed to be too unlikely.

Second, not everyone wants the hassle involved in fitting a full intake. The basic SRI kit has to be one of the easiest and quickest mods around. If you know what you're doing it's a 5 minute job.

And probably thirdly, while I agree that the stock intake doesn't look very flow friendly, I've not seen any flow bench evidence that proves it inhibits flow. Also, some of the reports Ive read suggest there may be no power gains with the full intakes with TIP's.

So I'm happy to stick with my factory TIP, it's solid and reliable, it fits well in a confined space and doesn't make any freaky noises.

I certainly needed one, and maybe a few others do also.

Gone to Volvo

Looks good Mal now bring on the TMIC

COBB Tuning SF Intake for Mazdaspeed 6 - Revolution Performance Motorsports!

$250 - including shipping, delivered to your door in 5 business days. This includes specific brackets for the 6 or 3.

Fair enough. Not made in Austraya though.....

True enough, though I'm not sure that's an issue for most people though. I'd hazard to say the three most important factors for most buyers are cost, quality and time (in this case waiting time) and only if all three factors are the same will being made in Australia even be an issue. But all that aside, I think it's a great idea to get someone to start developing the stuff. The more choices the better.

While Im not sold on the TIP making any more horsepower than stock, I have noticed since fitting it that I hold boost longer through the rev range, so it may not give a higher peak number than the stock item, but puts a bit more meat under the curve.
    Of course I have no real world evidence to back up my claims.

Cept wheelspin

15. Default

I trust Mals opinion and I know If I put anything in my car that is good enough for his car he is going to have researched it throroughly and its only going to benefit the car not cause any problems or not be suitable.

what brand is that foam filter.... previous tests on the foam ones have not yielded very good filtration rates ????? high flow... but a lot of crap getting past them... such as the HKS !! which i do not use now !!

+ 1 BB..... He knows alot more than me so i follow his lead

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    what brand is that foam filter.... previous tests on the foam ones have not yielded very good filtration rates ????? high flow... but a lot of crap getting past them... such as the HKS !! which i do not use now !!
    I haven't asked who makes their foam filters. I had similar concerns, although I've used foam on various cars and bikes for over 30 years and never had a problem so I'm not overly bothered by it.

There's a lot more to it than simply saying that one medium filters better than another. Element thickness, pore size, oil concentration, existing contamination all have an effect on filter efficiency.

I did discuss a few aspects of these filters with the guys at Hyperflow. Their response was that they chose these filters because they found them to flow better and the filtering capability is demonstrated by the inside of the filter remaining clean even when the outside is dirty.

I was also a little concerned about oily residue from the filter getting on the MAF sensor and their response was that later model cars like the MPS have a heated MAF sensor element that is unaffected by residue. Regardless, I give my MAF sensor a spray of cleaner about once a month so it's unlikely to be a problem.

My view is that I'll reserve my judgment on the foam element and if I find I don't like it I can just drop a $25 cotton filter on it.

I don't get too hung up on filtration. As long as everything from the size of a grain of sand upward is being blocked at the inlet, there'll be no excessive erosion on the leading edges of the compressor blades and certainly no damage will occur to anything further down stream.

Gone to Volvo

fair call i guess... i always thought the same about my HKS.. outside used to get very dirty but the inside remained clean 9 times out of 10.. my MAF did get alot more dirty with the Foam HKS one though as apposed to my K&N...

Am very interested to see what they come up with for the TMIC.. and then if that leads to maybe a FMIC ?

Mal - this is great work. On a side note, my car should be fixed this week and I'll get it into Fulcrum for the front end bushings.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast