User Tag List

Thread: New 10 MPS owner (need help)

1. Default New 10 MPS owner (need help)

Hey guys, I've recently bought a 2010 Mazda 3 MPS and am really enjoying it so far. I ordered a corksport intake as well as a turbosmart dual port BOV. I've installed both and noticed that when the BOV is in recirculation at low boost levels I get a turbo flutter sound but that isn't present at higher boost. I also don't hear it while in ventilation. Some help would be great thanks as I feel like I'm damaging my turbo.

Also, from here on what should I purchase next for my MPS? I'm thinking an Accessport or possibly a down pipe.

Thanks

Probably start by checking the vacuum tube coming from your intake manifold to the BPV itself and make sure the spring clamp is secure. It's worth noting that an aftermarket BPV doesn't really offer any performance benefit until your pushing past 20 pound, which you wont be going past very far with the stock turbo.

I'd be buying HPFP internals before that downpipe, otherwise you might have a bad time.

Probably installed too stiff a spring... Swap it for a weaker spring...

4. Default

Alright ill give them a check.

I know it doesn't add any power but the main reason was for the sound of the ventilation which i soon got sick of, therefore switching to recirculation and coming across this flutter sound.

Is it fluttering just on lift from part throttle? If so, it's fairly normal and harmless with the low pressure at part throttle. Probably more due to your metal intake than the BOV anyway. That BOV should be adjustable though (doesn't require new springs) by turning the top. Tighter = more preloaded on the spring which means later venting at higher pressure and a faster close. You want it about as tight as it will go without fluttering on WOT shifts (when it actually matters).
    And Hpfp + rem + accessport +racepipe (90% of gains from downpipe, <5% of install difficulty) has my vote.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

6. Default

[QUOTE=Lachlan;303952]Is it fluttering just on lift from part throttle? If so, it's fairly normal and harmless with the low pressure at part throttle. Probably more due to your metal intake than the BOV anyway. That BOV should be adjustable though (doesn't require new springs) by turning the top. Tighter = more preloaded on the spring which means later venting at higher pressure and a faster close. You want it about as tight as it will go without fluttering on WOT shifts (when it actually matters).
    And Hpfp + rem + accessport +racepipe (90% of gains from downpipe, <5% of install difficulty) has my vote.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

when you say on lift from part throttle do you mean when taking my foot off the throttle but only during low throttle pressure? It's more to do with home much boost im using. Anything under half full boost it will flutter. part from that it would make a regular noise.

Yes my BOV is adjustable, I loosened it until the spring eventually popped out accidentally because I had no idea it would get to that point but then tightened it back to where it was just shy of coming out again however it kept making the sound so still not sure about that.

And in regards to hpfp would I be able to recognise an hpfp just by looking at it? After buying the car I realised it already head a corksport inlet hose and corksport TMIC so I'd be worried I'd be buying something I already had again.

Thanks

You can pull the pump apart and see if it has upgraded internals, yes. There are guides on here and you just need a few hours and a few tools. The internals should have markings on them if they are after market (look for something like "autotech").

Sounds like you have it at maximum softness which will flutter with very little pressure. Try tightening it up. That should prevent it fluttering unnecessarily.

My process is: tighten it half way, go WOT to full boost and listen when it vents. Should be nice and clean with no flutter. Then tighten another twist and repeat test. Keep doing that until you get flutter, flutter-dump or anything other than a clean vent at WOT, then back it off to the last good setting. That should be the best setting with minimal part-throttle flutter but still ideal WOT performance.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    You can pull the pump apart and see if it has upgraded internals, yes. There are guides on here and you just need a few hours and a few tools. The internals should have markings on them if they are after market (look for something like "autotech").

Sounds like you have it at maximum softness which will flutter with very little pressure. Try tightening it up. That should prevent it fluttering unnecessarily.

My process is: tighten it half way, go WOT to full boost and listen when it vents. Should be nice and clean with no flutter. Then tighten another twist and repeat test. Keep doing that until you get flutter, flutter-dump or anything other than a clean vent at WOT, then back it off to the last good setting. That should be the best setting with minimal part-throttle flutter but still ideal WOT performance.

Alright I'll give it a shot cheers.

and I'll also have a look at the hpfp, try save a few hundred bucks.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post

I tried tightening it all the way and I still get flutter. Any idea?

I'm not sure about the particular bpv you've got but as sarcastic one mentioned earlier, you've probably got a spring too heavy for your setup. I'm guessing you've got a spring with a 17+lb rating so tightening it down won't help. You'll have to check the spring to see what it is before anyone can really further assess what's going on. If it's what I'm thinking, you'll need to source a lower rated spring (I think 14lb is pretty standard) to suit your setup.

Just saw this. The dual port should have only one spring, the tension of which is adjusted by turning the cap. Unless some numpty changed it before you bought it, it should be adjustable to the right pressure for the mps. Have you tried cleaning and oiling it to make sure it isn't sticking? Are you only getting flutter on part throttle, not at WOT? Maybe take a video of the sound to compare, as a bit of part throttle flutter is fine, but is not ok on WOT lifts.