User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from Sydney

Default Hi from Sydney

Hi All,

Been looking for a bit of punch for a while now and it has come down to Veloster, Evo8 MR and a Mazda 3 MPS gen2 for the last 3 months of researching and dreaming.
    Budget is not quite there yet (around 20k) however joined the Forum to get a better insight of the MPS and personal experiences (So far so good)
    MPS is number 1 of the 3 so far. Perhaps in the next 3 months I could be driving one.

Happy that I can research more In this forum.

Currently own a 2001 Mazda 323 Hatch and a 2014 LTZ Colorado. Time to get upgrade the Mazda. (Mazda was for the Mrs, and Holden for myself however over it so handing it over to her)

Previously owned a Toyota Glanza V and a version 6 Sti when living in NZ. Been in Aus for 3 years now and god I miss the good ol Turbo.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Cheers.
    Last edited by alvstar2001; 29-12-2015 at 02:26 PM.

Welcome aboard. There's some good value Gen 2s around. Best of luck with the car hunting

3. Default

i picked up a gen 1 07 model the other day for 11500. 140k kms and in pretty good condition apart from a couple of marks and stone chips

Great car

Hi all.

So its around that time I'm serious about getting the MPS. now I'm going to view a MPS for about 18k. 2009 MPS BL @ about 120k on the clock (Dealer). the rego number is GRYMPS. Just wondering if anyone here knows the previous owner, if he was a member just in case its something I should stay away from. for about 4-5k more I'm looking at a 2012 MPS with about 60k on the clock.
    Anything I should look out for?

Thanks

Alvin

Hi all, update. Just purchased an 3 MPS I test drove In weekend. was a little sceptic buying it as already had COBB access port (where I don't know much about) but just fell in love with the car after opening it up in the open roads.

Pick it up tomorrow so will get let all know how it goes.

Thanks

Alvin

sceptic about mods??? U sure a performance is right for u?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Welcome. The AP is the best mod you could have for reliability, plus lots of fun

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

8. Default

Hello, I'm new too....
    I agree with Lachlan. AP is a lot of fun and reliable. There are software's out there that you could down load for free which can be linked with your AP and you can use it with your new toy. Let me know if you need more info. I got mine from Corksport 2 years ago and got the best customer support ever. Not trying to sell Corksport here just stating a fact.

Lachlan, if its okay with you, how much power are you getting out of your MPS with your mods?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by MARKMPS6 View Post
    Hello, I'm new too....
    I agree with Lachlan. AP is a lot of fun and reliable. There are software's out there that you could down load for free which can be linked with your AP and you can use it with your new toy. Let me know if you need more info. I got mine from Corksport 2 years ago and got the best customer support ever. Not trying to sell Corksport here just stating a fact.

Lachlan, if its okay with you, how much power are you getting out of your MPS with your mods?

Cheers
    I got 215-220kw from a htp 3", DP, hpfp and e85...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    I got 215-220kw from a htp 3", DP, hpfp and e85...
    That is a lot of power from a four banger.
    What mods is needed to ran E85 and what are the benefits. I'm just use premium..

That is a lot of power from a four banger.
    What mods is needed to ran E85 and what are the benefits. I'm just use premium..
    Well. E85 mix, so only 25% e85...

Just need a tune & hpfp for low mixes...

Short version of benefits, keeps cylinder temps down, less knock prone, and more power...

Down sides, worse fuel economy, e85 can be a pain to find
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Think I'm around 200kw (vdyno) on a 98 tune with 3" intake and racepipe. E85 will hopefully get me to around where sarcasticone is this year. Ultimate (and probably never realised) goal is 250-260kw with a little big turbo, downpipe, E20-25 and some meth cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    Think I'm around 200kw (vdyno) on a 98 tune with 3" intake and racepipe. E85 will hopefully get me to around where sarcasticone is this year. Ultimate (and probably never realised) goal is 250-260kw with a little big turbo, downpipe, E20-25 and some meth cooling.

Word of warning, looks like caltex has stopped selling e-flex in Canberra, only place is united in Fyshwick... So, because I'm lazy and don't want to drive 20-30 minutes each way, I'm back being slow (~190-195kw) really notice the lack of continued shove above 4k, and car feels less "peppy" on part throttle

14. Default

200 RWKW is very respectable.
    My experience was the most gain I got is from my down pipe and high flow cat.
    my Car is probably one of the first to get fitted with the new CS turbo with 9 blades (exhuast) and it's not to bad. Little lag.
    by the way my down pipe is one of those with twin pipes from CS
    Cat back and intake is stock to keep the blues away.

Word of warning, looks like caltex has stopped selling e-flex in Canberra, only place is united in Fyshwick... So, because I'm lazy and don't want to drive 20-30 minutes each way, I'm back being slow (~190-195kw) really notice the lack of continued shove above 4k, and car feels less "peppy" on part throttle
    Damn. I hadn't noticed that. My chemist mate with access to pure laboratory-grade ethanol went overseas too Maybe in-tank meth as an alternative?

Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

Damn. I hadn't noticed that. My chemist mate with access to pure laboratory-grade ethanol went overseas too Maybe in-tank meth as an alternative?

Noticed it this week when I went to fill up, was very sad

Although, apparently they stopped late January (I haven't driven much recently...)

17. Default

Did a Vdyno ran on V power 98 then when fuel tank was on half (according to the gauge), filled it with E85 (30.6 lts.). Did another Vdyno ran and you can see and feel the difference. Of course the 50/50 combo is the red line.

You can smell the difference too..... and no noise (knock retard). Fuel usage is up there though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E85 vs 98.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	17725  

I think I averaged ~11L/100km on e20, and about 10L on 98...

And reason you went 50/50? It does cut into your fueling headroom a bit...

Also, who's tuning you? No wonder you can see a big difference, that 98 tune is so much laggier, couldn't they get it spooling earlier?

19. Default

I think I averaged ~11L/100km on e20, and about 10L on 98...

And reason you went 50/50? It does cut into your fueling headroom a bit...

Also, who's tuning you? No wonder you can see a big difference, that 98 tune is so much laggier, couldn't they get it spooling earlier?
    Searched for a gas station that has E85 and found one. Its a united petrol sta. I decided to start of 50/50 since my tank is half full.
    I turned on my AP and noticed that Knock retard is reading zero at all rev range. Decided to move the ing timing 2 deg advance, that probably explains the early spool.
    I think there is more potential left but it means I have to maybe replace my cat back and intake. (still stock). I'm a little worried I may blow my engine.
    I might try 100% E85 soon.

Searched for a gas station that has E85 and found one. Its a united petrol sta. I decided to start of 50/50 since my tank is half full.
    I turned on my AP and noticed that Knock retard is reading zero at all rev range. Decided to move the ing timing 2 deg advance, that probably explains the early spool.
    I think there is more potential left but it means I have to maybe replace my cat back and intake. (still stock). I'm a little worried I may blow my engine.
    I might try 100% E85 soon.
    You using VVT at all?

Also, spool is helped by reducing timing... And 100% e85 requires changes to oil and certain additives in hpfp else it'll gunk up your fuel system, but you'll run out of fuel ~240-250wkw, so running a mix (50/50 at most) is generally considered better

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast