User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a Mazda 3 MPS 2006 with 150,000km.

1. Default Buying a Mazda 3 MPS 2006 with 150,000km.

Hey OzMPS Club,

I've just lost my P plates, living in QLD I was sadly unable to drive the BK MPS that I've always wanted. In the process of selling my 08 Mazda and with some savings looking to buy a 2006 MPS Sport from a lady in my area. I haven't inspected the car yet although she claims it has full service history. Also has no modifications done to it and visually looks great (from photos that is). The car has 144,000km's on the clock.

This car will be my daily driver and on average I clock about 10,000km a year. The lady is selling her Blue Mps for $13,000 although she says it is an urgent sale due to her moving overseas. I've just got a few questions.

1. I know this question is like asking how long is a piece of string but, how reliable, generally speaking, are BK MPS's with 150k + on the clock?

2. I'm wanting to negotiate the price down to maybe $11,500, would this be possible or is the car well priced?

3. Not really a question but I will be taking the car for a full RACQ check, I think it is around $290. Do these usually weed out any unidentified issues?

Many thanks MPS community, I look forward to having an MPS of my own soon.

If it's really in good condition, then I'd say there should be no issues with it...

There's plenty of cars in the states that sort of mileage on them, and know a fair few cars here that have done 200k+ km..

With the RACQ check, does it include an engine compression check? That's the easiest way to check engine health...

3. Default

I was planning on getting the 'Master Check' RACQ - RACQ Vehicle Inspection - Book Online

If the car is well maintained and cared for - go for it - I purchased a BK MPS with 146K three years ago and found it to be fantastic, with the lowest maintenance costs of any car I've owned previously. The RACQ test would be a good idea and well worth it - in Victoria I know the RACV do charge more for turbo cars, just check on this.

Have a good look through the service history and see if the engine mounts and VVT were ever touched - chances are these are the main things that might be needing replacement sometime soon. Check Youtube videos for the VVT "sound", especially after driving it for ~ 30 mins and let it idle to see if the rattling/tractor sound eventuates. This isn't a deal breaker though, some VVTs seem to stand up OK while others fail - it's replacement will be $1500 by a stealership.

5. Default

I'm encroaching on my 140k service (within the next month) and the car, although getting a little long in the tooth, still holds itself together nicely.

I've never had to replace mounts or chains, but the biggest issue I've found is ?tie rod ends getting loose. Stupid design, but start to clunk going over bumps over time. Basically an annoyance rather than a drive issue. I've only lowered the car on new springs/struts, nothing extreme. The car makes typical noises for a 10 year old (nearly) 4Cyl. I drive as a daily so have no boost issues or turbo seal issues...
    3 MPS - Rolling on Pirelli PZero Neros, sitting on Bilstein B12's, stock internals... still makes me smile with the Zoom Zoom.

6. Default

I just picked up a BK 07 MPS in cosmic blue with 140k kms for 11500. the guy was asking 12000, but as he was in griffith nsw, and i had to fly there, i talked him down to 11500 on the phone. Great condition apart from stone chips (quite a few being a highway car) and a couple of scratches. Motor pulls strong, no smoke, doesn't burn oil. great condition inside and out.

Already spent another 1000 on it including wheel alignment and balance, brake disk machining, and a stereo install for bluetooth and android auto.

IMO, 140k kms is not much for a 7-8 year old car. Its average. Check service history and if possible, see if it was serviced by the same mechanic all the time or the majority of the time. This will show more of a determination to have it serviced on time and properly as per the book.

The inspection would not hurt, make sure to get a revs check for any finance or written off records. And just enjoy it.

Hi OP,

I'm actually going to look at this exact car tonight. Any particular reason why you didn't buy it?

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    Hi OP,

I'm actually going to look at this exact car tonight. Any particular reason why you didn't buy it?

Cheers.
    Never mind. Found out for myself. Needs about a minimum $1000 worth of fixes. Engine and Turbo seem solid but needs alot of cosmetic fixes. New rotors and brake pads. Rear shocks are totally screwed. Front headlight washer is completely broke, right rear door handle is dodgy. New battery. Right front headlight is blown. Missed four straight services.

Shame. Dont think she'll take my offer anyway.
    Last edited by Geo; 04-01-2016 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    Never mind. Found out for myself. Needs about a minimum $1000 worth of fixes. Engine and Turbo seem solid but needs alot of cosmetic fixes. New rotors and brake pads. Rear shocks are totally screwed. Front headlight washer is completely broke, right rear door handle is dodgy. New battery. Right front headlight is blown. Missed four straight services.

Shame. Dont think she'll take my offer anyway.
    Hey guys. She's got back and accepted my offer of $11k. My partners brother is a mechanic and works on MPS' quite often so he can do all the fixes outside of work hours with no labour costs.

The above items should be achievable under the $1k without labour? Would a second hand headlight washer be tough to find in the brisbane area?

New battery is about $160
    New rotors and brake pads all round at next service ~$450?
    New washer ??
    Fix door handle or replace with same colour code ??
    New shocks ~$200?

Anyone able to confirm any of these prices?

Thanks. Engine sounds very good. Never got the turbo to kick in but it looks in good condition. Its got the bolt and mounting bracket replaced on the engine. Looks to be a good replacement.

Hmmm, battery sounds about right, maybe 200
    Pads and rotors will probably be about $7-800 for all 4 corners (hit up gsl rally sport) for basic rotors and pads
    Shocks, depends what you go for, used stock will be around 200, but aftermarket starts at 600 and only goes up from there

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Hmmm, battery sounds about right, maybe 200
    Pads and rotors will probably be about $7-800 for all 4 corners (hit up gsl rally sport) for basic rotors and pads
    Shocks, depends what you go for, used stock will be around 200, but aftermarket starts at 600 and only goes up from there
    No point getting really cheap stuff in it. Will keep that in mind.any idea how hard it'll be to find colour coded door handles and a new washer?

Might be a few cars in the wreckers maybe?

12. Default

Been in touch with GSL. Decent but not overly expensive brake pads rotors and two rear shocks will set me back $970. I'm happy to pay that knowing that there will be good quality parts in.

Leaving the door handle, new battery and right headlamp jet washer to source. I think {he door handle will be an easy find but from initial searching the washer might be difficult and may be something I'd have to live with until I find the part.

Getting the car for $11k then spending most likely $1300 to $1400 sounds like a reasonable price on here? Rego will be out end of April. Last service was in November.

Formaz (or similar name) seem to consistently have MPS parts there - try them Maybe try talk her down due to the costs involved - battery and rear shocks & brakes aren't cheap. But I'm in WA, got my 2007 6MPS for $13,000 a year ago with 99k kms...?

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Puddi View Post
    Formaz (or similar name) seem to consistently have MPS parts there - try them Maybe try talk her down due to the costs involved - battery and rear shocks & brakes aren't cheap. But I'm in WA, got my 2007 6MPS for $13,000 a year ago with 99k kms...?
    Yeh battery will be $200. $900 for the rest with just the handle and washer jet to source. Which I can take my time on.

The brake pads and rotors will do until next service so the immediate expense will be on rear shocks and a new battery. Most likely an Exide battery. So that'll be about $410.

Then in the small service it'll need new brake pads and rotors.

She was fairly insistent on $12k. I wouldn't get her down any further than the $11k we agreed on I reckon. Might be about $300 more than where it should be but would you really find a car that wouldn't need anything done to it?

I quite like the colour too. I'll probably go for it, even though it might be a few hundred more than what it should be. Giving it another look Saturday and then if all is good will take it then. I'm sure I'll have some questions to ask in the future!

15. Default

Hey Geo, I did inspect the same car you bought with the dodgy service history and rear right door handle. I found a grey one you might have seen, it had a full service history, new clutch and much, much better body condition for 11,499. Although it did come with some flaws as all cars with this many km's. How's the car treating you?

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JasonMPS View Post
    Hey Geo, I did inspect the same car you bought with the dodgy service history and rear right door handle. I found a grey one you might have seen, it had a full service history, new clutch and much, much better body condition for 11,499. Although it did come with some flaws as all cars with this many km's. How's the car treating you?
    Haven't picked it up yet. Getting it for $10500. Having another look tomorrow before buying it. Is this one of the greys with 19" wheels and 30 profile tyres? There was two of them, wouldnt be a comfortable ride so for me needs 18's put back on straight away. If I wasn't so picky I'd get a grey one as they're more popular easier to find and would probably not as many problems. From the looks of it I can buff almost all the scratches on this one out. The front bumper around the license plate should be an easy enough DIY its only minor. The washer jet I've sourced already for $70 and a good few wreckers with door handles for next to nothing. I just need to take it off and see what's actually wrong with it.

I've a mechanic friend who wasn't fussed by the service history of this one once he heard the engine and listened to it sit idle and turned off at warm. Couldn't hear any ticking etc, drive chain looked in great condition so I guess the service history isn't overly concerning (although still an annoyance and laughable to say in the ad full service book).

It'll need about $1500 work over the next 6 months or so. Can tip away at them and I should have it in good shape again.

Just when I am to sell this on people might baulk at the service history.

Mild relief to hear you didn't find anything I haven't found, thanks for replying and hope you're enjoying your new MPS!

17. Default

Nah it wasn't that one, those rims looked too horrid to even consider. It was only posted on gumtree, it is completely stock other than the aftermarket clutch. Took your blue one for a test drive and it drove like a treat so mechanically should be fine. It'll be a fun car to do some project work on anyways. I'm taking mine in to Mazda for a service on monday so hopefully they pick up on anything RACQ and I missed. I initially offered 11,500 for the blue MPS and she was fine with it so I'm glad to hear you knocked her down more, lying about new tyres and full service history.. what was she expecting, people not to look?

18. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JasonMPS View Post
    Nah it wasn't that one, those rims looked too horrid to even consider. It was only posted on gumtree, it is completely stock other than the aftermarket clutch. Took your blue one for a test drive and it drove like a treat so mechanically should be fine. It'll be a fun car to do some project work on anyways. I'm taking mine in to Mazda for a service on monday so hopefully they pick up on anything RACQ and I missed. I initially offered 11,500 for the blue MPS and she was fine with it so I'm glad to hear you knocked her down more, lying about new tyres and full service history.. what was she expecting, people not to look?

You're very lucky you walked away for that price then. There's too much to be done for $11.5k. Only reason I'm entertaining this price is because I can do it myself with the help of my mechanic friend for the price of parts and a few beers. It'll be over $2.5k to fix in a shop without getting your own hands dirty. I'll probably get it done for $1500 max. But I will have some good parts in there. Particularly rotors and pads.

The tyres are fairly rubbish. But something I can live with for a few months atleast. But as you said hard to find one with no flaws for that price point.

Hopefully you dont find much else wrong with yours. Sounds like you got a solid car yourself.

In terms of the exterior what did you find wrong? I found a few scratches and the front bumper above the license plate had a little dent. Anything else? I'll be giving it the once over and another test drive before handing cash so knowing anything else on the exterior would be helpful. Particular if you reckon it needed a new paint finish on any parts.

19. Default

I picked up front rotors for 345. Dba T2 slotted. They can be had pretty cheap

20. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Wookie666 View Post
    I picked up front rotors for 345. Dba T2 slotted. They can be had pretty cheap
    Yup that's exactly what GSL quoted me. I'll be picking them up in the coming months

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast