User Tag List

Thread: Darkening the chrome in headlights BL mps

Default Darkening the chrome in headlights BL mps

How legal is it to black out the internal blingy chrome of headlights? 2x videos of diy jobs below

I've had a look through Vicroads, but there's only laws in Victoria regarding tinting the outer casing of headlights. Not so much the internal aspect of the headlight itself. Otherwise there's not much out there saying whether it needs to be shiney/reflective where I can read.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWP_begsySk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnT9ci8i5Pk

2. Default

Not sure about VIC but I'm pretty sure you are allowed to black out the internal aspect being the chrome I know the new Jeep Grand Cherokee has black internal lights can't be legal I'm sure the outta tint has a limit because it affects the actual lighting Iv been thinking of doing it myself awhile ago but can't be stuffed pulling off the whole front bumper bar for it so held back ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I thought.
    I might plastidip them gunmetal grey so I can reverse it if they have an issue with it
    Last edited by ewzensu; 17-06-2016 at 11:05 AM.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ewzensu View Post
    That's what I thought. The new ambulances we've been getting in Vic have been getting the greyed out treatment to their headlights too.

I might plastidip them gunmetal grey so I can reverse it if they have an issue with it
    Yeah sounds like the safe option !! Post a pick once there done show us how they look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Default

Won't darkening the chrome interior of a light change the projection of the light beam?

The xenon headlights don't use the chrome to redirect light. The signal light however seems to, to some degree - I was hoping they would showcase this in the video when they finished.

In the new gen Mazda 3 they seem to have blacked out the surroundings around the signal light with a gloss black, so it still reflects to some degree.