User Tag List

Thread: 06 3 CVV replacement

1. Default 06 3 CVV replacement

Hey guys, ive recently picked up a 06 3 in blue. I bought it with a known stuffed CVV and thought id share how I've gone about getting it fixed as it seems like a pretty common issue but expensive, especially living in Adelaide.

Paradise motors Mazda quoted $733.60 for parts. They want to do the chain and the tensioner while they are there.
    They quoted $577.50 for 5 hours labor to complete the job.
    $60 for a oil.
    $1371 total

In searching around for the best parts prices i found it was only worth getting the more expensive from the US
    Parts Ive orderd are VVT, cover seal, chain and chain tensioner
    Total the parts cost $494.68 with washers etc supplied genuine.
    Supercheap have 10w 40 for $36.99

So total cost is $1072

Whist I would much rather a turbo upgrade this seems reasonable price to pay...Hope it helps anyone else in SA with the same problem who do not want to pay upwards of 2k.

Ill post to say how it goes in a few weeks.

CVV = VVT? Isn't the $494.68 in USD?

I'm getting mine done too in a couple of weeks by a local Mazda dealership - just shy of $1400. Going off other posts on the forums, Mazda have quoted upwards of $2 - 3K for the job so I'm happy (enough) with this. I wouldn't trust the job to a backyard operator myself.

JB

Get it wrong and it can stuff your motor... I'd fork out the money and get it done properly

4. Default

Yes sorry VVT
    Mazda are completing the work, but in sourcing the parts myself ive managed to get it down to the 1072 price.

Good stuff - are you doing the rebuild next week? Let us know how you go - I'm due in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to a smoother powerband and less tractor

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    Good stuff - are you doing the rebuild next week? Let us know how you go - I'm due in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to a smoother powerband and less tractor
    Have to wait for the parts to get in from the US. Hopefully in the next three weeks!

Hi Lenigas,

how did you go with yours? I had a VVT rebuild in my car last week, along with a new side engine mount installed. Tractor now gone! On the road, the difference in a smoother low-end is immense. Power is available on tap instead of being there "most" of the time beforehand.

Smoother low end should be thr engine mount effect

True that, although the chain was quite loose too, it just makes it easier to drive in traffic and more refined