User Tag List

Thread: Stock MPS - Looking To Mod

1. Default Stock MPS - Looking To Mod

Hi All,

Long time reader but havent posted much, but now the time has come to start doing a few small things to my car as the warranty is now up :-)

What do all suggest to get some reliable horsepower out of a Gen 2 2011 Maz 3 MPS

I have read a few post's and im set on getting the below, could anyone please organise them in theorder they should be installed / purchased

1. COBB AP
    2. COBB Engine Mount - Rear
    3. COBB SRI / Airbox 3" and Turbo inlet pipe upgrade
    4. HPFP
    5. TMIC - Brand Unknown
    6. Full Exhaust - Turbo Back - COBB / CP-E

Im not looking for huge horsepower or anything like that, this car is my daily driver and as such i would like it realiable and just some solid horsepower over stock

Please feal free to mention suggest anything that i would need extra that i can add to my shopping list

So far all ive done is an aftermarket BPV - Which is a plumb back as im not into the turbo blow off noise

And i am a mechanic by trade so doing the mods myself as i have access to a 4 post hoist and all the tools i need to upgrade myself ... last time i worked on cars tho i was building 308's and 351 clevo's with 750 double pumper's and edelbrock proformer manifolds :-) so very far removed from what this car is.

When in doubt ask the experts !!
    Last edited by Devilman; 18-11-2015 at 04:37 PM.

There is some terms these kids haven't heard before lol

Looks like you've done some research. The order of mods you've listed is good.

Other things I'd recommend you consider would be an upgraded rear engine mount and an upgraded intercooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MPS2NV View Post
    There is some terms these kids haven't heard before lol
    Hopefully I'm asking the right questions :-)

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by hermz View Post
    Looks like you've done some research. The order of mods you've listed is good.

Other things I'd recommend you consider would be an upgraded rear engine mount and an upgraded intercooler.

Thanks for that had completely forgot about a FMIC or the Rear Eng Mount - List Updated

By the way guys i am actually a Parts Interpreter and my work has an account with Mazda Parts WA - So if anyone needs anything looking up or some prices, More that willing to help :-)

Welcome. My 2c: go 3" intake from the start, perhaps look into upgraded top mount intercooler rather than front mount if staying stock turbo (particularly on a gen 2 with its big scoop, a FMIC won't add much power for the much higher price - TMIC + meth would be best if you have the $$$) , rear sway bar, and the best tyres you can afford.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    Welcome. My 2c: go 3" intake from the start, perhaps look into upgraded top mount intercooler rather than front mount if staying stock turbo (particularly on a gen 2 with its big scoop, a FMIC won't add much power for the much higher price - TMIC + meth would be best if you have the $$$) , rear sway bar, and the best tyres you can afford.

Yeah i don't think ill be changing from the stock turbo at all, sound advice. Do you recommend any brand over another for the TMIC ?

The rear sway bar - Does it cut out a lot of the side roll ?

Just picked up some cheap tyres for the moment - will be throwing some good rubber on it early next year :-)

Updated list*

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Devilman View Post
    6. Full Exhaust - Turbo Back - COBB / CP-E
    I thought the dump pipe was the most restrictive part of our exhausts and the actual exhaust is fine. Depends on how much money you want to spend but you could just get a better dump pipe and spend the exhaust money on something else.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by o0 Matt 0o View Post
    I thought the dump pipe was the most restrictive part of our exhausts and the actual exhaust is fine. Depends on how much money you want to spend but you could just get a better dump pipe and spend the exhaust money on something else.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
    I had originally thought about that but then i started you tubing the exhaust notes and i got addicted to some of the sounds haha

Half the fun of modding is spending some $$ on rice :-)

Racepipe gives you like 75% of what a full turbo back exhaust does. RSB helps with understeer by limiting rear end roll (3 wheeling!). Iv got a cpe TMIC. It and the ETS are similar and the largest. Corksport is good if you want to keep your stock shroud.

11. Default

Sorry another question ... in the next few weeks or less im going to pull the trigger on a COBB AP ... Whats the best place to buy it and what's the best price people have got it for ?

Thanks again guys

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    Racepipe gives you like 75% of what a full turbo back exhaust does.
    Sorry Lachlan - Racepipe = brand or what part of the exhaust or intake ?

No worries, all the jargon is confusing haha. Second half of the downpipe. Removes the 2nd (unmonitored) factory cat. Our exhaust goes: exhaust manifold - turbo - downpipe (short) - racepipe (long downpipe = short downpipe + racepipe) - catback (includes a resonator up front). There are a few diagrams floatin around too.

14. Default

Thanks Lachlan - Explanation was perfect

COBB AP from Edge ? or another supplier ?

Edge Autosport
    RPM Store
    New Age Auto Parts

Whichever is cheapest.

I find it really pays to buy a few things at once if you can. Paying for shipping from the US to Aus each time can get expensive.

If you're interested in the difference a tune makes on a stock car... (With hpfp)

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...d.php?t=195501

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    If you're interested in the difference a tune makes on a stock car... (With hpfp)

Stock MS3 genPu tune results: 33whp / 50wtq increase. No bolt-ons. - Mazdaspeed Forums
    Ok so just so im getting this all correct ... sorry don't have a lot of experience with the newer car's

The above link is telling me that i should prioritise the COBB AP and the HPFP, then tune and see if im happy with the way its performing ?? Then look at my options and purchase wisely :-)

That would work. You will pay a few hundred for the initial tune and get lots more power. Add more mods for more power, but you will need to retune after adding new mods (some for safety, others just to get the most benefit). Retunes are usually like $50. Cheapest way would be to assemble all your mods, install then get one tune straight away, but that is more $$$ up front and more patience. Haha