User Tag List

Thread: CPE CAI housing screws

Default CPE CAI housing screws

Hi,

It looks like the screws holding the housing on my CPE cold air intake are a little buggered. the tops of the screws dont really have any shape to them so when you stick the screw driver in the blade just spins in the head of the screw. Haven't cleaned the MAF sensor in 50k kms and would like to see if cleaning it makes a difference. Does anyone have any tips on how to get the housing off if the screws are in this state.

and does anyone know what size screws they are so i can buy some new ones to replace these with?

thanks

Do you have a pic? Can you get a vice grip around the screw?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

This is one of the better screws. The others are pretty rusted and the screw driver just spins in the screw. I suppose I could get a small vice grip around it and try twist is that way. didn't think of that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2015-10-13-10-24-13.png 
Views:	152 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	17621  

That's a hex bolt. Are you using a hex key to undo it or a screw driver? It doesn't look too damaged, so with the right key it should undo fine. Otherwise yeah, vice grips and a trip to bunnings should have you sorted. Ps, look after the o-ring when you get it off, they are fragile and cause problems when they break.

nah sorry i used the word screw driver but i'm using the correct tool. when i used it on the other screws it kinda of broke the edges off where its meant to catch as they were a tad rusty.

should i purchase some replacement O rings at bunnings just incase i do drop one or it falls into a vat of acid or something?

Try to avoid the acid ha ha. Another option, you can maybe also try a slightly larger hex or a torx bit + force to dig into the rust and remove it, then just replace the wrecked bolt. That's worked for me in the past.

Don't know if you can get o-rings the right size at bunnings. Should be ok for a few times, they just aren't designed to be removed very often (mine crapped out after about 3-4 removals so I got a replacement oem from edge).

Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

sweet. thanks for the info.

ive never removed mine so hoping the first time is all OK. everyone keeps saying clean the MAF sensor you'll notice a difference so i thought it was time.

Would have been removed at least once to install the cai, but yeah, should be fine. Definitely worth a clean @50k!