User Tag List

Thread: Prevelance of Zoom Zoom Boom

1. Default Prevelance of Zoom Zoom Boom

Hi guys,

Im looking to join the world of MPS.

Im looking at an 07 3mps which has been really really well looked after. Never missed a service. Zero modifications.

Doing my research at the moment and have been reading up on the zzb issue.

Everything im reading seems to be info from 5 years ago.

I would be very grateful if you knowledgable folks could give me a run down on how many known occurences in Australia?

Is there any new info regarding what theory might be the correct one in terms of cause?

Is there a significant risk to unmodified well looked after cars?

Im sure this has been asked and answered in the past, however i cant seem to get the search function to help me out.

Any info would be very mucb appreciated.

If you can tell with a high chance that the car has not been modified in anyway, its very unlikely that the car you are looking at will have any issues with ZZB. Its usually 3's who have had up to stage 2 mods and have not had their fuel pump upgraded leading to leaning out of the air/fuel ratios leading to the ZZB (correct me if I'm wrong here guys) - I haven't gone down the mods part at all.

Hello Devski and welcome.

I think @mech81 is correct in that you can be fairly confident of not having issues with a totally unmodified vehicle. The MZR-DISI engine is actually quite reliable if left standard, though there are some known issues. Search for the gen 1 reliability thread to get more info on this.

Even with mods, if planned correctly, the same can be said. There are plenty of well modified daily drivers out there that have done the km's to prove this.

I'm still fairly new to this game compared to a lot of others on this forum so I'd wait to see what a few others have to say on the matter, but I'm sure @SarcasticOne is someone who'll know what to look out for /who to ask if not 😊

These days it's usually due to the numpty who is working in the engine bay doing something wrong, rather than random zzb...

Classic example recently was someone (can't remember who) installing the EWG wrong, so it never actually opened...

The failure points on this motor are well documented/understood by many in the community (mainly hpfp and reasonable torque limits), so if you get a reputable tuner, it can actually increase the safety of your engine
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

5. Default

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

So if i wanted to remain stock and just get some extra piece of mind, doing hpfp internals and getting a tune to move torque and boost pressure higher up in the revs might be a good idea?

Will make an offer on the car today or tomorrow, so hopefully I can do a proper introduction with some photos soon.

Cheers

You don't want them to introduce more lag into the mix, just HPFP and a good tune that doesn't boost spike and fuels the car properly is all you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    You don't want them to introduce more lag into the mix, just HPFP and a good tune that doesn't boost spike and fuels the car properly is all you need.
    This ^^^
    Quote Originally Posted by devski View Post
    Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

So if i wanted to remain stock and just get some extra piece of mind, doing hpfp internals and getting a tune to move torque and boost pressure higher up in the revs might be a good idea?

Will make an offer on the car today or tomorrow, so hopefully I can do a proper introduction with some photos soon.

Cheers
    There's only so much "moving" of boost pressure you can do on these cars, stock turbo stops doing decent work from about 5500rpm...

Can limit it at bit below 3k (good for engine safety) but due to large(ish) displacement engine with small(ish) turbo there's only so much you can do

But yes, a hpfp + tune is a great starting point for these cars
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Check for any vvt noises or repair invoices.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just do your research if/when modifying and get the car tuned.

And as a recent zzb victim take it from me; never go WOT if you don't think the car is 100% right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Default

Still driving an original '06, no engine/intake/exhaust mods. Only some suspension mods. 136k on the clock.
    No issues from daily driving or some spirited driving either. I'd invest in brake mods first, like decent pads and if you have the cash, go rotors. The T2/3 combo is rather popular for brake mods.

If you're going to do something more than daily, look at the suspension/tie-end setup. The originals start to knock rather quickly (rough roads, speed humps etc) and get very annoying.