User Tag List

Thread: Noisy gearbox and non operational LSD

1. Default Noisy gearbox and non operational LSD

Hi guys..

I have read all the pages on the oil thread but am no closer to answering the issues with my geabox.
    I recently changed the oil on my 120,000 k + gearbox to the Penrite Trans Gear semi synthetic 75w 90 oil. Since then the whine in the box has gotten quite severe and the LSD seems to have stopped working all together. When i accelerate in 2nd gear and get some wheelspin, the front passenger side wheel just makes a massive banging noise like the wheel is jumping up and down. Is this related? I have changed all 3 mounts which has made no difference.
    The other thing i have noticed is the backlash in the box is extremely bad. When engaging the clutch in any gear it lets out a big thump unless you ride the clutch when letting it out.
    Everyone who has driven the car states that a mount must be broken, which I know isnt the case.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Gen 1 or 2? I would check the oil level in the gearbox after you changed it and if it is OK, swap it out again for something that is full synthetic like Castrol Syntrans. Failing that, something might be broken.

3. Default

Gen 1. Checked fluid and was full

Might be worthwhile checking all of your mounts. It might have just been a coincidence re: oil change and clunking. Failing that, drain it out and if something has let go, you should see glitter through your oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as fluid goes, I recommended 75w80 even in a gen 1. There was an update issued by Mazda changing the spec which not everyone is aware of. I've had good results with Penrite 75w80 semi synthetic.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk