User Tag List

Thread: SWAS Disconnect button.

Default SWAS Disconnect button.

So I wired in a little button that disables the SWAS system this week. I managed to do it in a super stealthy way using the dummy switch blanking plate and a microswitch. Turned out to be quite simple.

It's set up so the microswitch is normally on by default and pressing the button momentarily disconnects the power supply to the SWAS module. This then stays off until the car is restarted, so you can get away a simple off switch, while having the added benefit of it always being on when the car is started.

Now this might all seem well and good and SWAS is the devil etc, but there are unwanted side effects that anyone who is thinking of this mod NEEDS to know about.

Firstly: Disabling SWAS disengages all stability control and traction control. Not the safest option, also why I wired my switch in so it would always be on by default.

Secondly: There is a secondary side effect where the power steering does not boost properly, particularly during low speed maneuvering or instances where you are swerving left or right, slalom style. In these cases you lose a lot of power steering assistance which is in itself potentially dangerous.

I wired this sucker up to try and fix the partial throttle problems that I have been having, but given the power steering bullcrap that it causes, there is a good chance this mod will sit there unused. Even at the racetrack. Hence why I am glad I implemented mine in such a way that it's almost impossible to spot.

that's pretty cool...

you say it's simple, but do electronic stuff as your day job...

in order to see if it's really simple, do you think i could i do it?

The hardest parts were A) retrofitting a physical switch into the dummy carrier and B) Getting the ****ing steering column trim back in (Seriously, took me an hour to do).

The wiring itself is a piece of piss if you know how to use a soldering iron.

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    in order to see if it's really simple, do you think i could i do it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    The wiring itself is a piece of piss if you know how to use a soldering iron.
    So, nope...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

i wonder what's causing the power steering failure? Some remnant of the SWAS coding in the ECU decreasing a value because it expects less power? The hydraulic pump simply not keeping up under heavy load? Something that might actually be possible, instead of my complete guesses with a severe lack of mechanical knowledge?

I think you'll find the electrically powered 'power steering' is using load and speed logic to determine the rate of assistance. This would help it decide on full assistance at low speed/tight radius turns and partial assistance at higher speeds.

My guess is the SWAS provides some of the required data for the steering logic and the cpu is therefore making decisions with incomplete data sets.

Cool. But did it fix the partial throttle richness issues, or yet to be determined?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MPS00M View Post
    I think you'll find the electrically powered 'power steering' is using load and speed logic to determine the rate of assistance. This would help it decide on full assistance at low speed/tight radius turns and partial assistance at higher speeds.

My guess is the SWAS provides some of the required data for the steering logic and the cpu is therefore making decisions with incomplete data sets.
    Yea my bet is this is pretty much right on the money.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hermz View Post
    Cool. But did it fix the partial throttle richness issues, or yet to be determined?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I haven't fully tested it yet, it's hard to recreate the problem on the street so I might not fully know until I hit the racetrack again.

Speaking of my lack of knowledge, today I learned the 3mps runs electric power steering.

I should clarify that it isn't a 100% electric system. I'm pretty sure it just utilises an electric oil pump on the hydraulic system to vary pressure.

Hence why my next step is to see if I can fool that pump into keeping its assistance up above a certain level..... no doubt its possible but I dont want things to get any more complicated than they need to.

@Reedy, do you think there's a possibility your tuner can get the AP to provide a set of 'false' data to the cpu for the steering? I don't have an AP yet so I can't see for myself what tables are available etc. If you can sort that out, it may resolve the power steering issue without installing further wiring etc... I'm hoping they can as this may at least give you some variation in assistance.

Otherwise, I guess you could 'fool' the pump by making it provide a constant pressure like a standard (non-variable) power assistance system. I'm sure this would negatively change the car's feel at high speeds on a track as you'd loose a bit of sensitivity due to the extra assistance received. This may cause undue wear to the pump as it would be constantly running from what I can work out (unless it's switched to only operate with the wheel 'off centre', but this is information the SWAS would provide so I'm not sure how you'd arrange that).
    Last edited by MPS00M; 23-09-2015 at 11:05 PM.

Yea we are currently discussing those kinds of options. If we can play around with AP stuff then that begs the question: Why coulnd't we disable the SWAS thing in software to begin with?! I was under the impression that this was possible with the AP already but in reality, it's far from perfect.

Another thing that I checked today: This mod triggers an error code (C1938 - Steering wheel angle sensor) that sits in the ECU until cleared. It doesn't trigger a CEL or anything but it's in there nonetheless. Something for people to think about if they are doing this mod and likely to take their car to Mazda.

In ATR, are you using the new DBW tables or just the check box for SWAS disable?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Don't know, Stratified are doing the tune so whatever they use I guess.

Update:

I hit the racetrack last week with an updated tune and SWAS button at the ready. End results are that the new tune had better driveability than before, but the partial throttle response is still a bit shit.

When I eventually hit the SWAS button and had a drive with it disabled, I can report that it actually does make a fairly substantial difference to the driveability. For all the downsides, it actually did help a lot. The car has a bit more torque to offer exiting corners but most importantly, it is a lot more progressive.

This is all still a bandaid tho, with my old Tunehouse tune there was never a problem with this kind of driveability, but it is very nice to have a workaround now.

So it seems to be a limitation with how AccessTuner disables SWAS then? That sucks. Maybe it'll get improved in a future update.

Yea it's rubbish.

I would have thought it would be fairly easy to just find the table that uses the SWAS sensor and set it all for zero compensation but it mustn't be quite so simple.

Final resolution to this problem for me was to go back to an Ecutek tune.

The problem with the AP is it disables swas in first and second gear, but not in 3rd.