User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 mps

1. Default 2012 mps

Hi. I own a 2012 MPS which is about to go out of warranty in December. I only got 362km out of my last tank of fuel (98% octain only). The clock only has 19,000km on it. I don't have a heavy foot and only travel approx 25km per day. Can anyone please tell me if this is normal?

Did you get your petrol from the same place you always do? Did your gauge definitely indicate full (sometimes we think we filled up when we accidently didn't). Did the car feel/drive any differently? Did you do any driving you don't normally do? Did you lend the car to anyone? There's probably more questions that need to be answered as well to know what might be the culprit.

3. Default

Thanks for replying. I get my petrol from the same servo each time. It was definately full. The car didn't feel any different. Sometimes I get up to 420km on a tank doing the same drive each day. I put it into Mazda every 6 months for a service. Each time I tell them that it seems to suck to much petrol but they keep telling me it's because of the turbo.

What sorta of traffic did u go through with that daily 25k?

That's pretty much what I get, but I do have a heavy foot. Is your 25km stop and start city driving?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Well, your answers kinda rule out the easy solutions. I've got a 6mps and around the 400 a tank mark is where I'm at as well. Doesn't really explain your consumption though. If it happened again then it would indicate something more than a dodgy batch of fuel, or some heavy traffic etc.

I travel around about the same distance daily in my Gen 1, in city traffic I average about 400km from a tank. This isn't great, but take it out on a country/long road and the fuel economy halves

You can reset the fuel trims by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.

Few things, car uses more during warm ups, so constant small trips = more fuel...

Stop/start uses more fuel than highway driving...

Also, when coming to a stop, do you leave it in gear or put clutch in? Leaving clutch engaged uses less fuel...

Also, stock tune goes rich really quickly!

9. Default

Hi there. I get hardly any traffic at all so not much stop start. I also warm the engine before driving. The fuel consumption seems rediculous. Under 380km out of the tank doesn't seem right. I have noticed both excaust pipes have very thick black stuff building up which I think is a sign that it's running extremely rich.

10. Default

Thanks for replying. Small trips, more fuel makes sense. I don't do a lot of stop/starts. I will try leaving the clutch engaged. Good idea. I'm not sure what you mean by stock tune does rich really quickly.

11. Default

I will be taking it up from Sydney to Evans Head next month (about 700km) next month, so it will be very interesting how much fuel it uses. I will look into the fuel trims. Thanks heaps for that.

12. Default

Thanks for that. It seems from what other people are saying is that the MPS's just guzzle fuel which is disappointing. BUT I love the car. It absolutely screams.

13. Default

I don't have a heavy foot and hardly any stop starts. The Mazda mechanic's keep telling me that because it's a turbo, it will suck lots of fuel.

14. Default

the MPS and Mazdas in general run RICH AS! Also, if you run into the boost range (who doesn't?) it'll chew petrol lots. If you plant your foot, watch the smoke out the back and the fuel gauge drop. I get on a 19km run to work, and then same back during the week, traffic lights and traffic etc, approx 380km per tank, maybe 400km. When I get some longer runs going I get 450k+ but not much more. Only long LONG trips give me longer fuel savings.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronwen View Post
    Thanks for replying. Small trips, more fuel makes sense. I don't do a lot of stop/starts. I will try leaving the clutch engaged. Good idea. I'm not sure what you mean by stock tune does rich really quickly.
    As your car makes more power, it puts in more fuel per "mass" of air...

At idle and crusie it puts in 1 part fuel to 14.7 parts air (stoichiometric ratio) meanwhile when you're going full throttle at 5500+ rpm it's putting in 1 part fuel to 10.5 parts air...

The standard Mazda tune starts increasing the amount of fuel to be put in to the car a lot earlier than it really needs to...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

16. Default

Good to know. Thanks heaps. An engine electrical warning light has come up on the dash over the weekend so it's going into Mazda Blacktown tomorrow to get checked over as it's coming out of warranty next month! Fricken great car though, I love it.

17. Default

Ah this makes sense. Thanks very much for explaining this. The more I learn, the more I understand as I thought there was something wrong with the motor. Turns out, it costs a lot of bloody money to run a MPS but worth it. I love my car.

18. Default

Thanks again everyone for your help and reply's. I took my MPS to Mazda Blacktown yesterday after complaining for the past 4 tune ups (2 years) about rediculous fuel consumption. After getting really annoyed at them as I am female and they are just not listening to me, they did diagnostic testing....surprise surprise....one of the injectors is failing!!!!!!! They told me they had to send the data to Japan and will wait for results in around 2 weeks. They also said that when they pull the injector out (massive job apparently), if it's rusty, it wont be covered under warranty. Like I said, I have been complaining about this for the past 4 services. My factory warranty runs out next month!!! Watch this space.

Glad it was sorted!

Good to see it's not just in your mind that it's got poor fuel consumption!

Pulling an injector is a reasonable sized job (need to pull intake manifold), but I'd hardly classify it as "massive"

Keep up updated!

It's a dealer Sam - anything other than swapping an oil filter is a huge job

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast