User Tag List

Thread: Blown turbo, mechanic recommending GCG high flow turbo from Sydney

Default Blown turbo, mechanic recommending GCG high flow turbo from Sydney

Hi all,

So, I have had the news. my turbo is very, very busted. Shaft play so bad the compressor is scrubbing against the housing.

My mechanic has quoted me $2200 for stock OEM turbo, or, $2350 from GCG turbo's in sydney. Apparently its high-flow, but doesn't require a tune as we run an AFM not a MAP. It also has some modifications for reliability (billeted compressor and a few other changes to things like bearings etc). its a full bolt on kit, comes with all gaskets etc for installation, no more to pay. It does reuse the stock oil line, however the mechanic is going to make a custom braided line for ~$100-$150.

Any other options I should consider? is this a reasonable price for a replacement turbo?

Finally, not that I should really care about this, but can I expect much of an increase in power from a high-flow unit? I'm guessing no, but I'm curious anyway....

Thanks!

You have a couple of options from the states in the form of a BNR S1 turbo which is essentially a higher flowing stock turbo.

There is also the options such as the corkspork and the BNR S3 which will give you a lot more potential. The corksport is the same idea as the GCG were it is a direct bolt on but would flow a lot more air. You will however need to get a HPFP and tune sorted to get it running properly.

Sometimes second hand K04s turn up for sale if you're stuck and need to get back on the road ASAP

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

any non stock turbo REALLY needs a proper tune for safety...

yes our cars fueling is based on a MAF sensor, but that doesn't mean that the stock tune can properly compensate for it in terms of boost control...

i'm hoping those prices include fitting! can find far cheaper new k04's on ebay for $500-600
    mazda k0422-882 | eBay
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    any non stock turbo REALLY needs a proper tune for safety...

yes our cars fueling is based on a MAF sensor, but that doesn't mean that the stock tune can properly compensate for it in terms of boost control...

i'm hoping those prices include fitting! can find far cheaper new k04's on ebay for $500-600
    mazda k0422-882 | eBay
    they do not :\ but thanks to your help & @ozynigma, I think I'll be buying some parts from somewhere else and just getting my mechanic to fit them. then take it to a tune shop for an OTS tune via the AP. never thought I'd have the $$$ for mods, but if I'm going to drop this much money repairing to "stock", may as well throw some aftermarket parts in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    they do not :\ but thanks to your help & @ozynigma, I think I'll be buying some parts from somewhere else and just getting my mechanic to fit them. then take it to a tune shop for an OTS tune via the AP. never thought I'd have the $$$ for mods, but if I'm going to drop this much money repairing to "stock", may as well throw some aftermarket parts in there.
    Hope they aren't doing an "OTS" install on your car, you shouldn't pay someone for that!

If you can copy files to a USB stick, you can put a map on your car!
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Hope they aren't doing an "OTS" install on your car, you shouldn't pay someone for that!

If you can copy files to a USB stick, you can put a map on your car!
    sorry, mixing my lingo. I meant an e-tune where you do a bunch of WOT runs and upload the data, receive tune back. I haven't actually lined up a shop/tuner for that part yet, figured I could sort that out later. At the moment I'm getting a GTX2867, autotech HPFP internals, cobb AP, and hopefully a twin dump pipe. later on I guess the next step would be a MAF housing, turbo inlet & SRI, as I'm guessing that my stock maf/intake will become the next "restrictive" part.

Point of no return....

Well, that escalated quickly!

Well, that escalated quickly!
    damn straight it did! even with an eBay K04 at 6-800 delivered, I'd still end up spending a few grand on parts/labour. And replacing a busted turbo with stock or aftermarket, either way the dump pipe is just going to be sitting there, begging to get yanked out and replaced.

I read the suggested build/mod order you linked in one of your many helpful stickies/posts, and I get that I'm doing things in kind of a reverse order, but with the stock turbo going bang, I'm kinda having my hand forced. I'll hopefully convince the missus that for Christmas I desperately need some intake gear :P

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    damn straight it did! even with an eBay K04 at 6-800 delivered, I'd still end up spending a few grand on parts/labour. And replacing a busted turbo with stock or aftermarket, either way the dump pipe is just going to be sitting there, begging to get yanked out and replaced.

I read the suggested build/mod order you linked in one of your many helpful stickies/posts, and I get that I'm doing things in kind of a reverse order, but with the stock turbo going bang, I'm kinda having my hand forced. I'll hopefully convince the missus that for Christmas I desperately need some intake gear :P
    Message me if you need to talk through anything on the phone. I am local and I am doing stage 2 of my mods on my CX7 right now.

Where are you getting the GTX and is it coming with the ATP turbo kit to suit the Mazda flanges?

Also you will have to do at least some work to your Turbo Inlet Pipe (TIP) as I think the GTX will have a bigger inlet than the K04.

Here is another link if you haven't already seen it.

Blog : The modification path in a MazdaSpeed/MPS vehicle : Stratified Automotive Controls

Stratified are tuning my car except I am also hiring a local dyno to avoid all those highly illegal WOT runs. I did a few in the early days, 60 - 140km/hr in 3rd gear in an 80 zone on a quiet back road.
    CX7 - The younger, taller and sexier replacement for the MPS6 and the first car designed around the MZR DISI
    2007 CX7 2.3 DISI AWD Ice Blue | HID's | ETS TMIC | Cobb XLE BOV | CX9 20" wheels | 245/50/20 Scorpion STR's | CS HPFP | CX9 Brakes | Pedders Sports Ryders -40mm | CS Turbo | JBR 3.5" WPI | Cooling Mist WMI |Versatune

quick update!

Got my car back from Troy at 2XS, super stoked with the results.

Final shopping list ended up being:

2XS 3" intake w/ 3 bar map sensor
    GTX2867r turbo
    2XS 3" twin dump pipe
    autotech HPFP internals
    Cobb AP V2
    3-port grimmspeed EBCS
    Purple Drank tune @ 21 PSI.

I have another tune from PD that runs spring pressure only, I'm contemplating running that instead of the 21 psi tune, just for longevity (I super, duper, cannot afford to VTA a rod....), but in having said that, I'm yet to hit 21 psi (closest so far is 17.7), so maybe I'll leave it as is. Still need to run some WOT logs I guess! have been data-logging just as I drive to work etc, things look good so far (from what I can see - I'm not exactly an expert, but google helps! ).

Impressions? the GTX2867 spools a tiny bit slower than the K04. I never even really noticed spool time with the k04, with the GTX there's a tiny bit of delay. That could just be my nanna-right-foot though, as I'm yet to give her the full beans. the pay off though is oodles of top end flow. Around 5Kish where the K04 has run its race, the GTX is still building/pulling harder. I'm yet to run it WOT to the redline yet, but I don't think this turbo is going to run out of legs.

Troy's intake and dump pipe are awesome, utterly awesome. At idle & cruising, you can't even tell the car is modified. Under light acceleration, there's a gentle whistle from the intake. When you give it some stick, the whistle turns in to a roar and you can really hear the GTX spooling. When you're done driving hard, it goes back to a nice gentle background noise. The car is definitely more responsive, and feels like it flows much better. I can see why Troy and his products are so highly recommended!

Thats it for now I guess. I should get some pictures shouldn't I? :P I've only got a potato phone though, maybe grainy pics will have to do. I also need to run some logs/V-dynos, just as soon as I figure out how, and more importantly, find a nice private road

as a final, if anyone's got any tips, tricks, suggestions, magical knowledge, or whatever else, I'm always open to learning new things! :P

Does anyone know much first hand experience how the GCG turbos go on MPS cars? I know GCG have LOADS of experience with Skylines, Silvias etc etc and lots of cars run their high flows units. But I am curious as to how they go on MPS cars.

Quote Originally Posted by andymoocow View Post
    Does anyone know much first hand experience how the GCG turbos go on MPS cars? I know GCG have LOADS of experience with Skylines, Silvias etc etc and lots of cars run their high flows units. But I am curious as to how they go on MPS cars.
    I have no first hand experience of GCG.

There are lots of proven options to upgrade the MPS engine. I wouldn't go with a little known option.

This should give you some general ideas.

Blog : The modification path in a MazdaSpeed/MPS vehicle : Stratified Automotive Controls

You won't get any benefit from a bigger turbo and you can do serious harm if you don't get your ECU retuned to match the turbo. You also need to consider upgrading the HPFP, intake, MAF calibration, TMIC and down pipe to suit.

Proven options include:
    BNR turbos (Bryan Nichols Racing) which come in 4 stages. S1 being a slightly higher flowing and more reliable replacement for the stock K04 turbo. These are bolt in and may require some slight modifications to feed and drain lines and intake.
    Corksport do a drop in turbo which bolts directly in with no modification. It can be used with stock intake and down pipe. Its about 30% higher flow so it needs an ECU tune. Equivalent to a BNR S3.
    Garrett GT/GTX turbos with an ATP housing and oil and water lines kit. Not a direct bolt up and will need a new intake.
    CX7 - The younger, taller and sexier replacement for the MPS6 and the first car designed around the MZR DISI
    2007 CX7 2.3 DISI AWD Ice Blue | HID's | ETS TMIC | Cobb XLE BOV | CX9 20" wheels | 245/50/20 Scorpion STR's | CS HPFP | CX9 Brakes | Pedders Sports Ryders -40mm | CS Turbo | JBR 3.5" WPI | Cooling Mist WMI |Versatune