User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: COBB Accessport vs. Dyno tune

1. Default COBB Accessport vs. Dyno tune

I know these are awesome units and i want to buy one - Just wondering if it's worth getting a dyno tune at all if you're considering buying one of these?

What advantages does a dyno tune have that the AP won't have?

Thinking about either ordering a stage 1 performance pack from Edge with the AP

OR

Going for Type 1 tune from HPF, WITHOUT the AP

Which do you vote is the better option?

Dyno tune without an AP, or the AP and no dyno tune?

2. Default

I vote AP as it has ability to monitor engine parameters via OBD and also flash back to stock tune or any other tune you may get (e-tune or self tune) at will

@Reedy
    AP (or versatune) 100%. With an AP, you can then either dyno or etune. Strength of the dyno tune is its easier to identify small changes in real time and you don't need to do illegal WOT pulls. Strength of an etune is you can be turned by a MUCH more experienced tuner, you have more flexibility to tune it to your driving style (as your testing it on the road as you go) and much cheaper.

4. Default

Can you vouch for the safety of the OTS tunes that come on the AP?

Quote Originally Posted by stockholm View Post
    You're increasing power above manufacturers limits/recommendations... They're about as safe as they can be for a generic map

As long as you have decent gas, and use the appropriate map, should be OK...

Some people's cars have troubles, but most are OK...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

The COBB OTS tunes aren't perfect but paying a little extra $50 for a stratified OTS tune might be your best bet.

I am in the process of having my DYNO tune replaced with an AP and E-Tune. I have been DYNO tuned for years and that has worked fairly well but the advantages of the AP kinda became too hard to ignore anymore. Being able to monitor the parameters myself and be a little bit more involved in the tuning process is what got me. I felt like we were always a step short of getting exactly what I wanted out of the DYNO tune and the extra customization the AP offers, in addition to the wider experience of the American E tuners. Also the AP is a lot cheaper in the long run as re-tunes cost almost nothing if you ever want anything changed.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    You're increasing power above manufacturers limits/recommendations... They're about as safe as they can be for a generic map

As long as you have decent gas, and use the appropriate map, should be OK...

Some people's cars have troubles, but most are OK...
    I was under the impression the stock tune was more detrimental to the car than a stage 1 dyno tune/AP tune?

I thought a stage 1 tune would improve power but also allow the car to use fuel better as the stock tune causes the car to run rich as all shit?

So you would get more power + more economy?

I didn't realize there was any danger to the engine by allowing it to breathe better?

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    The COBB OTS tunes aren't perfect but paying a little extra $50 for a stratified OTS tune might be your best bet.

I am in the process of having my DYNO tune replaced with an AP and E-Tune. I have been DYNO tuned for years and that has worked fairly well but the advantages of the AP kinda became too hard to ignore anymore. Being able to monitor the parameters myself and be a little bit more involved in the tuning process is what got me. I felt like we were always a step short of getting exactly what I wanted out of the DYNO tune and the extra customization the AP offers, in addition to the wider experience of the American E tuners. Also the AP is a lot cheaper in the long run as re-tunes cost almost nothing if you ever want anything changed.

Did you notice a significant power increase with the OTS tunes? Also, do the OTS tunes help with the factory running rich situation?

Car is running like a pig in terms of fuel consumption at the moment...

Sorry. it's a smart ass response to people questioning the safety of tunes...

A stage 1 tune will improve power and driveability, and lean it out at WOT...

Are the tunes "safe", yeah, for the most part... As I said, sometimes you have funky boost control, but for the most part it seems fine...

I ran the Cobb OTS tunes for a fair while and they were fun, but a bit crude. Saw big changes in drivability and power by moving to a real etune. +1 on starting at an etune, or at least a stratified OTS and etune later.
    These cars always run fairly rich, even on protunes (I'm targeting mid 11s tapering to high 10s, so better than stock but still fairly rich). Honestly, your fuel economy will go to hell with a tune because you will flog it more haha
    If you get an APv3 you will also have all the gauges you will need for the street in one device.
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

Did you notice a significant power increase with the OTS tunes? Also, do the OTS tunes help with the factory running rich situation?

Car is running like a pig in terms of fuel consumption at the moment...
    I didn't use any OTS tunes with mine, I have started straight up with a stratified custom tune. Only have a base map so far so can't say how good the end result is just yet.

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    I ran the Cobb OTS tunes for a fair while and they were fun, but a bit crude. Saw big changes in drivability and power by moving to a real etune. +1 on starting at an etune, or at least a stratified OTS and etune later.
    These cars always run fairly rich, even on protunes (I'm targeting mid 11s tapering to high 10s, so better than stock but still fairly rich). Honestly, your fuel economy will go to hell with a tune because you will flog it more haha
    If you get an APv3 you will also have all the gauges you will need for the street in one device.

Define 'Crude' hahaha

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    I didn't use any OTS tunes with mine, I have started straight up with a stratified custom tune. Only have a base map so far so can't say how good the end result is just yet.
    Ahh right

Where do you obtain these custom E-tunes?

I'm basically just looking for basic power/economy improvements with some intake mods that i'll be purchasing, which is why i thought the OTS tunes would be sufficient

Define 'Crude' hahaha
    Boost spikes and troughs, power falling off at high RPM, power delivery a touch erratic through the power band. I made a bunch of changes to get the throttle to my liking and that improved delivery a fair bit.

In comparison, my new etune holds boost almost perfectly and feels strong and linear everywhere to 6500rpm. The process also revealed that I needed a 3-port and bigger intake. Cost me $50 extra to retune for these and made a huge difference (holds 19.5 psi at redline now).

The OTS maps were definitely fun though and i don't regret them. I assume the sots would be a better start through.

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    Boost spikes and troughs, power falling off at high RPM, power delivery a touch erratic through the power band. I made a bunch of changes to get the throttle to my liking and that improved delivery a fair bit.

In comparison, my new etune holds boost almost perfectly and feels strong and linear everywhere to 6500rpm. The process also revealed that I needed a 3-port and bigger intake. Cost me $50 extra to retune for these and made a huge difference (holds 19.5 psi at redline now).

The OTS maps were definitely fun though and i don't regret them. I assume the sots would be a better start through.

Going off that - it sounds like a dynotune at HPF would be the better option...

Honestly, a AP + "flash tune" from stratified or freek tune will give you most of what you want, for a lot less effort... AP has stacks of room to grow as well

Going off that - it sounds like a dynotune at HPF would be the better option...
    Nope. It would be better than a cobb OTS but not better than a real etune. An OTS map is a canned tune designed to work with any MPS of similar mods. Any real tune (dyno or etune) tailored to your car will be better.
    Then what it comes down to is price and flexibility (where the AP is light years ahead of something like mazedit - cheaper, easier to re-tune, can monitor, can switch between multiple tunes, can even take logs to post here for help if you ever have a problem rather than paying a shop to diagnose) and experience of tuner (hpf or any other local tuner have tuned how many MPSs? Most etuners have done hundreds and hundreds).

18. Default

Also, it's best to contact Edge about ordering a stage1 performance kit with the AP at 'sales@edgeautosport.com', before i purchase, yeah?

Just to quote on freight etc...

And ask for their best price

20. Default

Sorry to hijack this thread and chime in.....im also thinking about getting the COBB AP, my car is completely stock, is it actually safe to run a stage 1 tune with no engine mods? With the increased power, there will be more engine heat, and i still have the CAT and stock airbox so not increasing the breathing capabilities, is this dangerous? Also, for mechanical warranty purposes, flashing back to stock rom is pretty safe eh? The dealer is unlikely to know i've done anything to it?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast