Thread: COBB Accessport vs. Dyno tune

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    IE internals seem to work...

They're almost $500 USD though
    Hence why an aussy alternative would be awesome. Unlikely, but awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    Hence why an aussy alternative would be awesome. Unlikely, but awesome
    The machines to do such a thing are ridiculously expensive

Compare the autotechs vs IE and you'll see where the extra cost goes...

I've got the redline si-1 if you want to use some... But I don't have the tools/know how to pull the pump apart myself...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Someone thinks I know shit. Lol

Agree with most of this, except the bit about the accountability. If a local tuner blows up an engine you might be able to sue them or something, but in the end they will still have more walk ins to keep up business (particularly if they aren't Mazda specific). If an etuner, whose business is based online and hangs on their online reputation starts blowing up engines it will hit forums, facebook etc and will hurt them directly. My personal experience with Ray was that he noticed all the little things to keep my car safe, while at the same time i'v had brick and mortar shops (not tuning, but still relevant) put an angle grinder through my whiteline RSB or give no ****s about parts I bought that fell apart. I don't think one is really inherently more trustworthy than the other.

Oh...and your other stuff about fwd...but POWAH!!! So jealous of that turbo haha
    Yeah thats what I was hinting at with the accountability side of things. I was probably more talking about HPF in general as keeping their reputation and if they blew an engine there would be hell to pay, hence the signing the waiver. And yeah you are very correct on that etunes also have that, their reputation would be down the drain. However, it would be far easier to get some cash out of a local tuner than one based in another country if you get my drift.
    2010 Gen 2 - "SPOOOL" (VIC) - Fully bolted

CORKSPORT TURBO | COBB AP3 | COBB DOWNPIPE | COBB REM | AUTOTECH HPFP | CORK SPORT 3" PS MAF INTAKE | COBB SF AB | CPE TMIC | CPE HEADERS | COBB 3 PORT EBCS | 3 BAR MAP| PEDDERS COILOVERS | DBA T4 SLOTTED ROTORS | CORKSPORT EYELIDS| FORGE V1 BPV| | MAGNAFLOW CUSTOM | VELOCITY RED | PEARL 2PAC STOCK RIMS | DUAL TUNED BY HPF ON E30

Quote Originally Posted by nas711 View Post
    Yeah thats what I was hinting at with the accountability side of things. I was probably more talking about HPF in general as keeping their reputation and if they blew an engine there would be hell to pay, hence the signing the waiver. And yeah you are very correct on that etunes also have that, their reputation would be down the drain. However, it would be far easier to get some cash out of a local tuner than one based in another country if you get my drift.
    Doubt you'd get any money out of any tuner unless they promised you a no zzb tune...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

@nas711 like the computer told you 'you have 500km left of fuel' when you filled up, or you actually got 500km on the odometer between fill ups?
    As in I reset my trip computer to 0, filled up 12L e85 and 28L P98 at 1/4 of a tank of existing mix. My ecu read 630L till empty, when I used it down to empty, my trip computer said I had traveled 498km. Because I am not hitting boost as much with this tune unless I actually want boost, I get great economy. If I were to tramp it up to 4.5K all day long and hit boost, I doubt I would get 350km..

CORKSPORT TURBO | COBB AP3 | COBB DOWNPIPE | COBB REM | AUTOTECH HPFP | CORK SPORT 3" PS MAF INTAKE | COBB SF AB | CPE TMIC | CPE HEADERS | COBB 3 PORT EBCS | 3 BAR MAP| PEDDERS COILOVERS | DBA T4 SLOTTED ROTORS | CORKSPORT EYELIDS| FORGE V1 BPV| | MAGNAFLOW CUSTOM | VELOCITY RED | PEARL 2PAC STOCK RIMS | DUAL TUNED BY HPF ON E30

IE internals seem to work...

They're almost $500 USD though
    I have been following mazdaspeed forums a bit on the IE pumps and they are failing quite quickly. Not sure if they are really ready for consumption yet...

Doubt you'd get any money out of any tuner unless they promised you a no zzb tune...

At these power levels they did promise me a no zzb tune. "100% completely safe timing and boost levels for your engine", hence why they are conservative numbers and many others running tunes are pulling higher hp from same mods as me. I said to Matt, "how much more power can I get", he said "up to 70kw, but you will need to sign our no liability waiver for any more if you want it out of the safe zone as you requested". I personally said to him, "this is my daily, I want a tune that is 100% safe and I can obliterate the throttle untill my hearts content without any detriment in regards to the tune itself". So it spent a few hours on the dyno and thats the figures they were happy with. They have a built MPS at the moment in their running 280kw with a balanced engine with K1 rods and pistons, but mine is a stock block, so a waiver is needed. On a built block, they are happy to push what ever is needed (sleeved, balanced, what evered).

I actually got them to type on my receipt "100% safe tune as requested by owner" to cover my ass. She blows due to tuning being off, I come knocking. They were in agreement with this..

As in I reset my trip computer to 0, filled up 12L e85 and 28L P98 at 1/4 of a tank of existing mix. My ecu read 630L till empty, when I used it down to empty, my trip computer said I had traveled 498km. Because I am not hitting boost as much with this tune unless I actually want boost, I get great economy. If I were to tramp it up to 4.5K all day long and hit boost, I doubt I would get 350km..
    Ah. Yeah the guesstimate' is crazy. That's very good, particularly on an eth blend. I get mid 300s on 98 (usually 14-15 l/100km), but I drive like a dickhead.
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

Ah. Yeah the guesstimate' is crazy. That's very good, particularly on an eth blend. I get mid 300s on 98 (usually 14-15 l/100km), but I drive like a dickhead.
    Haha yeah sometimes I do that, but at the moment its raining and horrid. So I have to keep to probably around 15psi max. As soon as I take it up to say 4.7K in second or 3rd gear it just opens up a little retarded, advanced boost and timing and just spins and spins. Until that rpm, it behaves itself so I use **** all fuel. I reckon on my trips to work at the moment I would hit no more than 11psi and if dry, maybe 1 WOT pull in 3rd to about 19psi. I rarely see the 20.5 boost target unless on a weekend. So fuel eco is great....at the moment lol

10. Default

At these power levels they did promise me a no zzb tune. "100% completely safe timing and boost levels for your engine", hence why they are conservative numbers and many others running tunes are pulling higher hp from same mods as me. I said to Matt, "how much more power can I get", he said "up to 70kw, but you will need to sign our no liability waiver for any more if you want it out of the safe zone as you requested". I personally said to him, "this is my daily, I want a tune that is 100% safe and I can obliterate the throttle untill my hearts content without any detriment in regards to the tune itself". So it spent a few hours on the dyno and thats the figures they were happy with. They have a built MPS at the moment in their running 280kw with a balanced engine with K1 rods and pistons, but mine is a stock block, so a waiver is needed. On a built block, they are happy to push what ever is needed (sleeved, balanced, what evered).

I actually got them to type on my receipt "100% safe tune as requested by owner" to cover my ass. She blows due to tuning being off, I come knocking. They were in agreement with this..

Where was this tune from, again?

Quote Originally Posted by stockholm View Post
    Where was this tune from, again?
    Custom tune with HPF in dandenong. It has had about 5-6 tunes over its 6 month life at their shop (was stock 6 months ago). Built up tunes in stages (first tune was COBB AP stage 2) and then as I have added the mods, we have custom retuned each time. Now I have two custom tunes, one the eblend and the other a straight 98 if I can't get to a united or caltex. They tune in a few hours if all goes well. $150 an hour.

With HPF, the tuner is a bit weary of knock, false or actual reported. If she knocks at all, he backs off. Good for piece of mind i suppose...Increasing my power needed more eth and more timing (or load tuning).

12. Default

Stage 2 - is that with dump pipe etc as well?

Yeah I think I got stage 2 OTS maps with Cobb sri, air box, inlet pipe, dump, engine mount and fuel pump. Then I said, **** it and did a custom tune anyway lol. Was only on COBB maps for a very short time. Save up and do it properly man, you need a AP or versa and do a custom tune. Much safer for engine than a general over the shelf tune. The AP is worth every dollar even as just a set of engine monitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingrove View Post
    Yeah went 98 stage 1 just the basic one up from stock

I do have one but not installed Cobb tip/sri just kinda saving and waiting then will do the HPFP at the same time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Man I reckon just bite the bullet and get one from MPS garage, wolf or HPF as the dollar ain't gonna change. In the end, you are only going to save $50 for god know how much shopping around. Id just go to HPF and do the install of it with intake and run on OTS 2 maps for a while. You will love the sehhhhhhhhhheeeeetttt choooo lol

I giggled like a school girl the first time I gave it a bit with the intake on lol.

You can install both HPFP and intake yourself pretty easily. Save some money on install and more importantly learn about your car. If you like playing with things, have a look at the snaild throttle tables for the Cobb maps. They make it come alive.

You can install both HPFP and intake yourself pretty easily. Save some money on install and more importantly learn about your car. If you like playing with things, have a look at the snaild throttle tables for the Cobb maps. They make it come alive.
    My car would explode if I touched a wire on it. I can build complete raid array servers from the ground up, but I am car retarded lol

My car would explode if I touched a wire on it. I can build complete raid array servers from the ground up, but I am car retarded lol
    In your honour I made up a new word. Re-car-ded.

Btw I admire your IT skills, the most I have built is a PC.
    CX7 - The younger, taller and sexier replacement for the MPS6 and the first car designed around the MZR DISI
    2007 CX7 2.3 DISI AWD Ice Blue | HID's | ETS TMIC | Cobb XLE BOV | CX9 20" wheels | 245/50/20 Scorpion STR's | CS HPFP | CX9 Brakes | Pedders Sports Ryders -40mm | CS Turbo | JBR 3.5" WPI | Cooling Mist WMI |Versatune

Ditto. However, the care and diligence needed to reassemble a HPFP is about on par, if not less, than that needed to build a pc without electrocuting yourself. So...

Well you see, one costs 20K the other roughly no more than 7-10 and is not my money lol. One is already AT work, the other GETS me to work. Who has ever electrocuted themselves from building a PC? Most step the power down significantly before hitting the motherboard lol. I did when I was 6 mount a mother board straight to the case without mounting shims so the board was directly on top of the alloy case lol. Just wouldnt start as it kept shorting out... Servers are easy as all their components are quite small compared to the monster sized gfx cards nowdays. I throw servers together and structure them pretty quick compared to a gaming pc, once again its all about whos money is paying for what lol

Ill admit, blowing up other people's money is always better :s And not fatally. Lol But I did get a scare while trying to identify a voltage droop (causing crashes when the graphics card was overclocked) with a dmm. There were sparks and all kinds of fun I didn't know anything about cars before my MPS and havnt blown anything up so far (famous last words as they are!).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast