User Tag List

Thread: 2006 Mazda 3 MPS Shocks

1. Default 2006 Mazda 3 MPS Shocks

Hi all, just need some advice on new shocks for my Mazda 3MPS. In a bit of a dilemma whether to order new shocks from Mazda or go KONI FSD. Have read quiet a lot on the KONIs and feel this is the way to go but I am being told to stick to manufacturers. Rang Mazda and quoted my approx $580 for fronts. Does anyone know a good source where I can get a quote for KONIS - I live in Melbourne.

Thanks

Try gslrallysport

Koni fsd are better IMO, as long as you never want to lower the car, they're designed to work at stock height...

Koni fsd or bilstein b6 for stock height, bilstein b8 for lowered.

Pretty sure its being discussed alot that b8 is good for both stock and lowered height

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I went from stock shocks to Koni FSD (stock springs). Absolutely no negatives to them at all. They ride better and handle better. You don't often get modifications with no trade offs.
    We recently fitted a set of B6's to a NA8 MX5, better, but not anywhere near the same level of improvement.

I've been running KONI FSD shocks for over 5 years without a problem handling improvements over stock is worth the money alone.
    They are recommended to run with stocks shocks but are approved by KONI to work with Eibach springs if lowering the car.
    Mine are the stiffer valving model (used on MX 5 models) and as I said have worked well with the eibach prokit lowered springs.
    Hope this helps.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by zippymps3 View Post
    I've been running KONI FSD shocks for over 5 years without a problem handling improvements over stock is worth the money alone.
    They are recommended to run with stocks shocks but are approved by KONI to work with Eibach springs if lowering the car.
    Mine are the stiffer valving model (used on MX 5 models) and as I said have worked well with the eibach prokit lowered springs.
    Hope this helps.
    Im running FSD's but with stock springs (i think) just wondering how low it gets, seems like with stock springs there's quite a bit of negative rake (front in the air) whats it like with the springs
    '06 Mazda 3 MPS Cosmic Blue

I'v yet to see anything (unless I have missed something) that actually proves this. Or do you just mean that b6 or b8 are both OK for stock? Bilstein recommend b6 for the MPS and b8 lowered. Yes yes they say the same for mz3 and the MPS is a lowered version of that, but not by enough that b6 wouldn't be fine and the b8 will be no more effective without much shorter and stiffer springs (eibach at a minimum, kings or similar preferable). So lowered =b8, stock = either.
    Quote Originally Posted by lovecolt View Post
    Pretty sure its being discussed alot that b8 is good for both stock and lowered height

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

Yes I mean both b6 and 8 are OK for stock springs. Tbh, its such a age old discussion, so I don't know where its mentioned. But based on what Eibach aus told me when I order mine, they said somethinf along the line that both are pretty much identical and can be used both ways. Either way, I'm using b8 on stock springs and so is many others that I'm aware, so seems to be fine....so I suppose they are both OK for stock height.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteMPS View Post
    Hi all, just need some advice on new shocks for my Mazda 3MPS. In a bit of a dilemma whether to order new shocks from Mazda or go KONI FSD. Have read quiet a lot on the KONIs and feel this is the way to go but I am being told to stick to manufacturers. Rang Mazda and quoted my approx $580 for fronts. Does anyone know a good source where I can get a quote for KONIS - I live in Melbourne.

Thanks
    At $580 for just the fronts, you would have to be crazy to go with OEM. And as someone who has had both FSD and Bilstein B8, at this price point, Bilstein all the way. Ride isn't quite as good, but the damping and control is way, WAY better than FSD.

Eibach Australia sell shocks as well as springs, and they had stock of B8's not even a month ago, and got delivered in 3 days. Around $1000 shipped for all 4.

Question... why are you changing? Just because it needs it?

I've got an 07 MPS with 102k on the clock & finding that my suspension is really creaky and noisy.

Mechanic just says it's plastic bushes?!?!?!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

12. Default

I also have an annoying squeak happening. Mine is from the front right as far as I can tell. There is also a knocking sound I hear. Different to the D bush for the front and rear away bars. Did the change and that clinch is gone. This is less pronounced and also sounds like the front right..... Frighten annoying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a knock from the rear of my 3 with 130k's on it, had Pedders take a look, all bushes etc fine but the rear left shock was seized and the right one wasn't far off, got them to swap them with their pedders ones and it's made a huge difference to the ride