User Tag List

Thread: Intake suggestions...

1. Default Intake suggestions...

Does anyone know of a good intake that will improve performance slightly/also sounds decent but won't be detrimental to my motor or bring on an engine light on a stock tuned MPS3?

I was looking at the CP-E xCel cold air intake because they claim that the fuel trimmings are nearly stock on it - but just wondering if anyone knows any that won't cause problems with a stock tune?

No real benefits from a CAI over SRI and lots more troubles. If you have a thing method (and you really need tuning to get any real performance benefit from any intake), I'd definitely recommend going 3" SRI or bigger straight away. Jbr, corksport, htp, 2xs are all good for 3"+.
    If you just want noise, jbr, corksport, cpe, 2xs, Cobb will all be good for stock size and will all run OK on the stock tune.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    No real benefits from a CAI over SRI and lots more troubles. If you have a thing method (and you really need tuning to get any real performance benefit from any intake), I'd definitely recommend going 3" SRI or bigger straight away. Jbr, corksport, htp, 2xs are all good for 3"+.
    If you just want noise, jbr, corksport, cpe, 2xs, Cobb will all be good for stock size and will all run OK on the stock tune.

When you talk about the stock sized ones, to which ones are you referring? Stage 1 SRI's? or

In short any "normal" intake is fine on stock tune... Won't really increase performance that much, but you'll get cool noises and can hear the bpv...

BUT, we suggest you buy a larger than stock intake, along with a tuning device (AP/versatune) as it unlocks extra power (and is safer, ironically), and if you decide to go bigger turbo, you don't need to buy a new intake.

Anything with a stock sized MAF housing (67mm or something like that). Whether this is just an SRI (sometimes called stage 1) or an SRI and TIP (aka stage 2) has no affect on whether it will run on stock tune or not.

What he said

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    In short any "normal" intake is fine on stock tune... Won't really increase performance that much, but you'll get cool noises and can hear the bpv...

BUT, we suggest you buy a larger than stock intake, along with a tuning device (AP/versatune) as it unlocks extra power (and is safer, ironically), and if you decide to go bigger turbo, you don't need to buy a new intake.
    Anything with a stock sized MAF housing (67mm or something like that). Whether this is just an SRI (sometimes called stage 1) or an SRI and TIP (aka stage 2) has no affect on whether it will run on stock tune or not.
    I just wasn't sure if it was worth getting a bigger intake until i had at least obtained a bigger dump pipe and was ready to fit it ?

Admittedly, I do miss having a spool/bpv sound at the moment.

8. Default

How does this work with the AP, all of the cookie cutter maps seem to be made with the SRI in mind? i.e. Do you need someone to do a custom tune for the larger intake?

Honestly, it's a pretty simple case copy paste a different calibration...
    If you can copy/paste in excel and copy files to a USB stick, you can do a basic MAF calibration for an OTS map

Can get good power from these cars with bigger intake, race/test pipe which removes second cat, a hpfp and either e85 or meth...
    Obviously a tune ties it all together...

I picked up good flow with a 3" and only a racepipe (stock dp). Really helps the stock turbo breath up top. I went small aftermarket intake first and then upgraded, wish I had just gone 3" from the start and saved some $ - that's why I suggest it to everybody.

Yeah, maf cal is easy. You can just measure new intake diameter/stock intake diameter, and apply that as a correction to your whole curve (super easy to do in ATR).

11. Default

Honestly, it's a pretty simple case copy paste a different calibration...
    If you can copy/paste in excel and copy files to a USB stick, you can do a basic MAF calibration for an OTS map
    Ok so the modification of AP maps are relatively straight forward / there are resources on here to learn how to do such a thing?

Can get good power from these cars with bigger intake, race/test pipe which removes second cat, a hpfp and either e85 or meth...
    Obviously a tune ties it all together...
    I like the idea of minimal mods for maximum output. Would you follow the same course of mods if you were going to do a 98RON tune? I couldn't see myself running the e85 due to price/availability.

Happy with my corky 3" maf intake..

Quote Originally Posted by ImpStout View Post
    Ok so the modification of AP maps are relatively straight forward / there are resources on here to learn how to do such a thing?

I like the idea of minimal mods for maximum output. Would you follow the same course of mods if you were going to do a 98RON tune? I couldn't see myself running the e85 due to price/availability.
    Yes to both your questions
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

Go 3.5" intake straight up. Its not cheap and you have to move your ECU but at least you will never need to buy another intake. I went through 4 different setups and wasted money.

@1CMS1 did you go from 3" to 3.5? I went 3" as it was enough to max out the stock fuel system without needing to move ecu. Curious to know if you actually found it too small, or just went overkill for fun?
    Also if you have HTP, their 3" = 2.87" ID and 3.5" = 3.37" ID so they are actually a bit smaller than corksport, jbr etc which are 3" ID and you will max an HTP 3" before you do a JBR 3".
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

@1CMS1 did you go from 3" to 3.5? I went 3" as it was enough to max out the stock fuel system without needing to move ecu. Curious to know if you actually found it too small, or just went overkill for fun?
    Also if you have HTP, their 3" = 2.87" ID and 3.5" = 3.37" ID so they are actually a bit smaller than corksport, jbr etc which are 3" ID and you will max an HTP 3" before you do a JBR 3".
    Hi mate I went straight for the biggest intake I could to have maximum efficiency of the turbo without having idle issues due to the maf being so much bigger than stock. I put my ecu into the factory battery box so no need for smaller battery etc