User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 08 MPS 3 Misfiring

You reckon? Photos are different lights. No luck with the new coils in the other locations. Have new ones in now, Mazda said they were ok but not sure I can trust that! 2 Logs, with two brand new coils in 2 different locations.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. Default

Hi mate, just read through this and my mate with a 06 MPS had the exact same problem. After changing almost everything like it sounds you have, it ended up being damaged wiring to one of the coil packs. It wasn't visible from the outside, he had to peel back the plastic sheath. Hope this is of some help!
    Last edited by adz35; 09-07-2015 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Spelling

Cheers adz, any way to check the connectors with a multimeter/test light?

So far I have
    Changed plugs
    Changed 2 coil packs in each locations.
    Cleaned maf sensor
    Cleaned map sensor.

Could do a better check of grounds/wiring, and possibly boost/vac leaks?

Does anyone know if it looks like a leak from the logs?

Could it actually be an injector? Are injector cleaner petrol additives any help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely sporadically lean (you'll see it fluctuating between the 11s and 12s). Boost leak test is always a good idea and easy.

Injectors themselves rarely fail, but the seals do. Symptoms are jerking under boost (I think like what you have) and kr (which you don't seem to). You might also see gunk around them if they have failed badly.

You can check at least 2 of the grounds easily (think there are others though): one near the drivers side mount going to the alt and another at the HPFP.
    PS, be careful going WOT when the car isn't fully warm.
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

Default 08 MPS 3 Misfiring

Cheers, for the advice, yes I wouldn't even usually go wot, guess just a combination of frustration and trying to get data!

Ps does anyone have any luck just using a bike pump or cigarette lighter air compressor or are volumes too small for boost test. Can't seem to pressurise th system with these

Would take forever. You can get cheap 12v pumps from repco etc that will do it in 10 seconds, or you could even use a tyre pump at a servo! Lol
    Just build an attachment out of an old boost tube or something and a pvc end cap with Schrader valve in it.

12v like cigarette lighter one? That's what I've been trying, have been including the intake side though which is not ideal probably. Need to make the effort to take off the tip and pressure test the boost side only.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mine attaches straight to the battery rather than the 12v circuit, but as long as its got enough grunt to pump up a car tyre any kind should be fine for boost leak. I just take off the turbo>ic pipe and attach the tester to the ic. That way it tests everything that normally hold boost, including the BOV.

Hi Guys,

Anyone make anything of this dyno run and recommendations? Seems like alot of those checks could have easily been done via accessport. Dyno run is the crappy looking one with 14 AFRs. When I log though its not that lean. Dyno run is with corksport stage 2 map and stock plugs.

I have injector seals ready to go but just holding out before I do them.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Anyone think this could be the issue? Condition of ground wire for coils looks a little dodgy at the crimp

Is the wire actually frayed, or just the shielding? Did you manage to check for boost/vac leaks?

When you log with the AP, what do your WOT AFRs look like? Maybe either you or the shop have a bad O2 sensor. I'd be super nervous if you are really getting 14 AFRs.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Default 08 MPS 3 Misfiring

The wire was fine, it extends all the way to the solder.

Have had the car back for 3 days from Mazda and it seems fixed (don't want to jinx it!). Dirty and blocked injectors appears to be the culprit, have put in Cpe injector seals and they cleaned intake valves etc as well.

So seems sorted after all that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CHMPS; 16-09-2015 at 08:16 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12