User Tag List

Thread: Tyre recommendations for 3MPS

1. Question Tyre recommendations for 3MPS

So, I'm due for tyres on my Gen I MPS 3.

Just bought a set of RX8 wheels that I'm going to paint up, and need a new set of tyres to suit. Looking at going to a 235/40/r18 for a little extra width. I have stock suspension, and I won't be changing it, so I think these will fit OK without rubbing.

I think I have Khumos of some description on at the moment from the PO, and they have been pretty good, I spose. Don't have anything to compare them with though.

On my last car, I had Continental MC5's, and they were quite good. Got loads of life out of them, and grip levels were pretty good. Not too noisy either.

Also been looking at the Michelin Pilot Sport 3's, which seem to be very good, but wear out a bit faster, from what I've read.

Can anyone give any advice here? I'm leaning to the Continentals, because I know they were good on the last car, and Jax are doing a buy 3, get the fourth free deal, so they'll be nice and cheap. But if the wear on the PS3's is decent, I might go to those instead...

Thanks!

Ps3 have a 300 tread wear rating...
    Think they'll last a while with proper alignment
    I have PSS's, and they're pretty good!

Can't comment on the mc5's... Never used them...

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Ps3 have a 300 tread wear rating...
    Think they'll last a while with proper alignment
    I have PSS's, and they're pretty good!

Can't comment on the mc5's... Never used them...
    Thanks for the input. The MC5's have a 340 tread wear rating, so they win in that regard, if nothing else, haha.

Was talking to a mate at work, and he rates the PS3's as well. It's going to cost me an extra $200ish for a set of four PS3's though...

EDIT: Jax/Michelin will have a $100 cash back deal going on, so it's only an extra $131 for the PS3's
    Last edited by Grelk; 25-05-2015 at 11:07 AM.

Potenza RE003's.

Brilliant tyre.

Mate had PS3's and swore by the 003's when he got them. Was good enough for me, and I've loved them ever since.

An even better bonus when you get them on a 4 for 3 Bridgestone sale ;-)

I'm currently running PS3's on mine. Night and day comparing when I was running Sumitomos. Close to 50,000kms on them and I think there's still at least around 10,000kms to go on them. Love them - I'll only go from these to pilot supersports, or else I'll stick with the same as they give me a lot of confidence in the wet

Don't forget to check out the tyre review page here too

6. Default

FWIW, I went with what I knew, the MC5's, in a 235/40/R18. So far, so good. Loads of clearance with the RX8 wheels as well, which is nice.

I'll see how these go, might replace them with PS3's next time.

I'll put a review up in the Tyre thread once I've had them on for a little while.