User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Corksport Turbo...

Default Corksport Turbo...

Who is buying the new bolt on corksport turbo? I am very interested as this is my next upgrade (whilst the dollar does blow atm), but I need a tester first as I never buy first gen products (bugs need to be identified and changed). Too much mucking around if there is a problem to take it off, refit factory k04, re-tune, send back to America, swap etc, send back, refit, retune etc etc.

Anyone already lined up a purchase or have you all gone GTX and BNR already lol

Anyone also thing this stock block would hold up to these kinda boost levels? I was thinking, purchase this and run a not too aggressive tune on it...perhaps pull 380-400 and leave it.

Quote Originally Posted by nas711 View Post
    Anyone also thing this stock block would hold up to these kinda boost levels? I was thinking, purchase this and run a not too aggressive tune on it...perhaps pull 380-400 and leave it.
    Easily take it on stock block...
    As long as you're only looking at high 300's in HP...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Yeah not looking for a 450hp rev limit banger, rather a cheap but well made replacement for the k04 with perks (perhaps 50 or so hp more than I have atm to get moneys worth). Not sure though, as i'm sure running this not at its full pressure might have significant turbo lag compared to super quick k04. I love the violent spool of the k04, its a shit load of fun compared to the laggy big turbo cars ive driven. I am a fan of BNR stage 3 also, but if feel corksport may have the edge...

it's effectively a BNR S3, just with more HP potential...

...and drop in simplicity. I'd be waiting to see if there are any imploding turbines, jamming wastegates or exploding feed lines before buying though...

Yeah I was thinking that...ill save for it (plus shipping) and get it around 3rd quarter of year if no reported problems. I am only worried about the spool. Any one with BNR S3 ...how is the spool compared to the k04? I am talking people with stocko blocks to and a mild tune (not 400+hp rod destroyers)

Yeah I emailed BNR and they said the S3 was only for 360hp gain. I thought it was more...

Bnr s3 can and will make 400whp...
    They usually spool to 20psi in the 3200-3300 range, which is about 400rpm later than a k04... Likely see little to no difference above 3500rpm

That extra delay in spool should also help prevent the stock block from going VTA. I imagine the s3 spools quickly above 3500rpm, so you still get good throttle response?

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    That extra delay in spool should also help prevent the stock block from going VTA. I imagine the s3 spools quickly above 3500rpm, so you still get good throttle response?
    I hope so....That might actually be good thing though, a lag in spool. I find on my car and I am sure its on others with an agro tune, that 1st gear is very angry and is pretty much useless under WOT conditions.
    2010 Gen 2 - "SPOOOL" (VIC) - Fully bolted

CORKSPORT TURBO | COBB AP3 | COBB DOWNPIPE | COBB REM | AUTOTECH HPFP | CORK SPORT 3" PS MAF INTAKE | COBB SF AB | CPE TMIC | CPE HEADERS | COBB 3 PORT EBCS | 3 BAR MAP| PEDDERS COILOVERS | DBA T4 SLOTTED ROTORS | CORKSPORT EYELIDS| FORGE V1 BPV| | MAGNAFLOW CUSTOM | VELOCITY RED | PEARL 2PAC STOCK RIMS | DUAL TUNED BY HPF ON E30

Some information for corksport :

Hello Paul,

Thank you for your message. We have 4 of the beta testers and our own shop car running on stock blocks with the turbos. You will be fine with the stock block with a good tune. 350-380 is well within the range of what the turbo will handle. It Is close to the maximum of the stock injectors though.

We have one of the beta testers who is running it with a stock downpipe as we wanted to see a worst case of lag and he is reporting ~300 rpm later spool up. With a downpipe it is a little less.

We have been beating on our shop car for a while now and the engine is still in great shape, You should not have any problems.

Thanks

CORKSPORT TURBO | COBB AP3 | COBB DOWNPIPE | COBB REM | AUTOTECH HPFP | CORK SPORT 3" PS MAF INTAKE | COBB SF AB | CPE TMIC | CPE HEADERS | COBB 3 PORT EBCS | 3 BAR MAP| PEDDERS COILOVERS | DBA T4 SLOTTED ROTORS | CORKSPORT EYELIDS| FORGE V1 BPV| | MAGNAFLOW CUSTOM | VELOCITY RED | PEARL 2PAC STOCK RIMS | DUAL TUNED BY HPF ON E30

Raider is the tester with stock DP. He posted up a review on MSF a few hours ago if you want to have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    Raider is the tester with stock DP. He posted up a review on MSF a few hours ago if you want to have a look.
    Thanks for this. Took my car in for a dyno tonight (just a power run) to see if exhaust effected it. Couldn't complete run since my turbo is overboosting and has boost cut out at 21.8psi (it must be over the boost targets for the map). I put it down to the forge BPV as I noticed after installing it, it ran boost a few psi higher. Nothing to worry about tuner said, just needs a few tweaks to bring it back down to compensate with more efficient BPV. However, I just dropped on the new corksport turbo, so will putt putt it around whilst this bad boy is coming in the mail. Gotta tune it anyway for new turbo, so why not do two birds etc etc. Thoughts?

Another question.... Getting corksport turbo on very soon, any recommendations for keeping it reliable as its my DD? I am thinking 310hp at the wheels is a nice upgrade and should keep it reliable?

Is it possible to keep the turbo from spooling as quick as the k04 down low (tune?), to stop torque stress to block? My k04 starts spooling at around 2.3 atm, but I don't give it a thump until over 3K. Best range for turbo to spool to keep block happy? I am actually happy with a later spooling turbo as I find it just munches tires in this current configuration....

Thanks

Keep it around 325ftlb (450NM) maximum torque carry it through to 6500rpm and you'll have ~350-360whp
    The torque figure matters more than power...

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Keep it around 325ftlb (450NM) maximum torque carry it through to 6500rpm and you'll have ~350-360whp
    The torque figure matters more than power...
    350-360 sounds a bit of cheeky rod snappery on stocko block lol. According to my dyno graph on my current tune, I already have just under 450nm (448) already and kw wise I am pushing 213wkw (285hp). So how does that work then? How can I keep max torque at what I have already on a bigger turbo, but boost hp? Not sure how this all works, but I want to sit down with my tuner and give him perameters to follow. I don't want them just going balls out and pushing the turbos limits. I want to keep my car running for as long as possible, safely, but a bit of a perk over the k04. If this makes sense...

How do you maximise HP...but keep a lid on torque?
    Last edited by nas711; 25-05-2015 at 09:30 PM.

I can't find my latest tune, but this was my second last tune before my cpe tmic (they squeezed a bit more out after). Look at torque vs hp in reference to your statement.....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150525_21_40_33_Pro (Large).jpg 
Views:	541 
Size:	447.8 KB 
ID:	17396

Just remember, HP is just torque x rpm
    (Not quite that simple, but that's effectively how it works)
    So, 400NM at 6000rpm has 50% more power than 400NM at 4000rpm

Ok fair enough, makes sense some what. Is there a way to tune to let the torque come on a bit later? I am thinking more for corksport turbo so I don't get as much wheelspin as I do at the moment. Ie, boost comes on about 3K like a freight train lol. Nicer to wheels, nicer to block.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast