User Tag List

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Corksport Turbo...

The maf can only read so much (uses voltage) so if you max it you would theoretically go very lean (more air than ecu thinks) and engine goes pop pop. Hence Mazda have a maf cut that cuts ignition (or whatever) to keep the rods chilling in the block.
    Its pretty easy to just tune up to 4.75 volts or something (do it in winter) and then retune later if you upgrade and want more powah.

Obviously tuner would see maf cut quite easily if happened?

Id bloody well hope so. Ha ha. I think (I have no experience though so take it for what its worth ) its quite violent and you would sure know about it. Your tuner should know what to look for and know how the maf works, what its peak voltage is, where it is accurate too (eg peak I think is 5v but it might become sketchy at 4.8v) etc. That what you pay them for.

Eh should be right running my low target...

MAF cut is just as violent as boost cut from all reports...
    I THINK the stock sized one is good for about 330-340whp... I've never tried to Max it out... But it's a lot less accurate at high air flow levels as the voltage from the MAF sensor won't change much for large(ish) airflow differences...

Thanks for that. I am aiming to keep it below 330hp anyway until I get my 3" CS intake I have recently ordered. It looked to be an ok choice for the gen 2 and was on special.

I am now curious about the restrictions of the COBB TIH. I know this won't case any problems as in false readings or overboosting etc like the other sensor taped areas (MAP/MAF), however is the stock sized (not stock unit) TIH like a COBB or CS really that restricting? Don't you love when you buy stuff that is now inadequate haha. Not sure if I want to or should really bother dropping more cash for a 3" TIH as well! Maybe down the track....

I am going to get the CS turbo put on with my current intake etc and see how it performs and in my holidays in 3 weeks, the 3" CS intake should have arrived and ill get that put on and retuned. I will miss my COBB intake and its very tidy engine bay look and great heat shielding...

Happy long weekend!
    2010 Gen 2 - "SPOOOL" (VIC) - Fully bolted

CORKSPORT TURBO | COBB AP3 | COBB DOWNPIPE | COBB REM | AUTOTECH HPFP | CORK SPORT 3" PS MAF INTAKE | COBB SF AB | CPE TMIC | CPE HEADERS | COBB 3 PORT EBCS | 3 BAR MAP| PEDDERS COILOVERS | DBA T4 SLOTTED ROTORS | CORKSPORT EYELIDS| FORGE V1 BPV| | MAGNAFLOW CUSTOM | VELOCITY RED | PEARL 2PAC STOCK RIMS | DUAL TUNED BY HPF ON E30

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    MAF cut is just as violent as boost cut from all reports...
    I THINK the stock sized one is good for about 330-340whp... I've never tried to Max it out... But it's a lot less accurate at high air flow levels as the voltage from the MAF sensor won't change much for large(ish) airflow differences...
    Were you only using a stock sized TIH with your big turbo build? What brand?

CORKSPORT TURBO | COBB AP3 | COBB DOWNPIPE | COBB REM | AUTOTECH HPFP | CORK SPORT 3" PS MAF INTAKE | COBB SF AB | CPE TMIC | CPE HEADERS | COBB 3 PORT EBCS | 3 BAR MAP| PEDDERS COILOVERS | DBA T4 SLOTTED ROTORS | CORKSPORT EYELIDS| FORGE V1 BPV| | MAGNAFLOW CUSTOM | VELOCITY RED | PEARL 2PAC STOCK RIMS | DUAL TUNED BY HPF ON E30

Doesn't the cs 3" sri come with a 3" tip? I thought it was a full intake filter to turbo...

A stock sized TIH would probably be a little restrictive in terms of flow (fluid dynamics and all that...)

And yeah, this is why I always suggest people go larger metal intakes, I'm on my 3rd aftermarket one now

Had a CPE 4" inlet intake as the 3071 has a 4" inlet rather than a stock sized one...

Ok i'm ****ing confused now haha.

I ordered this!

CorkSport Power Series 2007-2013 Mazdaspeed 3 MAF 3" Intake ...looks like it does have the 3" TIH. What's the difference with the COBB set up them? Is it like a two piece order? I ordered the COBB SRI and TIH seperately.......Lol no wonder im so confused haha.

Is this an all in one unlike the COBB?

You are good! That is a full intake, filter to turbo (i.e. it replaces all your Cobb stuff) not that separate sri+tip profiteering bs. Ha ha
    Last edited by Lachlan; 06-06-2015 at 12:50 PM.

Also, if you want to keep the cobb stealthy look, have a play with your cobb airbox, you might be able to get them to play nice together. I have my jbr 3" in my old corksport airbox and it fits with a little assistance from a dremel.

Edit: if you are strapped for cash, you could also look into the 2xs 3" intakes which are local (Brisbane) so might be cheaper as aus$ and shipping.
    Last edited by Lachlan; 06-06-2015 at 01:01 PM.

Already ordered the full kit so all good. I was just annoyed as I though needed to buy separate tih. Now I know!

I will definitely see if I can salvage my SF airbox, to at least get some money out of my COBB gear already. Shame COBB did make it a bit bigger, their quality is great.
    Last edited by nas711; 06-06-2015 at 03:59 PM.

Did a 3rd get WOT till redline... Maf 4.19v. Bit of headroom right?

Yup, but that cs turbo should flow a lot more air than the k04 so I would expect that to rise. You can always do a before and after and provide some more useful info

Quote Originally Posted by nas711 View Post
    Did a 3rd get WOT till redline... Maf 4.19v. Bit of headroom right?
    that's a really low amount of airflow for your mods and MAF...
    my HTP 3" flow 4.3v at redline...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    that's a really low amount of airflow for your mods and MAF...
    my HTP 3" flow 4.3v at redline...
    Ok did a 4th gear one, learnt that my boost targets have been adjusted at high rpms and high gear (didn't hit redline as I crapped my pants at about 160km on my dodgy roads). Hit 20.5psi ( I thought my max was now 19). 4.39v MAF

...I did get them to tune it like this i suppose lol, seems to have worked. I was saying to a mate that they took a lot of the bottom end out of the car and looks like I got what I asked for. I said "keep max boost and torque till up high" ....but the thing is like you, I never go over 4.5K really.

Car is still useless at a stand still race lol. Mates bone stock liberty gt smoked me as I sat their scratching my balls spinning in first 3 gears on a set of new tires haha. Doesn't matter, caught up to him and annihilated ... LOSER FLYBY
    Last edited by nas711; 07-06-2015 at 09:05 AM.

Ha ha, that FWD fun. Lol Hopefully even faster flybys on big turbo, but I see semi-slick tyres in your future. Ha ha
    Just had a look at my old tune, and I was hitting 4.45v on a stock sized maf, so 4.39 sounds more like it.
    There is no 'max boost', it doesn't exist. If you are over boosting, its either a hardware issue or because your tune is crappy/not complete and not controlling boost properly.

Yeah I understand. I was more putting it like my highest number that the AP has displayed. That saying, I don't ever do WOT to redline in any gear unless its wheelspin lol.

Well I have taken steps for overboost now. Tuned in winter, running a guardian angel, bigger MAP and 3port controller....baby steps lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    Ha ha, that FWD fun. Lol Hopefully even faster flybys on big turbo, but I see semi-slick tyres in your future. Ha ha
    Just had a look at my old tune, and I was hitting 4.45v on a stock sized maf, so 4.39 sounds more like it.
    There is no 'max boost', it doesn't exist. If you are over boosting, its either a hardware issue or because your tune is crappy/not complete and not controlling boost properly.
    Did a bit of a Dyno mockup to give to my tuner so he can see my idea. Based it on some random dyno of a speed 3 on a 350hp garrett type turbo (closes I could find). Couldn't find a blank dyno graph anywhere on the net either with numberings or would have gone full retard.

What do you reckon of the curve? Feedback welcome

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150608_20_57_12_Pro.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	17447

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast