Gents,

Having some problems with my rear diff, posted on MSF with no reply as yet. Remembered my password here so her is my copy and paste.

I had plans on getting a Cobb AP and investigating if the HPFP has been upgraded. These plans have been side tracked by a few issues. The right rear axle/ driveshaft started to leak diff oil at the diff. I pulled the axle and replaced the seals, fitted up and went for a drive to test everything out. On inspection, it look like both rear axles are leaking at the diff.Looked over the diff to discover the breather is stuck shut, causing my leaks I believe.

In reading I have come across the problem of the rear diff mounts. I had a look, the rear mount looks to be almost new. The presence of sealant on the diff leads me to think that someone has been here before me. I then had a look and feel of the front rear diff mount. The rear side bolt was loose so I tightened as per listed torque settings. when I went to the front side mount bolt it just turned in place, thought it must be sheared. Removed exhaust for a better look. I could feel that the front rear diff mount bolt has broken through the diff casing.

Feeling bloody frustrated, I know I have to drop the diff, any help or advice on how to do this correctly is most welcome.

How to fix this ?? One idea is to clamp the diff to my mill table and mill the broken casing flat. Then look at using Devcon to build up the busted bolt housing, then drill and tap. I will be looking at upgrading my rear diff mounts to quality aftermarket mounts. Any recommendations on the type of front mount and rear mount?

Apologies for the long post but I am punching blind here. I do not have the TIG skills to weld up a plate or suitably shaped ali to fix this problem. I do know that the Devcon I have is used for 'cold weld' jobs and for building up busted tooling and machinery. I use the stuff to bed my rifles and it is very well suited to shaping and hardens very well and strong. I would bet that Devcon cured would actually be harder and demonstrate stronger tensile strength than the factory ali diff. Anyone know what grade ali they have used ? 6061 would be my guess.

I have spent several times under the car today to try and get a pic. Due to the shitty light and poor access I have nothing worth posting. Will have to drop the diff first for pics.

Mike