User Tag List

Thread: HPFP failure due to too much pressure?

1. Default HPFP failure due to too much pressure?

Hey guys,

End of last year I had my car break down, 2013 MPS w/ ~10k km. Fault throw was for the high pressure pump, something to do with a valve off the top of my head. It got towed off to Mazda and it got the pump replaced under warranty.

Car already had fitted a Corksport HPFP internal kit and was running up to 2000-2200psi off the AP. Since getting it back I had to rebuy a new set of internals as Corksport would not reimburse me and also I dulled the pump rates back to similar to stock, however it is still spiking to 2000psi occasionally. Bit concerned it might be on the back of a tow truck again in the near future!.

Thanks for any help.

Fark, you don't need it >1800psi, no wonder it broke!!!

The occasional spike is fine, but optimal operating region is 1600-1800psi... There's almost nothing to gain by going higher!

The relief valve, which is likely what broke, is designed to stop excessive fuel pressure and opens at 1800-1850psi
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 08-04-2015 at 07:12 AM.

3. Default

Yeah i've pulled more pressure out of it now but still seems to be jumping up. How low should i be aiming my HP at during WOT to reduce it? Would 1500-1600 still be a safe target?

Sounds like a one of fluke honestly. Many people run hpfps targeting 1750 ish (with occasional 2000 spikes) and have no problems. You can upgrade the RV to crack at a higher pressure so it's not always opening and wearing out (which is probably why it broke) but the chances of this happening again seem small.

It sounds like he was commanding 2000+ the entire time

Maybe my comprehension just sucks :s
    I assumed it was ots values (1750) spiking to 2200 and he returned it to stock (1650?) and it still spiked to 2000, so he is now targeting even less. @RotarySnail ?
    Either way, ots values are fine, particularly as the RV is now brand new. Don't target 1500!

7. Default

Yeah your correct lachlan. Originally was targetting AP max which was around the 1800 mark. Since the last issue i pulled it back and using the stock values on WOT load values

Yep, so your target would have been opening the RV constantly and it wore out like sarcastic said. At OTS values you should be fine, as most of the time it will be under the RV point. Aftermarket pumps do spike a bit, but that's what the RV is there for. If it's new and only working occasionally, you should have no problems.

9. Default

Awesome thanks for the reassurance

Might be worth replace the fuel rail relief valve as well.

11. Default

Is the RV the one on the rail or pump? Anyone have a link to an uprated one? Remember reading of it once before but can't find it again for the life of me.

Quote Originally Posted by RotarySnail View Post
    Is the RV the one on the rail or pump? Anyone have a link to an uprated one? Remember reading of it once before but can't find it again for the life of me.
    Don't get the update relief valve, they never work properly...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings