User Tag List

Thread: Anyone used Falken Azenis before?

Default Anyone used Falken Azenis before?

I am looking into a set of FD RX7 rims and some stickier tyres for the front and had a look at some Falken Azenis today, seem pretty soft for a radial, anyone had experience with the new versions, im sure they are 615's or something. I know my mate had them on his R100 and it ran 11.1 on them, but they were the older models, not sure bout the news...

Jason

I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. I’ve had the RT215 (the early model of the RT615) for a little while now and have been very happy with them. Good on the track and nice on the road. It doesn’t take long to get some heat in them and it really shines from then on.

With that said, I won’t be buying another set in the future. They are somewhat an “inbetween” tyre and inherit most of the bad points from both side but doesn’t grasp the full benefits either. You will find it wears quickly (compare to road tyres), a little bit harsh from the stiff sidewalls and when cold and wet, it can be a bit of a handful. Mind you, I’m in a RWD without traction control, things may be different in your MPS

If you’re getting a spare set of rims, I suggest going with a full R compound semi slick. I heard the Bridgestone R55 is great and 95% of people on track days use them. Have a look at the Toyo Proxes R888, I was told they were a bit on the soft side for the skylines so it may be just right for your MPS.

I've heard Jeev know his tyres, he may give you a better idea.

Im on my second set of RT615's on my MPS3. Theyre pretty good for what they are worth, i got 17000kms out of the first set of them which i thought was quite good considering i only got 13000kms out of the original crapstones. My next set of tyres will be either another set of RT615's or i may splurge for some proper semi slicks and give the new dunlop DZ03G's in a medium compound a try.

Oh and incase your wondering, yes my car gets driven hard and does a few track days.
    Last edited by BlueMPS3; 25-11-2008 at 09:40 PM.

Falken Azenis RT-615 - 225/45R18 - $360ea

I did a big spiel on them on OMC. Unfortunately I'm capped right now, so I can't go look for the review, but they're a great tyre. I suggest you go find my comments on the RT-615 on OMC, or I'll try to dig them up for you at work tomorrow. Put it this way; Out of:

Potenza 050A
    ADVAN V103
    RT-615
    Proxes4

The RT-615 has by far been the best performance orientated tyre. I haven't tried the RE001 Adrenalin yet, but I dare say it's very similar performance for a lot more money. If you're after a more track orientated tyre the Toyo R888 is probably the way to go, but it's R-spec rubber and no matter how gentle you are with them, they'll disappear in front of your eyes.

I was after something between a drag radial and a street tyre. I am leaning towards just getting a pair or MT ET streets or Hoosier drag radials but i dont want to fry my clutch just yet. Still undecided, the Falcons didnt seem real soft when i looked at them.

Are the stock Mazda 3 mags 17", SP23 ones are yeah??

Blog Entries

I love my Azenis 615s. Awesome tyre. Have done 11,000 so far, hoping to get another 2 or 3 thousand out of them, but they don't last long. Super grippy, quite a stiff sidewall, average noise, but no squeal / scream on the limit which I love.

As Jeev has said, there have been of reviews of them around on OMC and elsewhere...

I'm tossing up between going back for another set or trying something different... brilliant tyre though. Looks hot too.
    2009 VW Passat R36 - 220KW of German engineering.
    EQ - "I must admit, having driven Simons Passat, I was simply....impressed, very impressed. My flat cap and whippet, old man jokes are definalty put back in the kit bag."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by racebitz View Post
    Are the stock Mazda 3 mags 17", SP23 ones are yeah??
    Yeah, only 6.5" wide though...offset same(?) I think.