User Tag List

Thread: Second resonator delete

Default Second resonator delete

Hey,

I couldn't really find this one search so I thought I might ask here (most are removing 2nd cat and resonator) before I did the deed and regretted it! Has anyone just removed only the second resonator from the stock exhaust. I have a COBB downpipe through to stock exhaust. All I want to do is remove the little resonator after the second cat (not the second cat itself) and replace it with pipe. I am not after gains, but just a deeper sound (not droney and annoying though).

Questions : Would it sound any deeper (nicer), gurgle/pop more and would it affect my current custom tune?

Cheers

Actually now I am reading the gen 2 does not have a second resonator. Does it have something else similar that can be removed to give it a deeper growl without removing cats or full exhaust. This is the sound I am wishing to achieve, but on a gen 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ1zEllbQ-8

Cheers

3. Default

on my Gen 2 i got rid of the resonator which is about 50cm or so after the 2nd cat. More growl, not too much louder, nicer sound.

Easy enough for any exhaust shop to take out the resonator and replace with straight pipe

Yeah the problem is apparently the gen 2 doesn't have that resonator and I am not sure what the Gen 2 has instead - It must have something as mine doesn't sound like that video. Any gen 2 drivers car to shed some light on this or recommend something rather than a cat back exhaust suggestion (heard them, not really a fan and a bit loud). What can I remove on a gen 2 to give it a nice growl (not cat)?

edit : Wait I read your reply as "Gen 1" . Do you mean the gen 2 had the resonator? I keep getting information saying the gen 2 has no second resonator?? Did it affect your tune at all allo80?

Cheers

5. Default

Gen 1 has two and gen 2 just has the one resonator I'm getting mine removed as soon as my mates garage is empty

Thanks Lukeyprotege. I have a Cobb downpipe which I know has 1 of the cats, but is there another cat after the downpipe also, or does the COBB remove the second cat? If so....is it COBB downpipe then resonator then mufflers? Also, do you have a tune? I still can't tell if this will affect a custom tune or not...

Cobb dp is a 'long style', i.e. it removes both cats and replaces them with one high flow cat. So you have downpipe (with one cat)>resonator>muffler. Resonator delete won't affect a tune

Awesome, thanks heaps. Ill book this in!

Sounds lumpy as! Best 30$ spent! Gives it a beautiful wamp wamp wamp as you cruise through the rev ranges..

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by nas711 View Post
    Sounds lumpy as! Best 30$ spent! Gives it a beautiful wamp wamp wamp as you cruise through the rev ranges..
    That's good to know Friends skyline will be done next week and my car will go in for minor work. First resonator delete though