User Tag List

Thread: Home made Hands free for free (not 100% but very much functional)

Default Home made Hands free for free (not 100% but very much functional)

So

it was Sunday today...

... and i didnt drink saturday night... there fore i wasnt hungover..

unfortunatly this meant i was wide awake at 7am......

soooo my mind working away as it always does was running thru various things one of which came to mind was all this illegal to use Cell While Driving..

this in turn sparked the memory of me using my Nokia E51 with the headphones while i was driving the other day.. thile this worked well i hate wearing ear phones.... so my mind started working away some how i stumbled on

.Mazda MP3.. (I have one)
    ..Aux Input... (hmm i have one of those too)
    ...Cell phone (well duh)
    .... handsfree (kinda but not really)
    ..... Money well i didnt have alot of it this weekend... then the penny dropped..

the AUX input was a 3.5mm Stereo Jack.. which is just Line Level input...
    Headphones.. are generally the same ie line level input...

so i thought ill get a old Stereo JAck cable and splice it in some how to one of the spare sets of Nokia headphones i have.....

That way i could use the car stereo to play the sound thru... while retaining a high sensitivity mic that could be put any where and pick up my voice clearly...

so started hackingup and experiemnting.. twisting cables and using a set of computer speakers to test if i was getting sound thru..

untill whamo i woked out what wired could go where and their correct polarities..

i took apart the central microphone plastic thingy..

the PCB inside was no bigger than my thumbnail.. so out my soldering iron came.. and some steady fingers and a half a pack of dunhil blues later i had all the wires solderd up and connected perfectly.. there was like a half mm gap between each contact.. it was frustrating to say the least..

but we are functional...

I made distance between the jack plug and the Mic box thingy long enough to sit in the cutaway recess in the centre glove box lid then run the balance of cable to the phone which has its proprietary 2mm Stereo and Mic Jack...

End Result.. i just leave the phone in the recess thing next to the gear shifter as i always do but have the hands free jack plugged also...

So when a call is coming thru i hit the media button and click the answer button on my phone... i can then talk and listen very clearly and resonably safly and no have to spend 100's on a dodgey bluetooth unit that works sporadically..

When the Call is finished the phone hangs itself up like it normally does... and i just click the fm button to go back to what i was doing before

i have been using this all day and so glad i did it

Its not perfect.. but it works great.. and havent had to splice or work in to any of the factory loom etc... its removable in all of about 2 seconds..

bonus is i can play mp3 tracks off my phone too...

and TBH i think the Radio tuner on my nokia gets better quality sound and signal than my car radio.. !

Hehe.

Normally I just plug my N95 into the stereo AUX input and rest it on my lap, they seem to be able to hear me well enough, but very clever!

wen u say u plug it into the aux input.. does that mean u hear them through ur car speakers?? what do you plug it in with?

Yep..
    N95 has a normal size aux output.. other phones might have an attachment.

Male to male headphone jack, on phone pick headphones, press media on dash- thats it.

My E51 didnt have the luxury of a REgular Size 3.5mm Stereo Jack (aka Aux Port)

instead it has its own proprietary 2mm Jack that has Left Chanel Right Channel and Microphone..

as i said before i took apart the microphone unit that has the PCB in it and desoldered the headphones out (after checking polarity before)

and then re soldered in the 3.5mm Stereo Jack wiring..

Here is a similar factory Nokia head phone rig (only difference in this one and the one i cut up was the colour of the setup....

all you can see is the wire running from my Glove box to my phones ass!

the microphone basically rests in the glove box lid and is still able to register my voice loud and clear

My blue tooth stuff works great. ppl think im not using it at all and can never tell im in the car, However this really is a great idea. Not sure if i have the plug for it on my MPS6 but.

I am frustrated that even with my ipod installed into the car, that the MEDIA button does nothing at all... what the..... ? To use the ipod i press CD button twice. And to make a call i just use my phone as normal and the sound comes thru the car.

I would buy what you made..just for use of the button.. good work.
    Latool- far from normal

Im going to remake it this weekend but better

just ordered some new Soldering Iron Tips (read Finer tips)

as i stumbled across a Spare couple of pairs of identical headphones in the office..

the New one will be far better and tidier...

All i have done for the media thing is plugged it in to the AUX plug in the Center Console Glove box..

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Latool View Post
    My blue tooth stuff works great. ppl think im not using it at all and can never tell im in the car, However this really is a great idea. Not sure if i have the plug for it on my MPS6 but.

I am frustrated that even with my ipod installed into the car, that the MEDIA button does nothing at all... what the..... ? To use the ipod i press CD button twice. And to make a call i just use my phone as normal and the sound comes thru the car.

I would buy what you made..just for use of the button.. good work.
    What bluetooth system are you using...

hmmm not sure what kind it it.. came with the car when purchased from mazda on "M" day, was one of the extra's they throw in! Works a treat! And its practically invisible....