User Tag List

Thread: 1st Gear Take Off Woes

Default 1st Gear Take Off Woes

I'm having difficulty taking off in 1st gear and its definitely not down to driver error, plenty of experience with manual cars. It almost seems like the revs want to drop faster than the car wants to take off.. Is this clutch slip? Maybe rear engine/transmission side mount failing?

Anyone had a similar issue? The gears/clutch just don't feel right.

video? also excuse me if im wrong

, if the clutch was slipping wouldnt the revs stay higher but car wouldnt really " take off / move" ?

I find that there's a fine line (when launching quickly) between where the load is too great for the revs and the car will bog (what you might be getting) and where torque is too great and you spin the wheels. Have you played around with different amounts of throttle and rpm to keep it right beneath the wheel spin point?

Yeah I've tried taking off harder and testing different RPMs but it always seems to bog or alternatively jerk madly as the clutch engages. Not sure whether its just the car and what its like or whether stiffer mounts might help? Could engine torque twist on the mounts affect the takeoff?

Mounts definitely help. A RMM is definitely needed if you don't have one!
    I find you actually need to start with fairly mild throttle around 2500rpm, then ramp up the throttle the moment you get moving to avoid bogging. What happens if you launch at 3000 and then floor it? Spins the wheels, hops a bit, and rpm flies up to 6k?

I don't have the heart to launch it yet haha. Your comment about starting with more throttle is true actually, I find its better but it sort of clunks when it fully engages. I think i'll get a Trinity Mount set from JBR and do all the mounts with 70A and see if that picks up the slack.

Also just FYI mine is a 6, 4WD so don't think it'd spin up anyway.

Oh, my bad. I assumed it was a 3 with FWD problems.
    Since AWD...give it more powah!

How long have you had it for? Sounds like you just need to let the clutch slip a little more.

I bought it last Friday so not long at all, might be a case of getting used to it but I've had cars with heavy duty button clutches that are easier to drive than this! Haha

It does not sound good at all..............

On a side note, I had a skyline that popped the intercooler hose off, and made it near impossible to get it moving, so not sure if a hose or something could be super loose and stuffing it all up.

Is it fine once you get going, and its just taking off thats the issue?

They are a bit of a pain to drive compared to other manuals. Dual mass flywheel in a heavy AWD doesn't help really. I also find you need some revs to take off smoothly, but yeah engine mounts are fairly easy to check and could be an issue