User Tag List

Thread: Turbo lag / performance etc and air con

Default Turbo lag / performance etc and air con

Random question to bump a little, but any one ever dynoed with and without aircon on? I am purely interested because when I switch it on I notice the turbo lag and reduced performance. Any one have a firm kw/hp reduction on a mazda 3 mps running a/c compressor or estimates?

Also heat soak..anyone tested this to see how much the power is really affected? I have a cpe tmic and notice less lag when stop start driving than I did the stocker, but dunno real world figures. Also, does a nice cold morning/day/night affect power and if so, what kind of numbers? I haven't had my car long enough to see winter yet (vic) and have been pumped for some super cold air to hit that turbo (though 1 day last week it was 7 degrees and I think I noticed it felt more aggressive). Mine was dyno'd at 198atw on a summer day and would be interested to see if on a winters day it improved at all...

Just wondering...

Will it improve on a winters day... Probably... Depends on the tune, if it's load (airflow) or boost based, and if it's already hitting targets or not. Sadly, not a simple answer there...

Heat soak will affect performance, as it won't cool the air as effectively, so will pump less air into the engine... Also, hotter temps mean more likely to knock...

Air con, likely will sap some power, probably not a lot, but some...

Get an AP, take some logs, pump into Virtual Dyno and see the differences - on bum dyno would be hard to tell sometimes. On stock tune ambient temps wont make too much difference, due to ECU targeting load.

Edit - beaten by Sarcastic One

When going WOT the aircon turns it self off, that's on a GEN2 and the owners manual even states that it will turn off under high load.
    Heat soak..i have logged mine when it had TMIC on, the heatsoaked log ran around 4 degrees less timing than nomal and richened the AFRS to around 10:8 wot compared to it usually running 11:6

Eaxact same tune when on a boost tunr increased by around 12kw at the wheels in cold weather compared to when it was tuned in summer.
    Last edited by shaneski; 04-03-2015 at 08:19 PM.

Cheers for the information. Might retune this winter just to see. I definitely notice a nice torque gain on a crispy vic morning. Air con doesnt seem to reduce power as such, but it more a noticable lag to get to turbo spool...