User Tag List

Thread: Front suspension knocking...

1. Default Front suspension knocking...

Gen 1 MPS3...I've had this clunky sound from the front left and right suspension, at lower speeds over uneven terrain, since soon after I bought the car 2nd hand. It was minor, and I thought probably what all Mazda3's do. After a year, my mechanic noticed and thought it was the sway-bar drop links, but that it was not urgent.
    So I ordered some online very cheap, from England, and in the weeks before the next service the clunking sound over uneven terrain at lower speeds seemed to disappear, so I thought it must be wear getting worse, and I got him to replace the drop-links. Hey presto, the clunking sound is back! I told him and he put the car up on a hoist with suspension loaded up, and could find no movement or play in the front end, pointing him to the front strut top bearing. He said it's a big job, obviously, dropping everything to replace the struts.
    Is there a better way than renewing the struts, and what are the options?
    Cheers!

Sway bar bushings are a common one and a good first check.

Strut bearings also die easily, and most who replace their suspension find that they fall apart when you take them out. From memory, you should be able to check for play in the bearings as the wheel turns. You can always use it as an excuse to spend some cash upgrading to better suspension.

As above.
    1st, change sway bar bushes. $30 or sir, half hour labour, just do it, by now they would need replacing anyway.
    2nd, if your going to the effort of changing the strut tops, you may aswell change the shocks too. Unless they have already been changed, they are probably dead, or will be soon.
    Sure, it will be expensive, but it's cheaper than doing the job twice (if you are paying a mechanic)

I had a similar clunking. I end up finding a bit of a tear in the control arm bushes, so I just went all out and replaced both front control arms as well as the front sway bar bushes. No more clunking

Mine always seemed to be control arm bushes

6. Default

Yep, I changed sway bar bushes and no more knocking

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    Sway bar bushings are a common one and a good first check.

Strut bearings also die easily, and most who replace their suspension find that they fall apart when you take them out. From memory, you should be able to check for play in the bearings as the wheel turns. You can always use it as an excuse to spend some cash upgrading to better suspension.
    After owning a few boring cars including an '03 Camry and a '13 Corolla I decided to go through the phase and get myself a turbo car. I chose the Gen 1 Mazda 3 MPS.
    I had the same knocking at the front and rear over uneaven surfaces. After looking around it seemed to be a common problem. I took your advice and bought some new sway (D bush) bar bushings from Mazda. I bought all four for $72 from Rockdale mazda. They originally wanted around $24 each and managed to get the lot for $72. My dad's mate helped me fit them. The rear was easy and finished in 10 mins. The front nuts were difficult to get to and took an hour. Easy job just hard to get to the nuts at the front. Rides like a dream and most importantly no knocking sound!!

And am loving the new car!

Cheers for the help mate.
    Last edited by Reda07; 06-06-2015 at 12:16 PM.

sweet