User Tag List

Thread: Damond Motorsports PMM and RMM Review

Default Damond Motorsports PMM and RMM Review

Prior to install my mount setup was stock transmission and leaking stock drivers side mount (or PMM in US speak) and a Torque Solutions RMM (8000km old).
    I am planning to do this R/V in a few stages;
    1- Initial PMM impressions 7/2/15
    2- Initial RMM impressions
    3- Long-term PMM and RMM

1- I had the chance to install the DM PMM and have had a couple days driving with it, done about 60-70kms. A reminder that my stock PMM basically burst and bushing oil was everywhere in engine bay.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150117_131346.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	17183Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150117_131400.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	623.6 KB 
ID:	17184

My initial impressions on start up of the car was the immediate increase in 'race car feels'. The increased sound is immediately noticeable, you can hear the ticking, 'thrum' of the engine, and throb of exhaust alot more.

Cold start vibrations rattled everything particularly the steering wheel, accelerator pedal, drivers side mirror and rearview mirror. Probably the most noticeable is the accelerator pedal- worse with engine braking.

My car's resting idle is at 900rpm and as the car settles towards that, the NVH improves - very close to stock feel, even with a/c on.

1st gear slow start car vibes hard at about 1500rpm but lessens with higher revs. 2nd gear is similar. 3rd gear tends to vibe most around 2500 rpm with light throttle.

On firm pedal application theres still alot of the noise being transferred into the cabin but I was suprised that there was less vibration/rattles.

A few small rattles have appeared in drivers side dash area and the passenger sun visor.

Im hoping once the PMM gets broken in a bit more then the NVH with light throttle application will improve. I did come from a leaking PMM so perhaps the increase in NVH was much more obvious for me.

Positives:
    - Engine feels planted and solid
    - improved shifter feel
    - easier to rev match with downshift
    - 1st gear not so lurchy
    - improved traction and reduced wheel hop
    - can induce wheelspin in 2nd easier
    - warm idle (even with a/c on) feels close to stock

Negatives:
    - increased NVH
    - constant drone in 4th @ 60km/h, switching to 5th settles it a little
    - harsh vibes with cold start and engine braking
    - harsh rattles drivers side mirror

Name:	20150205_111944.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	1,021.0 KB 
ID:	17185Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150205_111953.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	772.0 KB 
ID:	17186Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150207_142344.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	17187
    2009 Aluminium Gen II MPS Luxury
    COBB AP v3 FREEKTUNED | HTP 3" Intake | AT HPFP Internals | DM RMM | DM PMM | Koni FSD | TS Kompact BPV | CS FTSB | JBR SSP | JBR SSB | RA Mudflaps
    Pending:

Subbed for long term pmm review

2500rpm was the "bad zone" when I was fully mounted with jbr's...

subbed looks like a good piece of kit

It is certainly beautifully crafted! Kudos to Damond Motorsports.

I think the vibes are starting to settle a bit. Cold starts are still quite harsh vibes and noise but in gear vibes are starting to lessen. Either that or I'm getting used to it.

Drivers side mirror, steering wheel and pedals still all vibe quite harshly.

2- I installed the DM RMM last week and have driven about 150km on it. On inspection the bushing of my 1yr old Torque Solutions 75a duro RMM had already developed some minor warping, and was lifting up on one side.

These are my initial impressions of the DM RMM:

Increased NVH on cold start over my Torq RMM. Settles reasonably well when approaching my car's resting idle 900rpm.

Vibed quite harshly with low RPM acceleration from roughly 1250-2000 rpm, even worse with light throttle application. The worse gear being 2nd gear acceleration within this range, this became quite draining when stuck in slow, congested traffic and/or slowly accelerating up a hill...

Passengers were complaining on Day 1 post-install cause of the harsh vibes and noise that seemed to resonate and echo in the cabin like sitting inside a subwoofer (worse with windows all up).

Increased vibes thru driver's side mirror, accelerator and brake pedals, steering wheel, gear shifter knob, and rear-view mirror.
    The rear-view mirror vibes so hard within the mentioned rpm you can't even tell what car is behind you - only the colour.

New rattles have been found in the centre console and mid-dash areas.

On firm throttle application the engine feels much more planted and secure in comparison to the Torq RMM.

It has also improved the notorious 2nd gear lock-out symptoms, and shifting in higher RPM can be done with increased confidence.

At cruising speed 60km/h the NVH is quite close to my Torq RMM and slight drone, although there is excessive, rattling drone when doing 65-70km/h in 4th - once again shifting to 5th helps a little.

Good news is that over the week, the RMM has settled in really well. NVH has reduced since install but 2nd gear is still getting some vibes. Drone has reduced alot at cruising speeds. Cold starts are still very loud with associated vibes too.

PMM also settling in well. 1st and 3rd gear vibes settled really well prior to install of RMM.

Positives:

- Engine feels more solid and planted
    - Increased positive shifter feel
    - Reduced squat and wheel hop
    - improved traction
    - warm idle very tolerable NVH (even with a/c on)
    - neglible increase in NVH at higher rpm

Negatives:
    - harsh vibes and noise on cold starts
    - drones at cruising speed (60km/h in 4th)
    - vibes harshly at low rpm acceleration (especially in 2nd gear)
    - rear-view mirror vibrations

Name:	20150227_192105.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	706.6 KB 
ID:	17255

PS. Stay tuned for the long-term review of both!
    2009 Aluminium Gen II MPS Luxury
    COBB AP v3 FREEKTUNED | HTP 3" Intake | AT HPFP Internals | DM RMM | DM PMM | Koni FSD | TS Kompact BPV | CS FTSB | JBR SSP | JBR SSB | RA Mudflaps
    Pending: