· Eliminate wheel hoop
    · Increased traction
    How do they work?
    http://www.mpsgarage.com.au/shop/pro...tion-bars.html

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post

How do they work?
    ^^x2

anyone know?? im clueless with this

On old cars with big HP and leaf sprung rear ends (which don't have a multi link axles, i.e. the rear axle was only attached via the spring mounts and the drive shaft), traction bars stop the axle from rotating there by increasing traction and keep the axle where it should be.

is there any downside to traction bars being fitted to the car ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rooballer View Post
    On old cars with big HP and leaf sprung rear ends (which don't have a multi link axles, i.e. the rear axle was only attached via the spring mounts and the drive shaft), traction bars stop the axle from rotating there by increasing traction and keep the axle where it should be.
    So how does "this" help a FF car?
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rooballer View Post
    This would be a "live axle", yes? The axle begins to orbit around the axis of rotation. Think of a spinning top wobbling.

I imagine since the product is advertising that it doesn't restrict suspension travel and doesn't bind sounds to me that there usually is serious downsides.

I would read from that that there might be suspension component wear concerns.

I would imagine that it restricts suspension movement in a particular way that it reduces wheel hop. That suggests to me that the wheels can get an orbital motion going during wheel hop (as opposed to simply bouncing) and that this prevents the orbital motion, with the forces being redirected elsewhere (hence some theoretical loading related wear). If the wheels don't get an orbital motion going, I don't see how something like this could help?

A 3D suspension model would be handy at times like these....I don't really see how the wheels could get an orbital motion up.
    Last edited by Nexus; 21-06-2009 at 02:11 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Got it sussed I think

Traction bar locks the toe in place, and disallows some or all of the flex in the suspension due to mushy bushings etc. I think that's right...

Upside is that this can reduce hop but only restrict hop that is due to the suspension give.

The hop is created because the elastic give in the suspension is converted to an upward motion - the orbital motion of the axle is only within the limits of elasticity, and the energy is converted into a bouncing tyre.

If your tyres are the greater part of your hop, it can remove some or all hop due to suspension flex, but none that is due to the tyre, I expect.

It can help by locking the toe to a fixed setting - some of the suspension flex is intentional and beneficial for stability....

Is a strictly fixed toe setting desirable, and how much would it assist?
    Last edited by Nexus; 21-06-2009 at 10:32 PM. Reason: correction

I have front control arm bushes fitted (details in another thread) and this has eliminated all my wheel hop, but, only helps traction a little. They have been set for anti-lift rather than more castor.

I would like to see what else I can achieve from my car before I have to get slicks.

10. Default

Only benefit I can see from these is that they keep the a-arm from moving(flexing) back a liitle. I asked about these when they came out and here is what I asked.
    "So a round tube with 2 joints that follows the normal suspension up and down hooked to the a-arm and unibody improves traction how?????????????" here is the answer I got! "nothing"

I asked right on the thread where he was selling them.

Here is another picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    This would be a "live axle", yes? The axle begins to orbit around the axis of rotation. Think of a spinning top wobbling.

I imagine since the product is advertising that it doesn't restrict suspension travel and doesn't bind sounds to me that there usually is serious downsides.

I would read from that that there might be suspension component wear concerns.

I would imagine that it restricts suspension movement in a particular way that it reduces wheel hop. That suggests to me that the wheels can get an orbital motion going during wheel hop (as opposed to simply bouncing) and that this prevents the orbital motion, with the forces being redirected elsewhere (hence some theoretical loading related wear). If the wheels don't get an orbital motion going, I don't see how something like this could help?

A 3D suspension model would be handy at times like these....I don't really see how the wheels could get an orbital motion up.
    Slightly off topic, but to answer your question about leaf sprung axles, traction bars were used to limit rotation about the axle, not rotation about the drive shaft. ie to limit the torque reaction twisting the leaf spring from its normal crescent shape into an S shape.

Gone to Volvo

If there were no downsides to these, why would they not be integrated as standard?? There has to be some form of trade-off..

Cost maybe?

Probably the same reason they used leaf springs.