User Tag List

Thread: Optimum Tyre Pressures For Track Work? (Street tyres)

Default Optimum Tyre Pressures For Track Work? (Street tyres)

Calling all MPS owners with circuit experience! I知 taking the car to Wakefield next Monday and looking for some information on optimum tyre pressures.

What (hot) pressure are you guys aiming for? And what does that equate to cold roughly?

I know there's a few variables (ambient temp, track temp, etc) but these are reasonably heavy cars and will generate decent heat in the tyres, so I知 assuming there will be a decent pressure differential between cold and hot? Also, how significant is the difference front to rear? I assume fronts should start at a lower pressure?

As far as I知 aware, the general principle is to run street tyres at a higher pressure than semi痴 because they have a softer sidewall than semi痴. I am guessing I知 aiming for 40ish psi hot?

I知 planning on measuring pressures before and after each session, so this is just to get a baseline...

Depends on what tyres you're using specifically.

With AD08's I aim for 32-34PSI HOT which equates to about 27 cold.

With street tyres you generally want about 40PSI when warm, also note that the fronts will get way hotter than the rears.

Ok cool, so you’re getting a 5-7 degree increase with temperature, which I am guessing will be slightly more with my road tyres.
    I’ll be running Potenza RE002’s on the front, and the rubbish ones that came with the car on the rear - Achilles ATR Sport. I’m expecting them to struggle, but meh, it’s all part of the fun!
    I’ll experiment with a few cold temps and post back here with some data from the day.

I found street tyres you want to start 40ish cold then will go up 45-50psi hot
    With R888s I ran 24 cold aim for 32-38PSI hot
    And AD08R I run 27 cold, 32-34PSI hot

Shit tyres on the rear might help correct for the fact you don't have a Rear Swaybar Leif.

Just remember, the answer to oversteer in the MPS is MORE POWER!