User Tag List

Thread: knock knock...4+!! WOT log plz help

1. Default knock knock...now smokey..log

Did 600km in two trips in the last 24 hours. Plugged the AP in about halfway thru the 2nd trip and kept a lazy eye on a few engine readings including knock retard. Highest ive ever seen it. Up to 4.3 at one point. Ambient temp 35+ most the drive. Aircon on. Stock 07 mps 3 66XXX, last oil+filter 6000km ago, checked and topped up last week. Cobb AP V3 w/stage 1 98 tune.

See short log attached. 3rd gear WOT, knock pings to 3.15.... help?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by rocker21; 31-01-2015 at 09:09 PM.

2. Default

I had a highest 6.0 today. was high 30's, intake temps up around the 70 deg mark. Im a bit worried. Running the same map as you.

3. Default

Also highest boost spike at 20.4 psi, stage 1 tunes arent meant to eb that high right?

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by rbdazzled View Post
    Also highest boost spike at 20.4 psi, stage 1 tunes arent meant to eb that high right?
    nooo no they not. Highest ive seen it spike is 17.2 and that was in 6th gear w/ intake temp of 73F. Never seen anythin above 15, maybe 16 psi in 3rd/4th.

5. Default

Run the 95 map to see if that addresses it, could be a bad batch of fuel, or its running too much timing.

6. Default

Im just gonna play it safe and get a cutom tune. Have DP and TP to fit now, as well as a 3inch TIP. Wanted an upgraded intercooler but cant find a secondhandy at the moment.

3" tip...are you running a 3" maf as well, or standard size?

8. Default turbo seal...or not..?

SO I reflashed back to stage 0 to be safe. The same day after a short squirt I briefly blew a lot of white smoke at idle. Thought the worst and assumed turbo seals gone. BUT since then done almost 40km at sub 2500rpm and no smoke. Risked a short poke and car seems to boost fine, no smoke at WOT or afterward at idle. Log attached 3rd gear 2-4000rpm.

Thats not pinging, its knock retard which means its pulling timing to avoid knocking... Ive had a 2 minute look and it looks fine for a damn hot day with 57 degree boost temps!

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Thats not pinging, its knock retard which means its pulling timing to avoid knocking... Ive had a 2 minute look and it looks fine for a damn hot day with 57 degree boost temps!
    Thanks a lot mate. It was a damn hot day. And I was still running the stage 1 OTS map at that point which RayD has since advised against, at least for my vehicle.
    Now im back on stage 0 and knock retard seemed to be under control again until today i happened to log a 4.2 in 3rd gear, right before I came off the throttle. 43C boost air temp. see real short log snippet
    I am aware knock retard is not detonation per say, but its the best way we have to measure it with an AP right? I need to read up more on this.