User Tag List

Thread: Are you hanging out for a Gen 3 MPS?

Default Are you hanging out for a Gen 3 MPS?

Hi,

A Gen 3 MPS may or may not happen - depending on what news report you read. However, if it did surface - would you get one, and what would you hope it has?

I wouldn't get one straight away, but I'd hope for -

- AWD
    - 250kw
    - Subtle bodykit - especially to fix up the fat ugly rear end

JB

Nope, but I would consider a turbocharged straight 6, AWD manual, 300+kW MPS6.

Looking at buying a new mazda 3 SP25GT at the moment.
    More I look at and read about them more I think a new MPS would be brilliant, but more I see the chance of that happening is SFA.

Perfect car I think would be an AWD sedan with a 2ltr turbo.
    Based on the current price of a top of the range SP25 Astina and XD Astina (the diesel) I would guess such an MPS would be priced to take on the WRX STI, Golf R Audi S3
    The technology in the 3 would rival the S3.
    I wouldn't want a 2.5 turbo. Too much torque, not enough revs.
    Drive a MPS back to back with a Focus ST or Golf and you'll see just how rough and rubbish the 2.3 is in the MPS. A 2.5 wouldn't be any better.

Reasons it won't happen:
    Mazda is aiming everything they do at economy. Everything a MPS is not.
    They would need to develop a new DSG or Manual gearbox (market dictates most likely a DSG)
    The current "skyactiv" gearboxes would not stand a hope with a high torque engine attached. They are tiny little things designed purely to improve fuel economy.
    They couldn't reuse the MPS gearbox as like I said, it's rubbish compared to what would be its rivals, and also, market seems to mainly want autos now.

I just think it would be way too much investment for a drivetrain that realistically would only be used in one model car and a very low selling model at that.
    2013 Ford Focus ST - Performance Blue, Cobb AP

Gone 2006 3 MPS Sports - True Red, Koni FSD shocks, in dash OEM look Ebay GPS/DVD, Hypertech, RX8 Rims

There's a turbo sky active 4 coming to the cx9 in the next refresh...
    But yeah, revs and smoothness over sheer torque output...
    Think with advances in turbo tech the engine will be a lot better, but I'm still worried about transmission

Also, don't want a crappy people hauler engine in a sports car...
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 12-01-2015 at 10:55 AM.

I really like torque. I prefer it over power really, but there isn't any reason why you can't have the best of both worlds with a good engine, turbo and transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by wsDKII View Post
    I really like torque. I prefer it over power really, but there isn't any reason why you can't have the best of both worlds with a good engine, turbo and transmission.
    As long as it's more like the BMW n20 rather than the ecoboost found in the focus

Aka rev happy...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Same car only a few kilos lighter, stiffer RSB and a Quaife fitted as standard and you've got the best hot hatch money can buy for my mind.

Unless they have an AWD driveline that can take a decent launch with around 300kw or more once modded without falling apart like the MPS6 do with decent power they can shove it. They wil make good carpark objects for some though.

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    Drive a MPS back to back with a Focus ST or Golf and you'll see just how rough and rubbish the 2.3 is in the MPS. A 2.5 wouldn't be any better.
    Says man with Focus avatar Others would differ ... I like the engine rawness and that you can grandma it most of the time then fire up unexpectedly

Not yet, because I am loving my SP25GT too much to want to replace it.

There are already seven Mazda3's in the current range. With the CX-3 coming soon and the new Mazda2 (2 variants, neither as good as the one sold in Singapore/Indonesia) I doubt that showrooms will want to emphasise a new 3MPS as they do not sell as well as the milder cars.

An MPS6 as my next car, perhaps.