User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need abit of info on what my boost should be (noob question)

Default Need abit of info on what my boost should be (noob question)

Im still quite a beginner when it comes to my 6 mps (2005, stock)
    but im using the torque pro app and im trying to adjust the boost so it gives an accurate reading so i would love abit of help on what the highest psi my boost should go to? And what should the gauge read when im idling?

Alsoo im curious in doing some minor mods later on just to get abit extra power, where should i start??

Thanks!

Likely about 15 psi, but could see higher spikes every now and then.

At idle, should be -9 (from memory)

Okay no worries thanks for your help!

Yeah my stock dyno was steady at 15 or 16 psi from memory. Just had a turbo smart bpv on at the time.

Increasing the boost requires tuning, not as simple as using the boost tees like in other cars... Therefore first mods are an access port or versatune.
    2nd get fuel pump internals. From there decide how far you want to take the car and mod accordingly

Yeah im definitely got an accessport first on my list. Would you recommend a cobb sf intake and inlet hose for some beginning mods as well?

Quote Originally Posted by bradbaylis View Post
    Yeah im definitely got an accessport first on my list. Would you recommend a cobb sf intake and inlet hose for some beginning mods as well?
    If you're planning on staying stock turbo, sure...
    But if you think there's even the slightest chance you'll change, then I'd suggest a full metal intake (htp/jbr) which will be big enough to support different turbos and you just need to swap a single coupler
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Whats a good size inlet?
    I saw this jbr intake which looks pretty good! And allows me to upgrade the turbo without having to upgrade the intake again.
    JBR Tru-3.0 Wide Path Full Aluminum Intake System for Mazdaspeed 3 / 6 #MS-WP-30-AL - Revolution Performance Motorsports!

I'm running that now. Very happy with it and it flows plenty more on a k04 than a stock-sized intake. It's also 3" id where some 3" intakes are actually 3" measured from the outside.

Yeah, that'll work
    However, you WILL need a tune with it as it changes the size of the MAF housing.

(MAF tells the ECU how much air is coming in)

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Yeah, that'll work
    However, you WILL need a tune with it as it changes the size of the MAF housing.

(MAF tells the ECU how much air is coming in)
    Will I be able to use an APv3??

Will I be able to use an APv3??
    Yeah, that will let you tune it.
    There's a link on MSF for MAF calibrations for bigger intakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    I'm running that now. Very happy with it and it flows plenty more on a k04 than a stock-sized intake. It's also 3" id where some 3" intakes are actually 3" measured from the outside.
    Ah awesome! How noisy is the intake/spooling? Also whats the benefit of the aluminium intake over the silicone?

If you're planning on staying stock turbo, sure...
    But if you think there's even the slightest chance you'll change, then I'd suggest a full metal intake (htp/jbr) which will be big enough to support different turbos and you just need to swap a single coupler
    Ah awesome! How noisy is the intake/spooling? Also whats the benefit of the aluminium intake over the silicone?
    95% of the time, I don't find it that bad (htp 3"). It's not overbearing.

As for main benefit, see above...
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Yeah, that will let you tune it.
    There's a link on MSF for MAF calibrations for bigger intakes.
    Yeah i found this link on one of the forums Stratified MazdaSpeed / Mazda MPS Off The Shelf (S-OTS) Maps [Stratified Mazda S-OTS Maps] - It's Free! : Stratified Automotive Controls
    Theres a silicone 3" tru wide path for exactly the same price as the aluminium one, whats the difference between them?

That's for the stock sized intake...

The difference between the aluminium and silicone is that the aluminium will let you change couplers for non-stock turbos, whilst if you buy silicone for stock turbo, it won't fit on anything else...

Awwk yeah i just realised those ots maps are only for the power path intake not the wide path.
    Okay no worries thanks for clearing that up for me

Was your 3" htp a reasonably simple install? Im considering going the htp because it comes with the smaller battery tray so its fits in better
    Is there any chance you have a video of your htp intake? Would love to hear it!

All intakes are pretty simple. Rip old one out, don't break the ebcs, put new one in. FYI I think you have to buy the battery tray separately, and will need a smaller battery too, so it will be more expensive. Might have to relocate the ecu as well? It's only really needed for 3.5" and bigger

3" only requires removal of the lower ECU cover (gen 1)
    Otherwise, was pretty simple

Was your 3" htp a reasonably simple install? Im considering going the htp because it comes with the smaller battery tray so its fits in better
    Is there any chance you have a video of your htp intake? Would love to hear it!
    https://youtu.be/4dK1PKZAZ18
    Sorry for delay, finally got around to it...
    Not the greatest video tho... But it's reasonably quiet...
    It's almost silent at WOT, but there is a bit of noise on spool, as you can hear...
    Usually can barely hear it when listening to radio
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 17-03-2015 at 09:05 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast