User Tag List

Thread: Potential New MPS Owner

1. Default Potential New MPS Owner

Hi all, just thought I would drop by and get some advice from the experts. If you haven't gathered I am currently in the market for a new car and ever since taking a BK 3MPS for a test drive back in 2006 when my Mum was looking at a Mazda 3(she settled with the SP23 ) it has been in the back of my mind as a "sensible" but fun car. My previous cars have been a JZA70 Supra and a WH Grange. Now it's time to experience some 4cyl turbo goodness(currently driving an X3 Excel, no 4cyl goodness)...

The car in question is for sale at Graeme Powell Mazda in Seaford, has done 54,000k's, one owner(apparently old), serviced every 5000k's from what looks like 20,000k's up until 50,000k's and it looks as if it has had an easy life. My main concern would be paying too much for said car, they are currently asking $23,990. I mainly wanted to know if this is a reasonable sort of price. I couldn't find a RedBook value for Dealer Used but Private sales are hovering around the 20k mark with 70,000k's + on them.

The lower the k's the better for me as from what I can gather some issues may arise closer to 100,000k's. Are these problems more so related to the Gen I MPS or are they common on the Gen II also. If so it isn't and issue and I'd rather do the preventative maintenance.

One final question, what is clearance like with snow chains on these as it will hopefully see some rather spirited drives up to Buller and Falls. Couldn't get chains on the Grange, too much lows.

2. Default

For a car with that low k's, expect premium price (if the body is mickey mouse). But, as mentioned, I wouldn't pay any more than ~$18 if it's untouched. I'm driving an '06 bought from Graeme Powell Mazda and has had next to no issues. I don't track but like to give it a squirt every now and then.

If it's stock height, chains will be tight but should fit.

As for problems with them, there isn't anything will go without some serious thrashing. If you mod it, remember that money is needed. Just check the engine mounts. They wear quick with the torque these things put out. Suspension also gets a little rattly rather quickly. Everything else is standard wear and tear items.

If you're looking for a $20k car, maybe look into the Gen 2 since they come with SatNav and the Gen 1 doesn't.
    3 MPS - Rolling on Pirelli PZero Neros, sitting on Bilstein B12's, stock internals... still makes me smile with the Zoom Zoom.

I also own a Graeme Powell sold and serviced '06 MPS3 but with considerably higher km - bought at 140km two years ago, now at 160km (serviced every 10K it seems). It has not given me one ounce of trouble, the car was clearly never thrashed and I love my MPS.

$23K could net you an MPS Gen2 without much hassle on the private market. A Gen1 can potentially be picked up for $10K less than what you're looking at right now. Is it the Sports or Luxury model?

JB

4. Default

Sorry I should have clarified, this is indeed a Gen 2 MPS Luxury model. Good to know about reliability, any of the basic stuff I can get pretty cheap as I work for Supercheap Auto and our discount is quite nice. Thanks for the replies, may head down tomorrow and place a deposit on it.

I like how wild the BK is but I got that out of the system with my last two cars, the BL seemed like a much nicer ride, even when it was almost raining sideways on Monday lol.
    Last edited by Xsjado; 01-01-2015 at 07:10 PM.

My aluminum 2010 BL will be going on the market soon. It has just over 50,000kms and that'll be around the price I will be asking. So it seems fair to me

Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 02-01-2015 at 06:32 PM.

6. Default

So I placed a deposit on the car today. Should hopefully be picking it up next Tuesday. I took it for another test drive today and one thing I did notice but forgot to mention was it seems to have a decent vibration coming through the pedals when it idles. Should this be a major concern? Clean car Caffeine, how long until it is for sale? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Xsjado View Post
    So I placed a deposit on the car today. Should hopefully be picking it up next Tuesday. I took it for another test drive today and one thing I did notice but forgot to mention was it seems to have a decent vibration coming through the pedals when it idles. Should this be a major concern? Clean car Caffeine, how long until it is for sale? :P
    Constant vibration or does it "pulse".
    Constant minor vibration is fine (Likely stiffer engine mount(s)) but if it pulses, it's a sign of a bent rod.
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Constant vibration or does it "pulse".
    Constant minor vibration is fine (Likely stiffer engine mount(s)) but if it pulses, it's a sign of a bent rod.
    Constant vibration, my Supra had solid engine mounts and didn't have as much vibration lol.

Constant vibration, my Supra had solid engine mounts and didn't have as much vibration lol.
    Inline 6 vs inline 4...
    A straight 6 is nice and balanced, a 4 cylinder is unbalanced... And they're even worse at capacities over 2.0...

So, yeah, likely more vibrations...
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Inline 6 vs inline 4...
    A straight 6 is nice and balanced, a 4 cylinder is unbalanced... And they're even worse at capacities over 2.0...

So, yeah, likely more vibrations...
    Makes a lot more sense :P.

Clean car Caffeine, how long until it is for sale? :P
    Congrats on the new car . Mine will most likely be going up within the month. It's more or less ready to go
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    Congrats on the new car . Mine will most likely be going up within the month. It's more or less ready to go
    Traitor...

So, what you got your eye on?

Lol it was always going to happen Sam

95% settled on a BMW Z4M Coupe. Just have to wait for the right one to come up. I've got patience though

Now you will have a coupe to match your partner's Mx5

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    My aluminum 2010 BL will be going on the market soon. It has just over 50,000kms and that'll be around the price I will be asking. So it seems fair to me

Hi Dan - ive only just joined this forum (1st post) as im looking for a BL MPS to replace my 2011 Golf R.

Could you please give me some information about your car, such as:
    - is it the luxury model?
    - servicing details
    - any mods you may have done (looks lowered and with RX8 wheels)?
    - what price you are looking to get

The aluminium colour is my favourite, followed by the metallic red. Id like to buy a low km well maintained example that hasnt been thrashed.

My Golf R is currently on the market and i dont think it will last long, as its low km (26,000km), absolutely immaculate inside and out and is one of about 12 manual versions for sale in Aust.

@MPSeeker

Don't mind me asking MPSeeker - how come you are selling your Golf R with such low K's? Do you have a link for it on wherever you have it advertised? I may have someone looking for a car like yours
    Dan's MPS3 has been looked after well - can vouch for it...
    @Caffeine Fiend - interested party for your car...

Quote Originally Posted by mech81 View Post
    @MPSeeker

Don't mind me asking MPSeeker - how come you are selling your Golf R with such low K's? Do you have a link for it on wherever you have it advertised? I may have someone looking for a car like yours
    Dan's MPS3 has been looked after well - can vouch for it...
    @Caffeine Fiend - interested party for your car...
    Hi mech81,
    I’ve just done my obligatory 1st post/introduction here which will give you some info on the car I am selling: http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/new-m...zda-3-mps.html

But basically I purchased the Golf R brand new in April 2011. I walk to work each day as I live about 2km from work and only really use the car on weekends or occasionally during the week – hence the reason for the low km’s. We have a 2nd car (2010 VW Golf GTI) as well so we use that one more so for going to the shops/groceries etc and im not quite as fussy about this car – although still much fussier than most people.

The main reason I am selling it is simply the fact that I have an expensive car sitting in the garage not being used very much. My wife and I are doing some renovations to our house this year and also expecting our 1st child, so it makes financial sense to move along the “expensive car sitting in the garage not being used much” and get something cheaper but still new/reliable/fast/turbo and fun to drive. If I wasn’t a car enthusiast, I would simply buy a $5000 banger and drive it until it dies – but unfortunately, I AM a car enthusiast, and want a nice car that I can be proud of. Im not trying to sell the Golf R because it’s about to blow up or anything like that – the car has been faultless, and believe me, after the amount of time and money I’ve put into mods/keeping it clean etc it will be very sad to see it being driven off by someone else. The engines in the Golf R’s are also very strong and hugely reliable, so it will no doubt run for many years to come providing it is maintained. Here is a link to a VW forum I am a member of with details of the car – at this stage I have only advertised the car on 2x VW forums and 1x VW Facebook group as I would like to see the car go to an enthusiast who will appreciate it as I have. I would prefer NOT to have to advertise it on the likes of CarSales etc. FS: Lucas_R's MY11.5 Golf R manual, 26,000km's, immaculate condition, 211kw

Quote Originally Posted by MPSeeker View Post
    Hi Dan - ive only just joined this forum (1st post) as im looking for a BL MPS to replace my 2011 Golf R.

Could you please give me some information about your car, such as:
    - is it the luxury model?
    - servicing details
    - any mods you may have done (looks lowered and with RX8 wheels)?
    - what price you are looking to get

The aluminium colour is my favourite, followed by the metallic red. Id like to buy a low km well maintained example that hasnt been thrashed.

My Golf R is currently on the market and i dont think it will last long, as its low km (26,000km), absolutely immaculate inside and out and is one of about 12 manual versions for sale in Aust.
    PM sent mate

Dennis, thanks for the heads up mate
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now