User Tag List

Thread: The British Grand Prix Preview - Silverstone prepares to bid adieu

Blog Entries

Default The British Grand Prix Preview - Silverstone prepares to bid adieu

A sell-out crowd. The chance for Jenson Button to continue his incredible form with another ‘home’ win to echo those of Stirling Moss, Tony Brooks, Peter Collins, Jim Clark, Jackie Stewart, James Hunt, John Watson, Nigel Mansell, Damon Hill, Johnny Herbert, David Coulthard and Lewis Hamilton. No wonder there is so much expectation ahead of Silverstone this weekend!

The local Red Bull Racing team harbour great hopes, with the Adrian Newey RB5 that has been so good in really high-speed corners all season. Ferrari believe that their new aerodynamic package, shaken down by Felipe Massa at Fiorano recently, will put them back at the front.

Toyota and Williams are cautiously optimistic, as are Renault. And Brawn believe that revised endplates, rear wing and suspension settings will keep Button and team-mate Rubens Barrichello on top.

Looking back at Turkey, team principal Ross Brawn says: “I was extremely pleased with the performance of the team at Istanbul Park and the way in which we were able to maintain our competitive position. We worked very hard ahead of the race to identify any potential areas of weaknesses versus our competitors and the improvements that we saw over the weekend proved that the team are able to respond quickly and take the necessary steps forward. We have been quietly making progress over the past few weeks and have a series of upgrades to come this weekend.

"The British Grand Prix will be a particularly special weekend for our team this year. Our base in Brackley is just eight miles from the circuit and we are very proud, as a British team, to be going into our home race leading the constructors' and drivers' championships. I have been fortunate enough to have been on the winning team at Silverstone in the past and it is an extremely special feeling that I would love to share with this team. We are holding a family day at our factory on Sunday for everyone who is not working at the track and it would be fantastic to head back there in the evening with a great result to celebrate what should be a very memorable weekend."

Button comes to Silverstone convinced that Red Bull will be stronger than they were in Turkey. “I was surprised by their pace there. There is only one really high-speed corner there, but for some reason their pace was not strong there. They have been better than us in the high-speed corners all year. So, I don’t know, but we did take a step forward with the balance of our car in Turkey. It should work well at Silverstone, but Red Bull and Ferrari will be the biggest threats. Our car seems to be working everywhere, but we need to sort out our Fridays a bit better so we can be a bit more confident. But our race pace is good.”

He also expects team mate Barrichello to be very strong. “Rubens will be a big challenge. Those three Rubens, the Red Bulls and Ferrari - will challenge me for sure. Rubens is a tough guy, and always goes well here. We all want to win Silverstone, that’s why we’re here. I want to win every race. When you have a competitive car that has to be your aim, it doesn’t need to be said.

“Winning the world championship is the most important thing to me. If I win it and don’t win at Silverstone, I won’t be disappointed. But I would love to win at Silverstone. I watched Nigel Mansell win here, and I saw that amazing passion from the British fans. Their emotion would make a win here very special. But I am taking it race by race.”

Massa, meanwhile, says: “We have new components on the car this weekend, including a front wing and a lighter chassis, and that should make us more competitive. In Turkey we went backwards over the course of the weekend, after being very competitive on Friday and on Saturday morning. We now know why that happened, which is the most important thing: we believe that with the very high track temperatures, we ran too low on the downforce and should have run with more rear wing, because as the temperature rises, the grip from the tyres went down and we needed to compensate for that.”

One man who has lower expectations than normal of Silverstone is last year’s hero, Lewis Hamilton. The high-speed nature of the track is unlikely to suit the McLaren MP4-24 with its current aerodynamic problems, and he says: “Points are definitely the goal, and I guess I just have to adjust from 2008. It’ll be a struggle, but we’ll see. In practice we seem to be quite good, but then we tend to drop back as the track gets grippier.”

Silverstone is one of the fastest race tracks in F1 and a favourite with many of the drivers. Formerly a World War Two airfield, it staged its first non-championship race in 1948 before hosting the inaugural Formula One World Championship Grand Prix in May 1950.

It is renowned for the challenge presented by its fast, sweeping bends in the first half of the lap - Copse, Maggots, Becketts and Stowe - then the slower sections of Vale, Club and Abbey, the superfast Bridge, and the technical complex of Priory, Brooklands, Luffield and Woodcote, and demands high downforce allied to aerodynamic efficiency.

Bridgestone will bring their hard and soft compounds, the same as they did in Turkey, where several teams found it difficult to generate decent temperatures running the former.
    The British Grand Prix will air live at 10:00pm EST on Sunday night on ONEHD.

[Source: Formula1.com]
    2014 Mk7 Golf R | DSG | Reflex Silver | Leather | Drive Assist | Bi-Xenon Headlights
    1981 Lincoln Town Car | Auto | 80s Cream | 90s brown interior | 5.0L V8 | Currently no working headlights

Could Webber get his maiden win?

Loving the F1 on One HD this season, first F1 I've watched live in a very long time.

Blog Entries

Yeah same. It is good coverage.

It's good if you have the live scoreboard from formula1.com going at the same time. Adds a whole new level to it.

oh well, formula1 is up shit creek now with the top 8 squads not signing for next year. New series here we come

Quote Originally Posted by armthehomeless View Post
    Yeah same. It is good coverage.

It's good if you have the live scoreboard from formula1.com going at the same time. Adds a whole new level to it.

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino View Post
    oh well, formula1 is up shit creek now with the top 8 squads not signing for next year. New series here we come
    I wanna see them going through with it, and quit the bluffing.
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

they have buddy. As of today only williams and force india are F1 Teams

Some shit called FOTA

They have so far, good on them now they better stick to it.

If you don't have access to receive One for the live action and have broadband then go here and download the client:

FilmOn-TV watch live Television channels broadcasting TV on the Internet.

20mb later you have a viewer where your can watch all the standard free to air UK TV channels live, plus some errrr other stuff...

F1 is on BBC1

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

Oh yeah... Go Webber!

I hate watching that crap

Nobody is puting a gun to your head

Quote Originally Posted by MISSMPS View Post
    I hate watching that crap
    Meh its ok with a couple of beers ..... got about 5 laps in and fell asleep.....

Drunken couch naps FTW!!!
    マツダスピード

This has been one of the better years for F1. It had been a bit processional in the past when it was always about Maclaren or Ferrari. But now it's anyones race.

I'm really enjoying it this year and it's great to see Webber getting regular podium positions. He's an immensely talented driver who should have had more success if he hadn't had such a run of bad luck. I like it when it rains, the lesser drivers suddenly aren't so fast anymore and talented guys like Webber appear at the front of the pack and put on a truly entertaining display of driving skill.

Gone to Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    This has been one of the better years for F1. It had been a bit processional in the past when it was always about Maclaren or Ferrari. But now it's anyones race.

Not really anyone's race, BRAWN seems to be the new Ferrari and RedBull the new MacLaren, great for a change.

Plus loving watching Mr Hamilton struggling at the back
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    Nobody is puting a gun to your head

How do you know??? Are you stalking me???

No im not, do you want me to?

Webber 2nd was an alright result. Would have liked to see how close he would have been to Vettel if he wasn't stuck behind Barrichello for the first 15-20 laps. I still think Vettel would have won, he was flying.

The call on having live timings up on formula1.com while watching the race was a great one too Rowan, added to the experience being able to check out the live sector times and lap times.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post

Not really anyone's race, BRAWN seems to be the new Ferrari and RedBull the new MacLaren, great for a change.

Plus loving watching Mr Hamilton struggling at the back
    Brawn got their season off to a good start with some good qualifying and an early technical advantage that obviously lead to some good finishing positions, but they aren't dominating. Their on-track performance shows that when they're not out front in clean air they're no quicker than anyone else.

If Brawn are unable to continue to put their cars on the front row of the grid there's no guarantee they'll stay at the top of the points table, simply because they aren't dominant.

As the RB5 design matures the Brawn technical advantage diminishes and I think RBR might now throw their weight behind Vettel for a run at the championship. As long as it doesn't rain and expose his lack of experience I think his animal instinct could carry him through to win the championship.

In the meantime Toyota, Ferrari, BMW, and Williams are all capable of winning races.

It hasn't been this competitive in ages.

Gone to Volvo