User Tag List

Thread: Please Please Help - Ticking/Knocking noise MPS3 Very confused

1. Default Please Please Help - Ticking/Knocking noise MPS3 Very confused

Hello everyone...

I have made an effort to search the internet and forums to try and eliminate possible things that are causing this ticking/knocking noise!
    i get my car serviced at HPF, I asked them the last 2 occasions to check out this noise coming from the back of my engine against the firewall! On both occasions they couldn't find/hear the noise after I left it there...even thou the service manager heard it and checked it out while I was dropping it off...

I took it it to an independent mechanic in my area for he's opinion, he listened for the knocking noise with he's screwdriver, after letting me listen to him placing the screwdriver on the TURBO I was convinced it was the turbo, even thou it still spools and seems fine!
    Took it for a 3rd opinion to a friend of a friend who is also a MPs3 fanatic and he believes it's the VVT, needs to be replaced!

The car has 128000k'z on it, no serious mods, only exhaust and CAI...
    Suggestions on what the problem could possibly be would be greatly appreciated but more importantly if you guys can please suggest someone ANYONE who has worked on MPS and has knowledge on them...I'm really strapped for time and I just wanna get it sorted out, as I'm worried about it and would like it fixed...I do not wanna take to a Mazda dealer as I'm not a fan of them , and HPF is out of the question as they didn't help me out last night even thou I'm a customer of there's!!!

I'm in the SE Suburbs but I will travel anywhere Melb Metro to resolve this!!
    The ticking/knocking noise as I said is from the back/under the cooler...it does not make the sound when cold, only when it's warmed up, especially if I've been stuck in traffic etc: long drives....seems to be getting worse!
    Car runs absolutely fine...

Please HELP )) need suggestions for someone to check it out + do repairs

Post up an audio clip if you can. Ticking/knocking noise isn't very descriptive.

It could be a loose heat shield in the exhaust manifold/turbo area. Try taking them off when it's cold and see if the noise disappears once the car is warmed up again.

3. Default

Yep I will post a an audio link hopefully 2mrw...don't have the car tonight, getting coilovers adjusted!

Try RX8 Specialties, they know their stuff - either that or Mev.

Hey mate, I had this issue with my 1st MPS, long story short it was a dodgy VVT and worn timing chain tensioner. The ticking noise was the stretched timing chain slapping against the worn tensioner and timing covers. Replaced the tensioner and chain and the noise was gone. Hope this helps!