User Tag List

Thread: new member and mps owner saying hi

1. Default new member and mps owner saying hi

HI there,
    My name is jessy, I'm a new member and back in November I bought myself a black mazda 6 mps, I'm soooooo happy with it, it's by far the best car I have ever owned.
    I am keen to know everything about these cars and what I can do to improve it, I found this community and thought it the best place to learn
    thank you

best place to learn. Also look into the US and UK sites as well as they have many more people who have bought the car and modded it. There would only be maybe 100-200 MPS 6 modders in AUS from what i have seen (including myself).

what are you wanting to do?

usual recomendations are for:

SRI/CAI with TIP upgrade
    HPFP upgrade
    Dump Pipe upgrade
    etune / normal tune

these 4 are pretty much what most people do first.

Read my sig link for everything i have done if you want.

Also a rear sway bar is a good thing to do as well.
    Unfortunately for you most parts that people buy come from the US and with our exchange rate what it is at the moment.....not looking good!.

maybe you can look at the members buy and sell to pick up a good deal?

look forward to seeing what you do!
    wsDK_II
    Radiant Ebony Mazda MPS 6 (September-2007)
    My Ride: http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/membe...-services.html
    What is stock????

3. Default

Thanks for that I'll be sure to check out those websites as well.
    to start with i want to know everything about this car, how it works
    maintenance
    all the bits so I know what upgrades and mods will work best.
    the only things I have been thinking of doing are after market brakes.
    the dump pipe upgrade is something I didn't think about but might be another way to go.
    just thinking about getting the workshop manual and reading, got to walk before you can run I guess lol
    everything on the car is stock except for a pod filter which has to be replaced

Welcome
    The biggest points of failure in these cars are the high pressure fuel pump (drops pressure, engine goes boom, usually only an issue as you mod more) and rear engine mount (engine moves around more, bigger issue in a 3)

Other than that, you've got yourself a nice car

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Welcome
    The biggest points of failure in these cars are the high pressure fuel pump (drops pressure, engine goes boom, usually only an issue as you mod more) and rear engine mount (engine moves around more, bigger issue in a 3)

Other than that, you've got yourself a nice car
    My brother owned a mazda 6 years ago and I alalways liked it but when I found out about the turbo mps I'm like yes I have to have one,
    I have read on this site that people do recommend upgrading/ replacing the fuel pump
    thanks for the tips

6. Default

That is the type of information I'm looking to learn so I can beat problems before they start so if there is a good thread someone could please point me to

Workshop manuals are available in the VIP section, welcome to the forum!

So yea, anyway - biggest issues with these cars (in order of likelyhood of occurrence from what i have seen / heard)

1 - Rear Engine Mount going (also sometimes the side engine mounts will go shortly afterwards.....best to replace them all at about 100,000kms....or at least, i replaced them all at 140,000kms)
    2 - VVT issues - VVT rattel and then zoom zoom boom - look this up on this forum - many, many posts. Also @EdgeAutosport sells a kit for this.............any pretty much everything you will ever need (performance wise :P)....
    3 - Rear shocks going - the rear of the car will suffer the most wear and tear over time with the suspension.
    4 - Rear bushes going in control arms - on mine the lower lateral control arm bushes failed at 145,000 kms. Cant buy the bushings seperatly so had to buy new control arms
    5 - Rear toe arm bushings going - same as above
    6 - Rear sway bar bushings / suspension links - were about to fail so got new sway bar links
    7 - Turbo seals - if you have a 2005/2006 these will go earlier because of poorer build quality. i would make sure you check this out.
    8 - Rear differential mount snapping - can happen if you constantly rape your car / is rusted because of lots of snow trips / too much powaaaaaaaaaaaar
    9 - general wear and tear as per normal.

NOTE - IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE MODDING THIS CAR FOR MORE POWER THEN YOU MUST UPGRADE THE FUEL PUMP!!!!
    failure to do so will put you at a high risk of knocking due to the stock fuel pump having a lower rate of pressure / flow that it can sustain.

Some people here have modded without the fuel pump and lived. And some have not.

If you cant afford to do it properly i would strongly suggest you wait it out and save till you can do it!

by the way, i have spent about $11k on mods (inc labour) so far (although got my car for $15k so it isnt toooo bad).

good luck!
    wsDK_II
    Radiant Ebony Mazda MPS 6 (September-2007)
    My Ride: http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/membe...-services.html
    What is stock????